Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2015 · Does Lightroom 6 standalone version require an Adobe ID?

Xavier Rival
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Does Lightroom 6 standalone version require an Adobe ID?

As I am on the fence, to decide whether to upgrade my LR 4 to LR 6, I am very interested in this discussion. Especially, will LR randomly decide to phone home to start or not (so that I would be screwed, if I am travelling and have no internet ---e.g., in a café, in a plane, train or public space with no wifi, or in a hotel where wifi is $10 a day, which are all places where I have used LR many times in the past) or just be happy to be online once in a while ? Also, if it needs to phone home at all to not deactivate, how long does Adobe promise they will maintain the servers ? (e.g., are they allowed to say in 4 years, that they will not maintain the activation support of LR 6 anymore ?)

Is there any sort of official Adobe documentation on these issues ?
(I will not buy before my doubts are cleared ---it is not only about the money spent on the license; it is also about committing to a workflow, and making sure it will not be at risk).

Thanks to all the contributors of this thread, it is very helpful!

May 17, 2015 at 04:54 AM
fqo63ta
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Does Lightroom 6 standalone version require an Adobe ID?

It's my understanding that at installation, you are given the option to participate in Adobe's "product improvement program" which requires you to be connected to the web so that LR can report anomalies to Adobe.

I ALWAYS opt OUT of that program.....I'm not a LR tester.

I have used LR6 standalone since it's release, DISCONNECTED from the internet, with NO problems.

That said, you DO have to be connected during initial installation...after that..no.

I have been very happy with LR6.

May 17, 2015 at 07:28 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Does Lightroom 6 standalone version require an Adobe ID?

fqo63ta wrote:
It's my understanding that at installation, you are given the option to participate in Adobe's "product improvement program" which requires you to be connected to the web so that LR can report anomalies to Adobe.

I have used LR6 standalone since it's release, DISCONNECTED from the internet, with NO problems.

That said, you DO have to be connected during initial installation...after that..no.

Please report back once you have been continuously disconnected from the net for 30 days and LR6 still runs, then we will believe you

And yes, most of us also opted out but LR still connects anyway

May 17, 2015 at 08:21 AM
fqo63ta
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Does Lightroom 6 standalone version require an Adobe ID?

Please report back once you have been continuously disconnected from the net for 30 days and LR6 still runs, then we will believe you

And yes, most of us also opted out but LR still connects anyway

Will do...

May 17, 2015 at 08:26 AM
netexpress
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Does Lightroom 6 standalone version require an Adobe ID?

fqo63ta wrote:

I have said this several times and I will say it again:

THERE IS NO OPT OUT DURING INSTALLATION

Not that I'm picking on you!

May 17, 2015 at 07:17 PM
netexpress
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Does Lightroom 6 standalone version require an Adobe ID?

Xavier Rival wrote:
As I am on the fence, to decide whether to upgrade my LR 4 to LR 6, I am very interested in this discussion. Especially, will LR randomly decide to phone home to start or not (so that I would be screwed, if I am travelling and have no internet ---e.g., in a café, in a plane, train or public space with no wifi, or in a hotel where wifi is $10 a day, which are all places where I have used LR many times in the past) or just be happy to be online once in a while
...Show more

A well stated and valid set of concerns.

I'm with you.

May 17, 2015 at 07:19 PM
netexpress
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Does Lightroom 6 standalone version require an Adobe ID?

rw11 wrote:
The thing to do is to write a specific letter to the Federal Trade Comm'n. Ask them to open a file on this matter. Send copies to your legislators. Nothing will change without pushback from a fairly large number of people.

+1 on that.

I'd +2 if I could

May 17, 2015 at 07:20 PM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Does Lightroom 6 standalone version require an Adobe ID?

Has this issue of LR6 (perpetual) being tethered to Adobe been raised in the Adobe forums? If it hasn't, it should be.

A quick search of the Adobe LR forum turned up this. Might be a good place for FMers to congregate to voice concerns. There may be other threads as well, will keep looking.

May 18, 2015 at 09:14 AM
Xavier Rival
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Does Lightroom 6 standalone version require an Adobe ID?

Ho1972 wrote:
Has this issue of LR6 (perpetual) being tethered to Adobe been raised in the Adobe forums? If it hasn't, it should be.

