FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2015 · Thanks For The Advice... [3 Imgs]

dswiger
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Thanks For The Advice... [3 Imgs]

Tuan Le wrote:
Whoever first persuaded you to visit the place deserves a nice dinner for these images that you captured. All three are terrific.

Hey, that might be me since I suggested it
But how would I collect!

Glad you went Adam

Dan

May 06, 2015 at 02:45 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Thanks For The Advice... [3 Imgs]

Adam very nice images, and cool processing. it is always interesting to know some technical details (exif) of the images as it helps us all learn.

May 06, 2015 at 03:22 PM
butlerkid
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Thanks For The Advice... [3 Imgs]

Wonderful images! Very nicely done!

What route did you take to get there? Did you stay overnight to be able to shoot at dawn?

May 06, 2015 at 04:03 PM
Adam_A
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Thanks For The Advice... [3 Imgs]

Wow thanks for all the comments. Here's some info:

These were all taken with a Canon 5dmkiii and 16-35/4 lens set at f/11. All are bracketed and blended manually for sky and foreground.

I went from Las Vegas through St. George and took the 60 mi dirt road (Antelope?). It took 2 hours to get to St. George from Vegas, about 1 hour to get to the dirt road, and about 2-2.5 hours on the dirt road itself. The dirt road wasn't bad for the first 40 miles. After the ranger station, I can see why a 4-wheel drive vehicle is recommended.

I slept there in my rented SUV ($15 for the permit at St. George....though you could probably get away with it for free). I originally parked my vehicle in the parking area thinking that was the campground. But the ranger asked me to move the vehicle into the true campground and walk in the morning to the cliffs, which took 10-15 minutes....no biggie. I was only at Toroweep for around 15 hours, and left right after shooting the sunrise.

It was very windy and sprinkling a little for the sunset shot. But right at sundown, the color really intensified and it became dry. The sunrise was much more calm.

Thanks sincerely, again!

Adam

May 06, 2015 at 05:36 PM
butlerkid
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Thanks For The Advice... [3 Imgs]

Thanks for the info!

I've been to the GC many times.....but never to Toroweap!

May 06, 2015 at 06:03 PM
JameelH
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Thanks For The Advice... [3 Imgs]

Terrific images - #2 for me as well. Nice location to be bookmarked for a possible future trip.

May 06, 2015 at 06:11 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Thanks For The Advice... [3 Imgs]

Adam_A wrote:
Wow thanks for all the comments. Here's some info:

These were all taken with a Canon 5dmkiii and 16-35/4 lens set at f/11. All are bracketed and blended manually for sky and foreground.

I went from Las Vegas through St. George and took the 60 mi dirt road (Antelope?). It took 2 hours to get to St. George from Vegas, about 1 hour to get to the dirt road, and about 2-2.5 hours on the dirt road itself. The dirt road wasn't bad for the first 40 miles. After the ranger station, I can see why a 4-wheel drive vehicle is recommended.

I
...Show more
thanks for the detailed info. the images are stellar. wall hangers.

May 07, 2015 at 02:28 AM
Adam_A
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Thanks For The Advice... [3 Imgs]

Thanks again for the input. I could perhaps darken the sky in #2 a bit. It seems more people prefer #1 and #2, not so much the B&W one though.

Adam

May 07, 2015 at 10:30 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Thanks For The Advice... [3 Imgs]

wow...#2 is just killer, great texture and great light in the sky.

May 08, 2015 at 07:53 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Thanks For The Advice... [3 Imgs]

Beautiful!!

May 08, 2015 at 01:45 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Thanks For The Advice... [3 Imgs]

Adam, the colors have the wow factor, but I love the black and white also. As a photographer, I find 2 a bit more realistic, but for general public, 1 may have more appeal. I am immediatly drawn and surprized by the relatively dark skies in 1, with son setting beyind the rocks on the right of the image, yet the rocks are so illuminated and have so much detail.

I still like it very much, but its more of and obvious blend. light just does not work that way, which you already know.

May 08, 2015 at 04:17 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Thanks For The Advice... [3 Imgs]

Thanks for sharing. Wonderful set.

You might want to play with curves a bit if you haven't already... (luminosity blending):

1) spot on
2) bring down the highlights, even significantly
3) bring up the midtones a bit

Edited on May 09, 2015 at 08:40 AM · View previous versions

May 08, 2015 at 04:42 PM
aFeinberg
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Thanks For The Advice... [3 Imgs]

What epic conditions. Nailed it.

aF

May 08, 2015 at 06:20 PM
Adam_A
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Thanks For The Advice... [3 Imgs]

Yes, I could bring down the highlights a bit, particularly on #2. For #1, there was a little bit of sunlight highlighting the mountains to the left. Under most conditions, that side of the mountains really lights up around this time of day, which I was actually hoping for....but it wasn't intense enough. I think that really would've made the image pop.

Thanks for the advice.

Adam

May 08, 2015 at 09:47 PM
JameelH
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Thanks For The Advice... [3 Imgs]

Spectacular. Fantastic landscape.

May 10, 2015 at 04:21 PM
Davenhill
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Thanks For The Advice... [3 Imgs]

All three are excellent. Very well done.

I'm a bit torn on #1. It works very well just as it is. But as others have said, there are two very strong elements (the sky and the canyon) that are competing for attention. Compare to #2 and #3 which naturally direct attention to the canyon.

Given the choice, I would emphasize the canyon over the sky in #1, as it is the more unique/stunning feature. That of course opens up a wide variety of options.

Some examples: cropping down from the top right corner until the top third crop line hits the small promontory of rocks; brightening the left side of the canyon; or cropping straight down from the top, to give it more of a panorama look. And so on.

Or just keep it as is.

May 10, 2015 at 05:24 PM
MajeedB
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Thanks For The Advice... [3 Imgs]

Really like #2!

May 10, 2015 at 11:30 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Thanks For The Advice... [3 Imgs]

Adam, boy as a newbie on Fm, one would never know it by your outstanding posts here...not that this is an indicator but many newcomers don't post much.
Thedetail in#1 is just outstanding!! Well done!
Dan

May 16, 2015 at 10:29 AM
ChrisKayler
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Thanks For The Advice... [3 Imgs]

I think the black and white image is my favorite. So much drama and texture within the clouds. Just lovely. You have nice rich blacks and bright whites, and everything in between. Well done.

May 16, 2015 at 11:32 AM
sinizter

p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Thanks For The Advice... [3 Imgs]

Really love the third one.

Sep 02, 2015 at 05:48 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.