2       end

Archive 2015 · Update, Lens Price Database, Lens$db-v29

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Update, Lens Price Database, Lens$db-v29

Lens Price Database version 29 update, 2015-05-01

Lens$db-v29, http://tinyurl.com/jcolwell-lensdb

The Lens Price Database, Lens$db, has prices and physical specifications for over 500 lenses, including: all Canon EF prime lenses and EF Extenders; all Canon EF L-series zoom lenses, plus a few others; a variety of lenses from Sigma, Tamron and Tokina; a large selection of “alternative” manual focus lenses from Carl Zeiss, Leica, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Voigtlander, and other brands; a selection of Medium Format Mamiya and Pentax 645 lenses that are more-or-less compatible with EOS cameras, and with the Mirex Tilt-Shift adapter; and, Fujifilm XF and Zeiss X lenses, plus a small selection of LM and LTM rangefinder-style lenses. The prices are mostly for used equipment in excellent to mint condition, based on eBay sales and list prices at many camera stores.

The Lens Price Database, Lens$db, is copyright © James Colwell 2005-2015. You may copy and freely distribute the database to others, but you may not charge or accept any fees, and you may not modify the database. You may incorporate any information from Lens$db in other publications (online and otherwise), as long as you acknowledge the source.

Cheers,
Jim

May 02, 2015 at 05:58 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Update, Lens Price Database, Lens$db-v29

jcolwell wrote:
You may incorporate any information from Lens$db in other publications (online and otherwise), as long as you acknowledge the source and send him beer.

There. Fixed it for you.

Thanks, Jim!

May 02, 2015 at 06:25 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Update, Lens Price Database, Lens$db-v29

Beer donations accepted at Propeller Brewery.

May 02, 2015 at 06:29 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Update, Lens Price Database, Lens$db-v29

Jim, thank you. Quick question, where did you see that Cron 180 APO going for 5k? I might be interested. Thank you. And overall, do you notice any decline this year? What I am seeing right now, I feel like there is a decline in price. You don't track Leica M price, but the trend is for certain with the Leica M.

May 02, 2015 at 07:26 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Update, Lens Price Database, Lens$db-v29

Hi Hiep,

Thanks.

The Lens$db prices for eBay sales are all for 'sold' lenses. IOW, if you see a great price for an eBay sale in Lens$db, it's too late. It's already been sold. I have the Leica Apo-Summicron-R 180/2 listed at an average sold price of $5164 for [M- to LN] condition. The most recent sale (last month) was for $6450. The previous sale in that =AVERAGE(...) equation for $5450 was in 2013. It's a rare lens. I don't see all of them, by any means, but that's partly because there's not many of them.

OTOH, the listings for "other suppliers" (mostly used camera shops) are 'as advertised', and so they're still available - at least at the last time I checked. The last time I saw an -R 180/2 APO in a shop listing was 2010 (two of them).

I agree that there's a recent decline in price. There is an annual price cycle for used lenses. As I've said before, used lens sale prices (sales, not asking) are highest from September through January. Prices are depressed by about 15% to 20% for February/March through August. OTOH, the price decline does seem to be a bit steeper than previous years. Only time will tell.

May 02, 2015 at 07:59 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Update, Lens Price Database, Lens$db-v29

, so it might be a bad time to put up my two Contax Jahres for auction.

May 02, 2015 at 08:03 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Update, Lens Price Database, Lens$db-v29

Actually, rare and desirable lenses like the Contax 55/1.2 and 85/1.2 100 Jahre are generally not affected by the seasonal variation in selling price. If somebody really wants one, they have to take it when it's offered, especially when it's offered at a "reasonable" price, in comparison with the perennial stupid-expensive Buy It Now listings.

May 03, 2015 at 08:19 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Update, Lens Price Database, Lens$db-v29

Thanks for adding some M mount lenses into the list which I find most useful.

May 03, 2015 at 09:28 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Update, Lens Price Database, Lens$db-v29

retrofocus wrote:
Thanks for adding some M mount lenses into the list which I find most useful.

You're welcome. I'm trying to stop myself from diving into the Leica LM / LTM pool, because it's deep and full of hazards. I feel lucky to have more or less sorted out a basic understanding of the -R series lens variants. I think my head would explode if I tried to fit the LM / LTM lineup in there.

May 03, 2015 at 10:20 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Update, Lens Price Database, Lens$db-v29

jcolwell wrote:
You're welcome. I'm trying to stop myself from diving into the Leica LM / LTM pool, because it's deep and full of hazards. I feel lucky to have more or less sorted out a basic understanding of the -R series lens variants. I think my head would explode if I tried to fit the LM / LTM lineup in there.

Absolutely agree that this is by far not easy and a world by itself! I didn't even go into the R-series pool myself yet. Main difficulty with M series is all the different kind of versions and often the name is kept the same. Unfortunately there are not many summary sites online which provide an overview here.

May 03, 2015 at 10:32 AM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Update, Lens Price Database, Lens$db-v29

Thanks again for keeping this up Jim!

May 03, 2015 at 10:50 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Update, Lens Price Database, Lens$db-v29

I didn't know such a database existed. Thanks for posting and doing all the work involved.

May 05, 2015 at 06:59 AM
fotosculptor
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Update, Lens Price Database, Lens$db-v29

Just curious, how is this data collected? How fresh is the data for each individual lens? If it's all manual sampling, I could see this taking quite a long time.

May 05, 2015 at 10:12 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Update, Lens Price Database, Lens$db-v29

fotosculptor wrote:
How fresh is the data for each individual lens?...

Too busy to read the manual, eh?

Every price has a date, written in YY-MM format. For example, ".15-03" is March 2105. There's more information in the documentation file,

Lens$doc-v29.pdf, http://www.jcolwell.ca/photography/lens$db/Lens$doc-v29.pdf

fotosculptor wrote:
...If it's all manual sampling, I could see this taking quite a long time.

Ten years, so far.

Edited on May 05, 2015 at 10:42 AM · View previous versions

May 05, 2015 at 10:35 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Update, Lens Price Database, Lens$db-v29

Thanks Jim!!

May 05, 2015 at 10:41 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Update, Lens Price Database, Lens$db-v29

jcolwell wrote:

As always Jim thanks as a LeiCaNikonSon shooter and reformed lens collector I thought I was safe with your db but now the hazards of LM/LTM's in the database have me perusing again.

May 05, 2015 at 12:20 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Update, Lens Price Database, Lens$db-v29

(I just expanded the Canon RF section, a little bit. )

May 05, 2015 at 12:46 PM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Update, Lens Price Database, Lens$db-v29

Thanks. I didn't know this existed.

Jan 27, 2016 at 09:06 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Update, Lens Price Database, Lens$db-v29

You're welcome.

I'll be posting an update in a week or so.

Jan 27, 2016 at 09:11 AM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Update, Lens Price Database, Lens$db-v29

Cool. I sold my 400 5.6 (mint, like new condition) a couple weeks ago for $780, if that helps.

Jan 27, 2016 at 09:18 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.