New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Sigma 150-600 Sports vs Contemporary

Crazeenick

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 150-600 Sports vs Contemporary

Has anyone had a chance to compare IQ at 600mm between the Sigma 150-600 Sports and the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary?

The Sports is more solidly built with full weathersealing, but that isn't really a factor for me. My main interest is the IQ at 600mm for bird photography.

I understand the Sports is sharper in the corners on a Full Frame camera, but this shouldn't be an issue on an APS-C camera (especially if the image is cropped as well).

If there is really very little difference in IQ, I will probably just get the Contemporary due to the lower weight (and price!).

Has anyone done the comparison or seen any reports on the net?

Have Sigma made any statements on this?

May 03, 2015 at 11:02 AM
C Parish
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 150-600 Sports vs Contemporary

I have no real experience with either lens, but I read on another thread here that the sport and contemporary were optically the same and the extra elements in the sport were to do with weathe sealing. The person in the other thread got the info from sigma customer service.

Cheers

May 03, 2015 at 12:32 PM
onegreatcity
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma 150-600 Sports vs Contemporary

C Parish wrote:
I have no real experience with either lens, but I read on another thread here that the sport and contemporary were optically the same and the extra elements in the sport were to do with weathe sealing. The person in the other thread got the info from sigma customer service.

Cheers

^ This. As far as I've read one weighs more, costs more and is more robust but optically they are (reportedly) the same. I doubt you'll find anyone on FM who owns both for a meaningful side by side comparison.

May 03, 2015 at 01:16 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma 150-600 Sports vs Contemporary

Love my C version. Light, sharp, and cheap! (For 600mm)

May 03, 2015 at 03:17 PM
Crazeenick

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma 150-600 Sports vs Contemporary

Does anyone know whether Sigma themselves have stated that the Sports and Contemporary are optically the same?

May 04, 2015 at 10:05 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma 150-600 Sports vs Contemporary

Crazeenick wrote:
Does anyone know whether Sigma themselves have stated that the Sports and Contemporary are optically the same?

they ARE NOT optically the same

Sigma C 20 elements in 14 groups

http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/image/data/Lenses/745-150-600mm-C/745_LensStructure.jpg

Sigma S 24 elements 16 groups
http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/image/data/Lenses/740-150-600mm-S/740-LensStructure.jpg

May 04, 2015 at 10:12 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma 150-600 Sports vs Contemporary

That said Having tried the the C on my 5D3 at a store I have to say its pretty dam good (better than I expected) .
the store didn't have the S in stock but they did have the Tamron which was just below the C in terms of image quality but way worse in terms of AF performance . the tamron stuttered to lock AF when changing from close to far targets (the Sigma just snapped to focus) .
I tried the sigma for tracking but nothing faster than people walking toward me (which it handled well) . again the tamron struggled a bit more for that .

The Guy in the store said the S version is slightly quicker to AF and does track better in servo mode .

but maybe as both are customisable on the Dock you can change the tracking habits of either

May 04, 2015 at 10:18 AM
Crazeenick

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma 150-600 Sports vs Contemporary

Ian, I have read somewhere that the difference in optical construction on the Sports was necessitated by the weather-proofing of that lens - but that image sharpness (especially near the centre of the frame) is pretty much identical on both lenses. I have emailed Sigma UK for comment on this.

For the photographer who doesn't need the extra weather-proofing and ruggedness of the Sports model, and mainly shoots on APS-C bodies, it seems you might as well save yourself some money and the hernia(!) by buying the Contemporary model.

May 04, 2015 at 04:11 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma 150-600 Sports vs Contemporary

Crazeenick wrote:

Sigma America says they're different.

Sport is designed to offer a higher level of optical precision and contains 24 elements in 16 groups, with two FLD and three SLD elements to control aberrations and distortions. It has a minimum aperture of f/22, minimum focusing distance of 8.5', and maximum magnification ratio of 1:5. The lens measures 4.8 x 11.4", and weighs 6.3 lb.

