New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Universal strobe trigger for Nikon/Canon/Sony

Entity
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Universal strobe trigger for Nikon/Canon/Sony

Hi folks!

I'm a Nikon user and have Pocket Wizard set for nikon as well as PixelKing for nikon. Now I'm opening a new studio which I'll be renting out, so I thought it would be a good idea to get some triggers for Nikon/Canon/Sony users. I think I'd need 1 transmitter and 2-4 receivers. Basic trigger function would be enough, high speed sync would be a plus but not a must. I use elinchrom lights.
I know it's a long shot, but is there any universal trigger kit out there? Or at least universal receivers and different transmitters?

TIA,
Mat

May 04, 2015 at 12:53 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Universal strobe trigger for Nikon/Canon/Sony

PW supports basic electronic flash sync, which is universal. All you need is connection to the trigger signal. On a camera, that signal is typically reached via the central pin of a hot shoe, or a PC socket. I can trigger my lights with Nikon, Canon, Contax RTS, and Leica M bodies.

May 04, 2015 at 01:50 AM
Entity
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Universal strobe trigger for Nikon/Canon/Sony

Trigger command is universal yes (central pin), but is the (PW) transmitter? I'm not sure, I'd say not..
But even if it is, I'm not renting out my $1000 PW set to any noob that really only needs the basic trigger function ie one pin. I'd much prefer to get some cheap chinese triggering set that works on Nikon/Canon/Sony..

May 04, 2015 at 06:38 AM
kaplah
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Universal strobe trigger for Nikon/Canon/Sony

Entity wrote:
Basic trigger function would be enough,

PocketWizard' basic triggers (e.g., the Plus III, or Plus X) - long range.
RadioPopper's basic trigger, the Nano - long range.
PCB CyberSync - ultra-fast, suited to leaf shutters.

Then all the also-ran "cheap chinese" triggers. Some of then work fine.

May 04, 2015 at 08:04 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Universal strobe trigger for Nikon/Canon/Sony

Since you have Elinchrom lighting why wouldn't you use Elinchrom Skyport triggers? They work great and you also get output adjustment you wouldn't get with with any of the other triggers mentioned. This is certainly a great feature you can sell with a rental studio.

May 04, 2015 at 02:11 PM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Universal strobe trigger for Nikon/Canon/Sony

Entity wrote:
I think I'd need 1 transmitter and 2-4 receivers.

1 transmitter and 1 receiver is more than enough. All other lights should sync using optical slave. In fact, optical trigger is all you need in the studio and this works with every camera.

May 04, 2015 at 06:01 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Universal strobe trigger for Nikon/Canon/Sony

I would want to keep it simple with something like the PCB triggers. They're extremely reliable, and they're relatively inexpensive. The CST uses a CR2450 battery that seems to last forever. The CSRB's use easy-to-get AA's.

May 04, 2015 at 06:05 PM
ross attix
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Universal strobe trigger for Nikon/Canon/Sony

+1 to Ukphotographer.

Or if you really think you must offer a complete set of triggers, the PW Plus III, or Plus X will work with any system. They are dumb triggers, so there isn't anything about them that could not be compatible with any camera.

May 04, 2015 at 06:24 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Universal strobe trigger for Nikon/Canon/Sony

It doesn't get much easier to use than the Skyport system with Elinchrom. Unless your completely electronics challenge anyone could use them right out of the box. You should want to offer your rental customers the best and most efficient way to control your Elinchrom lights and that is the Skyport. That is definitely not a basic trigger and not having to rely on internal optical slaves. Elinchrom slaves are very sensitive but not perfect. If you set up a low BG light or high up on a boom it may not see the flash from your Key light. The Skyport will let you and your customer control light output independently from the camera. This is especially nice with a light on a boom or BG lights. Your customer is not going be happy wasting his rental money running around changing lights or climbing up a ladder. The Skyport system will make your customers happy and make you money.

May 04, 2015 at 06:28 PM
Entity
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Universal strobe trigger for Nikon/Canon/Sony

Optical is out since I'd prefer groups (back, front, hair lights) which is easier (faster) to control off the cam/trigger, by shutting one group on/off.

Skyport is nice yes, but one set costs around 150eur and one additional receiver costs around 100eur. I have 8 lights so 5-6 receivers is minimum which comes to 550+eur. Since I've invested into PW already, I really don't want to spend that kind of money on another triggering system :/
Is skyport truly universal? One trigger works on Nikon/Canon/Sony?

Have to think about skyport, but still, I need one basic "chinese" system that's universal, works and is easily (cheap) to replace/upgrade if something brakes, get's "lost" etc..

May 05, 2015 at 07:55 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Universal strobe trigger for Nikon/Canon/Sony

Yes Skyport in universal, the transmitter will work on any camera. Let's back up a second. What model of Elinchrom strobes do you have? Yes you can control the output of Elinchrom with Pocketwizard but only for Nikon and Canon. Skyport is the only solution for what you want to do. They will pay for themselves in the amount of time you save. Also, keep in mind that although you have 8 lights it would be rare if you or a customer is using all of them. 4 receivers should be plenty to start.

May 05, 2015 at 09:21 AM
tdlavigne
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Universal strobe trigger for Nikon/Canon/Sony

Pocketwizard Plus X - You can get 2 transceivers for like $175. They're practically the industry standard, and reliable. 99% of strobes have an optical trigger that works fine, so all you need is the 2. I've shot with upwards of 8 lights, never had an issue using only 2 transceivers, so unless someone is being super complicated (probably unecessarily so at that) there shouldn't be any issue.

Remember, you're renting these out. It shouldn't matter how you shoot (preferring not to use optical triggering)...it should be more "just in case" someone who rents doesn't have their own gear. In addition, if you're pairing these to your personal elinchrom setup, there's no point in cheaping out on triggers. You wouldn't rent out your Aston Martin Vanquish and supply renters with cheap chinese tires would you?

Plus, I'd rather rent out PW's than some cheap chinese stuff...regardless of what others think I've found in my experience (managed a rental studio just south of LA for 3 years) that the chinese stuff (and other cheap options) is really unreliable, and that's not a good way to keep renters happy (ie. charging them for something that breaks or doesn't fire every time). If you see yourself getting a lot of rentals, and those renters requiring the usage of your triggers, then eventually the cost of multiple sets of PW's would pay themselves off. We charged $20 per rental to use our PW II's for example.

May 05, 2015 at 09:39 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.