Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · ** Update** Canon No Longer Servicing 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM?

uz2work
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · ** Update** Canon No Longer Servicing 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM?

I bought my 70-200/2.8 IS somewhere around 2004. About a year later, Canon issued a product advisory for the lens related to faulty IS units. I sent mine in, and they replaced the IS unit at no charge to me.

It might be worth doing some research and finding out what production dates were included in that advisory. Even though it has been a long time and even if Canon is not willing to do the repairs at no cost, you might be able to talk with a supervisor at the repair facility and be offered some form of a significantly reduced cost good-will repair.

Note that one of the symptoms of the problem (with the camera bodies at that time) was the 00 aperture reading similar to what you described, except that, when the 00 aperture reading showed up, the cameras would not take any pictures until they were turned off and turned back on.

May 11, 2015 at 07:47 PM
elamont
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · ** Update** Canon No Longer Servicing 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM?

sirimiri wrote:
Out of curiosity, what is the breakdown?

The repair doesn't say. It restates the problem as I laid it out, then says "repair to working order". I'm 99.9999% sure its the IS module as I expected, and another user confirmed was the case with his 100-400, in an above reply.

May 11, 2015 at 07:58 PM
elamont
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · ** Update** Canon No Longer Servicing 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM?

uz2work wrote:
I bought my 70-200/2.8 IS somewhere around 2004. About a year later, Canon issued a product advisory for the lens related to faulty IS units. I sent mine in, and they replaced the IS unit at no charge to me.

It might be worth doing some research and finding out what production dates were included in that advisory. Even though it has been a long time and even if Canon is not willing to do the repairs at no cost, you might be able to talk with a supervisor at the repair facility and be offered some form of a
...Show more

Thanks for the heads up! I will check it out.

May 11, 2015 at 07:59 PM
arnold1
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · ** Update** Canon No Longer Servicing 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM?

Also if you are not a CPS Platinum member, you may want to upgrade to that to get the Platinum discount for that kind of a repair fee. Wow, $900 is too much....I hope they will give you a break.

May 12, 2015 at 06:51 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · ** Update** Canon No Longer Servicing 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM?

That stinks man! Thats outrageous given the lenses actual value!

Worst case, you can either MF, turn it into a pencil holder, or sell it to me for $200

Just trying to insert some humor. Makes you feel any better, they dont service the 300L I dropped a few hundred on 2 months ago either. I baby the crap outta that lens.

May 12, 2015 at 08:21 PM
elamont
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · ** Update** Canon No Longer Servicing 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM?

Haha... Well I may I need try to sell it. In AF mode, the problem is not nearly as prevalent. I am just trying to get my business back up and running and don't want it to fail completely during a wedding, which would be just my luck.

Not sure what a fair price would be. $300-400 maybe?

Aaron D wrote:
That stinks man! Thats outrageous given the lenses actual value!

Worst case, you can either MF, turn it into a pencil holder, or sell it to me for $200

Just trying to insert some humor. Makes you feel any better, they dont service the 300L I dropped a few hundred on 2 months ago either. I baby the crap outta that lens.

May 12, 2015 at 08:30 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · ** Update** Canon No Longer Servicing 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM?

elamont wrote:
Haha... Well I may I need try to sell it. In AF mode, the problem is not nearly as prevalent. I am just trying to get my business back up and running and don't want it to fail completely during a wedding, which would be just my luck.

Not sure what a fair price would be. $300-400 maybe?

No idea what a fair price would be. But Id take a go at repairing it. Ill have to see if I can track down the IS mech and see what theyre selling for.

Aaron

May 12, 2015 at 09:41 PM
elamont
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · ** Update** Canon No Longer Servicing 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM?

Aaron D wrote:
No idea what a fair price would be. But Id take a go at repairing it. Ill have to see if I can track down the IS mech and see what theyre selling for.

Aaron

Well, let me know. I'd be happy to get just about anything for the lens, and if you get it repaired for a decent parts cost, you would have a solid lens for cheap. Or you could turn around and sell it yourself for profit. I couldnt even fix my dead 50mm myself, so I am not taking on the 70-200.

May 12, 2015 at 10:57 PM
zlatko
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · ** Update** Canon No Longer Servicing 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM?

Also try TF Camera Repair in NJ. Canon expert. Always did good work for me.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/T-F-Camera-Repair/122693011122264
(732) 238-8806

May 12, 2015 at 11:06 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · ** Update** Canon No Longer Servicing 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM?

Elamont, check your PMs.

Aaron

May 13, 2015 at 10:33 AM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · ** Update** Canon No Longer Servicing 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM?

I had a similar internet response from Canon on a lens that is still produced but when I called them, I was able to send it into Canon. The repair estimate was $289 plus return shipping and although they did a lot more then what was on the original estimate and they didn't charge anymore, I bought the lens used and after all was said and done, I probably spent nearly as much for this lens as I did if I just bought the lens new with a warranty.

I am not convinced that Canon is the best source for lens repair. I had a lens repaired locally and it was not expensive nor did I spend money on 2 way shipping.

May 13, 2015 at 04:09 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.