Contemporary version contains 20 elements in 14 groups, with one FLD element and three SLD elements. It has a minimum aperture of f/22, minimum focus distance of 9.2', and maximum magnification ratio of 1:5 and shaves some dimensions off the Sports version to measure 4.1 x 10.2".

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

May 04, 2015 at 04:49 PM
C Parish
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma 150-600 Sports vs Contemporary

Sigma America says they're different.

Sport is designed to offer a higher level of optical precision and contains 24 elements in 16 groups, with two FLD and three SLD elements to control aberrations and distortions. It has a minimum aperture of f/22, minimum focusing distance of 8.5', and maximum magnification ratio of 1:5. The lens measures 4.8 x 11.4", and weighs 6.3 lb.

Contemporary version contains 20 elements in 14 groups, with one FLD element and three SLD elements. It has a minimum aperture of f/22, minimum focus distance of 9.2', and maximum magnification ratio of 1:5 and shaves some dimensions off the Sports version to measure 4.1 x 10.2".

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Thanks Henry!

I did not know about the differing MFD.

Cheers

May 04, 2015 at 05:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma 150-600 Sports vs Contemporary

Interestingly both lenses have the same 1:5 mag ratio but the C does it at a longer distance .

unless the S version breaths out to 600mm (or at least gets close) at a faster rate than the C then it could lag a bit shorter in focal length at any given distance .

May 04, 2015 at 05:50 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sigma 150-600 Sports vs Contemporary

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Interestingly both lenses have the same 1:5 mag ratio but the C does it at a longer distance .

unless the S version breaths out to 600mm (or at least gets close) at a faster rate than the C then it could lag a bit shorter in focal length at any given distance .

Of course, they might just be rounding for the 1:5 figure. It might be 1:49 for the Sport and 1:51 for the Contemporary, and they don't list it to that precision. Like how their 120-300 is closer to 280mm at the long end, but it's still listed as 300.

May 04, 2015 at 06:19 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sigma 150-600 Sports vs Contemporary

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
The Guy in the store said the S version is slightly quicker to AF and does track better in servo mode .

Sounds like the usual sales pitch. And of course he had no evidence to back up those claims

May 04, 2015 at 06:39 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sigma 150-600 Sports vs Contemporary

Imagemaster wrote:
Sounds like the usual sales pitch. And of course he had no evidence to back up those claims

... If you or PetKal .. aka. SupertelephotoMaster ... would send me a copy of each ... along with a 7DII ... a good one .... I will be happy to do a side by side, detailed White Paper and put this question to rest ... once and for all ... period.

Just trying to help ...
Jefferson ... http://jeffersonposter.smugmug.com/photos/i-JTCh7ZJ/0/Ti/i-JTCh7ZJ-Ti.jpg

May 04, 2015 at 06:48 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sigma 150-600 Sports vs Contemporary

Gary Wolstenholme is a consistent reviewer on ePHOTOzine:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/sigma-150-600mm-f-5-6-3-dg-os-hsm-sports-lens-review-26786
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/sigma-150-600mm-f-5-6-3-dg-os-hsm-contemporary-review-27247

For sharpness, they are remarkably similar. The C edges ahead under these conditions: shorter FLs, wider apertures, frame center. I would characterize the S as being sharper across a broader range of conditions. Where the S kicks butt is color correction and much lower linear distortion. Whether the S justifies its considerable mass and cost... I'm in the market, but it's a perplexing decision.

May 05, 2015 at 02:16 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sigma 150-600 Sports vs Contemporary

rico wrote:
Gary Wolstenholme is a consistent reviewer on ePHOTOzine:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/sigma-150-600mm-f-5-6-3-dg-os-hsm-sports-lens-review-26786
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/sigma-150-600mm-f-5-6-3-dg-os-hsm-contemporary-review-27247

For sharpness, they are remarkably similar. The C edges ahead under these conditions: shorter FLs, wider apertures, frame center. I would characterize the S as being sharper across a broader range of conditions. Where the S kicks butt is color correction and much lower linear distortion. Whether the S justifies its considerable mass and cost... I'm in the market, but it's a perplexing decision.

