New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 100-400 seems softer on newer camera

Bsmooth
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 100-400 seems softer on newer camera

I've been using a 1DMKII for a few years now and just switched over to a 1DMKIV. I was expecting the 100-400 to be even better with the new body.However the images seem slightly softer when blown up . Also at the same setting, the newer body seems to need more light. Images I shot on the MKII at ISO 400 seem better than on the newer body at the same ISO levels. Even at shutter speeds of 1/500 the images seem soft, in order to get them sharper I need to shoot longer shutter speeds or pump up the ISO even higher.
What would the minimum shutter speed for using a 100-400 version 1 be ? Or should I say the best shutter speed for birds in flight. I tried shooting swallows and even with a shutter speed of 1/1250, the images were soft.

May 04, 2015 at 11:51 AM
gqllc007
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 100-400 seems softer on newer camera

Did you AFMA the new body and lens together?

May 04, 2015 at 12:09 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 100-400 seems softer on newer camera

I had a 1DIV when I got my 100-400L IS (Mk I) in 2012 and then I added a 1DX. I was generally very happy with the sharpness that it provided. I sold the 100-400 Mk I to help pay for a new Mk II this past winter, and it's better, especially for handheld shooting at lower shutter speeds, and away from the centre. My 100-400 Mk I was always plenty sharp in the central parts of the image, on 1DIV, 1DX, and 6D.

The 1DIV brings a few new considerations to the table: (i) it's a higher density sensor than the 1DII (87 ppmm vs. 61 ppmm), and so it'll be more sensitive to showing 'blur' at 100%; (ii) it has a more complex AF system, with more setup options; and (iii) the 1DIV has AF microadjustment (AFMA).

Have you done AFMA tests with the 100-400L IS + 1DIV? If not, that's where I would start.

The minimum shutter speed depends a lot on your shooting style and how well you can track a moving target. I generally shoot BIF with IS turned off. In some cases with horizontal or vertical flight (relative to the photographer) Mode 2 can work OK, but it can hinder you if the bird flies an erratic or 'diagonal' path with respect to the photographer.

It might be worthwhile to perform some controlled tests with the lens on a tripod (IS off), and use LiveView manual focus to get critical focus on a flattish target with good 'granularity' (e.g. a brick wall). That'll show you what the lens + camera is capable of providing for sharpness. If it still doesn't look sharp, maybe it neeeds some TLC at a Canon service centre.

May 04, 2015 at 12:13 PM
uz2work
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 100-400 seems softer on newer camera

Understand that, if you are looking at the 1D Mark IV files at 100%, that is equivalent to looking at the 1D Mark II files at about 150%. If you insist on making the comparison, the more valid comparison than looking at images from both cameras at 100% would be to compare the 1D Mark II images at 150% to the 1D Mark IV images at 100%.

Also, as you increase the pixel density, you need even faster shutter speeds to get the most out of that higher pixel density. If you use the same shutter speeds on the 1D Mark IV that you did with the 1D Mark II, the results should be pretty similar at comparable output sizes, but, if you want to take advantage of the extra pixels on the 1D Mark IV to be able to crop more or print larger, you will need to use faster shutter speeds.

For birds in flight, and especially for a bird like a swallow that darts about very quickly, I'd want to use shutter speeds much faster than 1/1250. Unless you are panning at precisely the same speed that the bird is moving, slower shutter speeds are going to introduce a form of motion blur.

May 04, 2015 at 12:18 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 100-400 seems softer on newer camera

The 100-400 mkI was my go to lens for quite a few years (Shooting youth sports). However, It gained the nickname as my "solar noon lens" because on a 1d2 it worked best with a lot of light. The same was true (but with better results) with a 1d3/4... However, with the 5d3; 7d2 & 1DX, the lens worked much nicer because the newer generation bodies focus so much better in lower light.

I had semi-retired my 100-400 mkI before the new bodies came out. The lens worked so much better with the new bodies, I re-discovered the lens. It is the perfect field sport lens on a second body (400 2.8 is still my #1). I like the range so much I picked up the MKII...

Back to the topic, F/5.6 slows down the focus a bit. You didn't mention what you are shooting; Depending on what you are shooting, there may be some technique issues too. I shoot mine at ISO 640-1000 for field sports to maintain at least a 1/2000th. If you can hand-hold a 400mm at 1/500th and get good results, your a better man than me!

I missed your BIF comment... On a 1D4, I'd push the ISO up.... Even 1/1250 may be slow... If you're in low light, combine that with F/5.6 and you're working against yourself a bit. Top if off with any MA issues....

May 04, 2015 at 12:31 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 100-400 seems softer on newer camera

I guess I was expecting the same results at 100% that I was getting with my 1DMKII. I didn't even think of the pixel density, thats a very good point.
The biggest issue I was having was with perched birds. I would swear I would have the center focus right on the head of the bird(btw that focus rectangle does seem bigger on my MKIV than in the MKII) and I would get the branch next to the bird in perfect focus but not the bird itself. I was trying to shoot at 200 ISO, but found I just wasn't getting a high enough shutter speed, even in full sunlight.
I did think it would increase focus speed with the 100-400 Ver 1 when going from my MKII to the MKIV, but so far I haven't seen that much of an increase in performance.
Even with the MKIV the 100-400 does still seem to need a lot of light. In shadows sometime it does seem to go back and forth searching for a focus point.
I think its probably more of a user issue and newness the the camera.
So far as far as the swallows go I'm finding using all the 45 points seems to work best, but I also need all the light and shutter speed I can get.

May 04, 2015 at 01:54 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.