Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Files larger after photoshop

hi folks

here's what's going on........

processing file in lightroom

exporting file as jpeg at 1050x700 pixels, limiting file size to 250K

opening in photoshop, making a few very minor targeted edits on the main layer

saving, again as jpeg

file size had now increased to 350K and is too big to post on message boards with 250K limit

what is going on? how to avoid this? I want file size to stay at 250K through the photoshop edits

thanks for the help!

May 03, 2015 at 12:03 PM
dorian
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Files larger after photoshop

I see I can adjust file size using "saving quality" slider in photoshop, but why I have to adjust this in the first place I don't understand.

May 03, 2015 at 12:09 PM
dorian
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Files larger after photoshop

shit.....even when I adjust that slider to the size I want, it still ends up being bigger than when I started...WTF?

May 03, 2015 at 12:12 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Files larger after photoshop

Not sure if you can export a psd file from Lightroom. If not, export as tiff. Do your final edits in PS, then do a file / save for web with your 250k limit.

Depending on your final edits and what you actually do can significantly affect the jpeg size. Try applying some grain and see what hapens....

May 04, 2015 at 08:05 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Files larger after photoshop

Bernie wrote:
Not sure if you can export a psd file from Lightroom. If not, export as tiff. Do your final edits in PS, then do a file / save for web with your 250k limit.

Depending on your final edits and what you actually do can significantly affect the jpeg size. Try applying some grain and see what hapens....

Yes, much better idea than messing around with tiny 250k files.

The reason you have the slider is because you can adust the compression of the jpeg file, the bigger the file the better the quality.

Export from LR as a normal sized file then use the PS save for web as Bernie suggests, you will get much better IQ that way

May 04, 2015 at 09:14 AM
John Wheeler
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Files larger after photoshop

Hi Dorlan

The size of a JPEG file is highly dependent on
- pixel dimensions
- quality setting
- Image content

In your case a small change in image content can make a huge difference. E.G just applying a little sharpening will increase a JPEG size as the high frequency content does not compress as well. Just the behavior of the JPEG beast.

Prior comments are spot on. Keep the file in PSD or TIFF so you don't continual degrade the image with multiple roundtrips to JPEG and then when you are ready, use Save for Web and the fixed size option it provides. Will save you a lot of grief.

May 04, 2015 at 11:21 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.