According to the bar charts (no numbers ) the Sports is somewhat better at the mid range, but substantially better at 600mm both center and edge. In fact the MFT at f/8 of the center of the C is only as good as the corner of the S. Given that a relatively moderate resolution (22MP) body is being used the visible difference may be even more obvious with a newer or future body.

Sports at 600mm

http://www.ephotozine.com/articles/sigma-150-600mm-s-sports-lens-review-26786/images/highres-Sigma150600mmMTF600mm_1421058551.jpg

Contemporary at 600mm

http://www.ephotozine.com/articles/sigma-150-600mm-f-5-6-3-dg-os-hsm-contemporary-review-27247/images/highres-Sigma150600mmCMTF600mm_1427706115.jpg

EBH

May 05, 2015 at 02:31 AM
Crazeenick

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sigma 150-600 Sports vs Contemporary

For info - I had asked Sigma UK for their comments on the Sports vs Contemporary IQ debate. This is what they said.

Sigma Technical Support said:
"The sports version has superior performance and build quality although if weight and price are a factor then the contemporary version would be a good alternative which compares well with similar lenses on the market."

Sigma Sales Dept said:
"Both lenses at 600mm would provide exceptional image quality, with the Sports model being a fraction better in comparison."

But what does "a fraction better" mean? It may well mean an insignificant increment in IQ that cannot be seen in real life shooting?

I don't think I'm any further forward on this. The only solution would be to get hold of both lenses and test together on the same body with the same settings etc. If I can SEE the improved IQ I'd get the Sports, but if it is barely discernible, even when pixel peeping, I'd rather have the less heavy (and cheaper) Contemporary!

Nick

May 05, 2015 at 03:22 PM
Nate Haskovec
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sigma 150-600 Sports vs Contemporary

If it helps you at all, I sold a big white to buy the contemporary.

I was only using the 2.8 tele for day time sports, and the fixed focal length meant either carry two bodies or miss shots.

I wanted the flexibility of the zoom, the reach of 600mm, and this time around, I didn't want to spend the money that a big white costs.

I can say with certainty that the contemporary lens is a steal.

The IQ isn't of billboard print proportions, but 8x10 prints are easily do-able at 600mm. The images look better than the heavy crops I used to do to get 2x reach from my 300 2.8, and the 150-300mm shots are actually very, very good.

If the sport model were even 1.5 as good (very seriously doubt it), it wouldn't justify the 2x price increase to me.

Buy the "C", and don't sweat what the other lenses produce.

It is a terrific lens.

EDIT: As long as ISO 800-1600 is acceptable to you.

May 05, 2015 at 03:33 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sigma 150-600 Sports vs Contemporary

How well will the Sport version track a moving object while in AI Servo ... IS off /IS on ... Sharpness and IQ ... vs. the Contemporary ... ?

Shooting stuff like this ... also pans with shutter speeds from 1/60 to 1/100 ... ?

1Ds2 with Canon 300 f/4L IS @ f/11 (IS on) ... 1/200 ... ISO 100 ... AI Servo ... manual exposure mode ... center focal point ... hand held ... (knowing the 300 f/4L IS is not the fastest focusing tool in the box) ... how does the Sport / Contemporary compare ... ?
http://jeffersonposter.smugmug.com/photos/i-JJXWH2R/0/X2/i-JJXWH2R-X2.jpg

IQ comparison at equivalent focal lengths (Sigma S vs. Sigma C vs. Canon 300 f/4L IS ... ? IQ @ 500mm (say f/11) Sport vs. Contemporary Sigmas ... ?

Jefferson ...

May 05, 2015 at 05:26 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sigma 150-600 Sports vs Contemporary

Why is that driver flipping off the dude standing there?
That's not very nice.

May 05, 2015 at 07:54 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password