FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Critter Mix

Dalantech
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Critter Mix

Sorry folks -this is gonna be a long one...

This female miner bee look like she's eating this flower's stamen, but she's really rust trying to anchor herself while she packs pollen onto her hind legs.

Tech Specs: Canon 70D (F16, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (> 2x) + a diffused MT-24EX (both flash heads on Kaiser adjustable flash shoes). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held.

Technique: It was windy, so it was easy for me to grab onto the flower that the bee was in without spooking it. Once I had the flower's stem in my left index finger and thumb I I rested the lens on that same hand and waited until I could get an angle that would make the most out of the shallow depth at almost 3x. Lots and lots of frames...

This tiny wasp seems to be striking a pose.

Tech Specs: Canon 70D (F16, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (@4x) + a diffused MT-24EX (both flash heads on Kaiser adjustable flash shoes). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held.

Technique: Early morning shot, so the subject was just semi-active. As it moved around the flower I looked for angles that would make the most out of the depth at 4x. I used a concrete fence post for the background.

Technique: I was holding on to the twig that the beetle was on with my left hand, and resting the lens on that same hand to keep the scene steady. Then as the critter moved I looked for an interesting angle to shoot it from -lots of deleted frames. The background is a piece of blue plexiglass with some glossy photo paper behind it.

Tech Specs: Canon 70D (F16, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (2x) + a diffused MT-24EX (-2/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held.

Everyone that I've showed this frame to says that it looks like something different to each of them , so instead or prejudicing your imagination with a title I'm just going to tell you that it's a Long Horned Beetle shot at five times life size.

Tech Specs: Canon 70D (F16, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (@5x) + a diffused MT-24EX (both flash heads on Kaiser adjustable flash shoes). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held.

Technique: This one is really simple -it was just early in the morning and the beetle was lethargic, temperature around 16C. As always I'm looking for a magic angle that makes the most out of what little depth there is at high magnification. The background is a piece of blue plexiglass with some glossy photo paper behind it.

May 02, 2015 at 05:34 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Critter Mix

Lovely series - esp like #4.
Suspect #2 is a sawfly rather than wasp.

Brian v.

May 03, 2015 at 01:01 AM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Critter Mix

LordV wrote:
Lovely series - esp like #4.
Suspect #2 is a sawfly rather than wasp.

Brian v.

Thanks for the ID!

May 03, 2015 at 01:09 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Critter Mix

The eyes of the third and fourth really grab my attention.

The plexiglass background is very effective. Holding that concrete post in position must have made you sweat!

Harold

May 03, 2015 at 02:02 AM
peterski
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Critter Mix

Great shots John. That first frame is just fantastic. I've always wanted to get my camera into a flower centre and shoot the insect there. Still trying.
Not convinced yet about your blue plexiglass...looks a bit artificial to me. I like Percy's idea (another forum) of glitter glued to a coloured board to get a bit of bokeh.
cheers,
peter

May 03, 2015 at 03:22 AM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Critter Mix

Thanks Harold and Peter

peterski wrote:
...Not convinced yet about your blue plexiglass...looks a bit artificial to me. I like Percy's idea (another forum) of glitter glued to a coloured board to get a bit of bokeh.
cheers,
peter

Agreed -it's too "flat". My wife has some fabric sample books, and I found some textured cloth with some glitter in it and I've replaced all of the glossy photo paper with it. Gonna try it out today. Was actually inspired by Percy's posts at DPR.

May 03, 2015 at 04:02 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.