New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Stitch versus Shift

WillMilne

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Stitch versus Shift

Hi

Thought I would try a little experiment comparing my tilt/shift lens with a stitched version of the same subject matter

Image 1 - a single exposure with approx 6mm of shift applied
Image 2 - a 100% crop of the top of the image
Image 3 - a 10 image 5 column /2 row stitch
Image 4 - a 100% crop of the top of the image

Images were taken on different days but from as close as possible the same position

All the source images were processed from raw files in Lightroom 5 exported as jpegs with the no sharpening and final versions of each tweaked to balance them in Photoshop again with no sharpening applied. The stitched image was rendered in Autopano Giga 4

While there are obvious differences in framing and final image size I can't imagine they would account for the dramatic difference in resolution and CA that seems to be displayed.

Is the stitched render approach that much better than the shift approach or am I missing something ? Happy to be educated here if I am.

Will

d800+rokinon 24 mm tilt shift

d800+rokinon 24 mm tilt shift 100%crop

d800+50mm f1.8G stitched

d800+50mmf1.8G 100% crop

May 03, 2015 at 06:45 PM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Stitch versus Shift

Well, plain and simple, you're putting more pixels on the subject with the stitch. If you had made the second photo with a non-TS 24mm and had to perspective correct/crop/etc to make it architecturally correct, it would look far far worse than the shifted version. Imagine making the stitched version with a 200mm lens instead of a 50mm. You bet the top of that tower is going to look amazing!

From a practical standpoint, most of the exterior architecture I photograph is lit, so stitching unnecessarily just adds a substantial layer of complexity. On occasion, I'll do some stitching WITH shift, which removes some of that complexity, but if you were faced with lighting that same photo, I'm willing to bet that 10 times out of 10 you'd do it with the TS instead of the stitch

May 03, 2015 at 08:34 PM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Stitch versus Shift

This is two sets of lit frames that are stitched, but the stitching was trivial because it was a vertical shift with the 45 TS-E.

May 03, 2015 at 08:37 PM
WillMilne

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Stitch versus Shift

Hi

thanks for the input I can see your point regarding working with images that have additional lighting etc.

I will have to try "If you had made the second photo with a non-TS 24mm and had to perspective correct/crop/etc to make it architecturally correct" and see what that looks like by comparison

Will

May 04, 2015 at 08:57 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.