A quick search of the Adobe LR forum turned up this. Might be a good place for FMers to congregate to voice concerns. There may be other threads as well, will keep looking.

Exactly what I was thinking. Will do, when I get time (I am having a very busy week, so most likely this week-end).

May 19, 2015 at 01:49 PM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Does Lightroom 6 standalone version require an Adobe ID?

Potentially good news: If I understand correctly, the chatter between LR6 and Adobe's servers is a known issue and may be fixed in the next update. I'll hold off upgrading until this is resolved.

May 20, 2015 at 09:42 AM
James_N
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Does Lightroom 6 standalone version require an Adobe ID?

I ran an experiment after reading all the naysayers and doomsday scenarios in this thread.

1. April 21, 2015 - Installed the standalone version of Lightroom 6 on a test computer the first day it was released ( Test computer is configured to dual boot Kali Linux and Windows 7 and used mostly for penetration testing). The program was downloaded through ProDesignTools.com, a certified Adobe partner, which does not require using an Adobe ID to log in. I did not activate any of the features like Sign In, Manage My Account, Lightroom Mobile, etc. The product serial number used to activate was purchased using a separate computer running on a different network. As part of the installation, I blocked all Adobe servers I could find by listing them in my Hosts file and ensuring they resolved to "localhost" 127.0.0.1.

http://i.imgur.com/Y0Znn1N.gif

2. May 2, 2015 - Upgraded to Lightroom 6.0.1

3. May 22, 2015 - Lightroom 6.0.1 still works perfectly although its over 30 days since installation and its never once been allowed to access Adobe's servers.

Based on my test I can conclude that an Adobe ID is not needed

May 22, 2015 at 08:09 PM
netexpress
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Does Lightroom 6 standalone version require an Adobe ID?

James_N wrote:
I ran an experiment after reading all the naysayers and doomsday scenarios in this thread.

1. April 21, 2015 - Installed the standalone version of Lightroom 6 on a test computer the first day it was released ( Test computer is configured to dual boot Kali Linux and Windows 7 and used mostly for penetration testing). The program was downloaded through ProDesignTools.com, a certified Adobe partner, which does not require using an Adobe ID to log in. I did not activate any of the features like Sign In, Manage My Account, Lightroom Mobile, etc. The product serial number used to activate
...Show more

See above - it uses leased servers on Amazon.

May 22, 2015 at 09:16 PM
James_N
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Does Lightroom 6 standalone version require an Adobe ID?

I'm quite aware of the leased servers. As I wrote three weeks ago, I am also aware the servers are registered to a company called MarkMonitor: https://www.markmonitor.com/. For obvious reasons I don't show the complete contents of my Hosts files but those servers are blocked there too.

netexpress wrote:
See above - it uses leased servers on Amazon.

May 22, 2015 at 09:28 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Does Lightroom 6 standalone version require an Adobe ID?

My LR6 would not work unless I 'signed in' on both the computers I use it on. I have the standalone (non-CC) LR6 via upgrade from 5.7

May 24, 2015 at 01:00 AM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Does Lightroom 6 standalone version require an Adobe ID?

From the Adobe forum:

"Sign In" = "Activate"
"Sign Out" = "Deactivate"

So, as it's logical that to use the software it needs to remain activated, that means that Lightroom needs to remain "signed in".

But ...."Signed In" does NOT mean that the system has to remain internet connected, the only time a connection is needed is when you actually try to sign in, or when you decide to sign out. So having signed in, you can happily wander off into the great outdoors, with no internet capability, and your perpetual license version of Lightroom will continue to operate for as long as your computer can operate. There is no time limit, and no need to check in every now and then.

The first part seems to be true. The second part is sort of true, depending on just how you disconnect from the internet.

Some people were testing the "disconnected from the internet" thing by pulling the plug on the WAN connection, whilst leaving the LAN/WLAN connection in place and enabled....this causes the 'degraded performance'. So if you want to test offline, make sure you disconnect the computer from the LAN (which is a more realistic "out in the wilderness" test).

What has been found is that LR will continue to try to connect to Adobe's servers if it sees an internet connection, regardless of any settings or prefs the user may have chosen. This is supposed to be fixed in a future update.

May 24, 2015 at 05:34 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.