Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · HS Soccer (Boys) - Red Lion Invitational 2015

pmartin4665
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HS Soccer (Boys) - Red Lion Invitational 2015

Spent the weekend in Fishers, IN for the Red Lion Invitational 2015 Soccer Tournament. C&C welcome. Thank you!

© pmartin4665 2015

Attempt on goal

© pmartin4665 2015

The pursuit

© pmartin4665 2015

Heads-up!

May 04, 2015 at 11:44 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HS Soccer (Boys) - Red Lion Invitational 2015

Best of the group is #1, a bit more shutter speed would have been nice. #2, not a lot of action, plenty of negative space. #3 doesn't work for me because the eye continually tries to fill in what's not there.

May 04, 2015 at 12:45 PM
pmartin4665
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HS Soccer (Boys) - Red Lion Invitational 2015

Thanks Schlotz! I appreciate the feedback . . . I agree, #1 is my favorite. #2 piqued my interest because of the facial expression of the pursuer and #3 I admit, is difficult to discern the green soccer ball behind the player's head. Fortunately there are more matches to develop my skills.

May 04, 2015 at 07:05 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HS Soccer (Boys) - Red Lion Invitational 2015

You already look to be shooting from a low position which is good. Saw the ball in #3, point I was attempting to make had to do with timing. This frame was too late in the sequence. Getting isolation on the action is important thus using a shallower DoF such as f/4.0 would be my next suggestion. BTW: try to keep the shutter speed above 1/1000 when possible. With soccer, you want ball, faces and peak action to fill the frame.

Matt

May 04, 2015 at 08:02 PM
pmartin4665
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HS Soccer (Boys) - Red Lion Invitational 2015

Shlotz: Thank you for taking the time to provide input. I'll give it a shot this weekend with an upcoming match!

May 04, 2015 at 10:17 PM
Trevorma
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HS Soccer (Boys) - Red Lion Invitational 2015

So the EXIF shows these were shot in "Auto" exposure......

My first comment would be to learn how to shoot manual. You have thousands of dollars in gear and to be honest the shots at f7.1 could be shot on a rebel and a 70-300 lens..... I am not saying there is anything wrong with a rebel and a kit lens, but you have invested money in good gear, use it to it's potential.

f7.1 is not needed, and I would only shoot soccer at 1/800th if it were at night or very overcast day and I wanted to keep my ISO down.

Lower the f stop, increase the ISO a bit and get your shutter up to 1/1600th or so in the day light.

Get it in your mind that your camera only has one setting mode - MANUAL and learn what you need to do to get the shot right.....

May 05, 2015 at 09:10 AM
Limbow

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HS Soccer (Boys) - Red Lion Invitational 2015

#3 would be the best if you had the ball above the players. #2 is a good capture of a very bizarre expression as it doesn't seem to fit the action.

Nicely Done!

May 05, 2015 at 11:28 AM
mikekeating
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · HS Soccer (Boys) - Red Lion Invitational 2015

Trevorma wrote:
So the EXIF shows these were shot in "Auto" exposure......

My first comment would be to learn how to shoot manual. You have thousands of dollars in gear and to be honest the shots at f7.1 could be shot on a rebel and a 70-300 lens..... I am not saying there is anything wrong with a rebel and a kit lens, but you have invested money in good gear, use it to it's potential.

f7.1 is not needed, and I would only shoot soccer at 1/800th if it were at night or very overcast day and I wanted to keep my ISO
...Show more

+1, shooting in Manual or even going to Ap mode would be better for this. There appears to be plenty of light and getting the Shutter Speed up is critical in soccer (and other sports of course). If this is newer to you, go down to f/2.8 and get a bit more generous on the auto focus settings (I don't shoot canon, but is there a group mode for the AF?)

3 would be the best if you had the ball and a tighter crop.

1 would be great if there was a faster shutter speed to get rid of the blur.

May 05, 2015 at 11:35 AM
pmartin4665
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · HS Soccer (Boys) - Red Lion Invitational 2015

Trevorma: I've already made the change and eliminated "P" from my options . . . I just picked up the 1Dx and never changed the setting after shooting the previous weekend in a cold, rainy (overcast) conditions. Now I wonder what my images could've looked like if I didn't rely on the camera algorithms to make the adjustments for me. Thank you for your insight!

Limbow: I appreciate the comments, especially pertaining to #2 - that's what piqued my interest in the photo, he has a sinister sneer vs. a labored, running appearance.

Mikekeating: Thank you for your critique. I was surprised that although it was sunny, the camera defaults to the settings I captured my images at rather than a quicker shutter speed. I hope to have decent weather for our soccer match this weekend.

I appreciate the C&C and will use this as a learning experience - thanks one and all!

May 06, 2015 at 08:31 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.