New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Anyone using the new Sigma 150-600mm Sport Lens

wcj0
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone using the new Sigma 150-600mm Sport Lens

Was thinking of purchasing the new Sigma 150-600mm S lens and their 1.4 teleconverter and was wondering if anyone is either using or has had experiance using this combo? I wanted srictly for portability and travel although I do own the Canon 600mm II lens and love it. I want to cover more range other than the 600mm prime and possibly use the Sigma without the tele for sports and with the tele for birds. Thanks in advance. One other thing, It doesn't appear that there is much information about this lens on the internet or FM and was curious as to why.

May 02, 2015 at 02:14 PM
lowbone
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone using the new Sigma 150-600mm Sport Lens

Contact Morris in the Nature forum. He has the sports model and is very happy with it.

May 02, 2015 at 02:54 PM
farscapes
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone using the new Sigma 150-600mm Sport Lens

Quite a thorough review of the recent runners and riders, including Sigma S and Tamron:

And a pretty good 'real world' field test of both Sigma and Tamron:
http://www.kruger-2-kalahari.com/tamron-vs-sigma-150-600.html

For the record, I'm still undecided between the 2 Sigma's and the Tamron as my backup and travel surf lens (and primary surf video lens).

May 02, 2015 at 03:19 PM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone using the new Sigma 150-600mm Sport Lens

thanks everyone appreciate the input. Hopefully there will be someone on FM that has used it bare and with the converter.

May 03, 2015 at 08:47 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone using the new Sigma 150-600mm Sport Lens

lowbone wrote:
Contact Morris in the Nature forum. He has the sports model and is very happy with it.

Agree and look at his images posted..

May 03, 2015 at 09:02 AM
altonsullivent

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone using the new Sigma 150-600mm Sport Lens

I'm very happy with mine. A little heavy, but no more than expected.

© altonsullivent 2015

Bluebird from Sigma 150-600 Sport

May 03, 2015 at 12:36 PM
Crazeenick

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone using the new Sigma 150-600mm Sport Lens

People are saying that the cheaper and less heavy Sigma Contemporary 150-600 is the same optically as the Sports model. If you don't need the extra ruggedness and weathersealing of the Sports model, the Contemporary may be the better bet.

May 03, 2015 at 04:01 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone using the new Sigma 150-600mm Sport Lens

Crazeenick wrote:
People are saying that the cheaper and less heavy Sigma Contemporary 150-600 is the same optically as the Sports model.

Those people must be clueless since the sports lens has 24 elements in 16 groups compared to 20 elements in 14 groups for the cheaper contemporary lens.

EBH

May 03, 2015 at 04:12 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone using the new Sigma 150-600mm Sport Lens

EB-1 wrote:
Those people must be clueless since the sports lens has 24 elements in 16 groups compared to 20 elements in 14 groups for the cheaper contemporary lens.

EBH

Those clueless people are Sigma Tech USA

May 03, 2015 at 04:56 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone using the new Sigma 150-600mm Sport Lens

Crazeenick wrote:
People are saying that the cheaper and less heavy Sigma Contemporary 150-600 is the same optically as the Sports model. If you don't need the extra ruggedness and weathersealing of the Sports model, the Contemporary may be the better bet.

I spoke with Sigma about this today at the OPTIC nature and wildlife conference here in NYC. I told them the images I was seeing from the Contenmary appeared to have the same qualities as the Sport. They stated "Yes you will not be able to see the difference when shooting portraits. Tracking is much better on the Sport and of cause there is the weather sealing and the build."

Morris

May 03, 2015 at 07:23 PM
D.Hussey
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone using the new Sigma 150-600mm Sport Lens

The Digital Picture has results for this lens in its image quality comparison feature for whatever that is worth

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=978&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=0&CameraComp=0&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

May 03, 2015 at 07:30 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone using the new Sigma 150-600mm Sport Lens

morris wrote:
I spoke with Sigma about this today at the OPTIC nature and wildlife conference here in NYC. I told them the images I was seeing from the Contenmary appeared to have the same qualities as the Sport. They stated "Yes you will not be able to see the difference when shooting portraits. Tracking is much better on the Sport and of cause there is the weather sealing and the build."

Morris

Interesting Morris, the info I received was a bit different.
When I spoke with Sigma, I told them I can buy either, I just want to get the best performing one. He asked are you a pro shooter that will be shooting in all kind of weather conditions.
Then you want the Sport, otherwise the contemporary will yield you the same performance as the Sport. I asked, well what about for BIF, he said no difference..

I have a friend in the photo industry, I asked his opinon of the two, his comment to me was the Sport had better CA control.. Other than that weight, price, and weather sealing they are the same performing...

Perhaps someone will order two and compare, or a Utube video will pop up with this in mind, and we can read/watch about there hands on experience with both..

May 03, 2015 at 10:30 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone using the new Sigma 150-600mm Sport Lens

D.Hussey wrote:
The Digital Picture has results for this lens in its image quality comparison feature for whatever that is worth

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=978&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=0&CameraComp=0&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

When did they put that up? I've been checking every few days, ever since their first copy that was a decentered mess. At least it's better than the Tamron over 400mm.

EBH

May 03, 2015 at 11:34 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone using the new Sigma 150-600mm Sport Lens

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

So what?

May 04, 2015 at 12:00 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone using the new Sigma 150-600mm Sport Lens

morris wrote:

Morris

I have no idea why the Sport would be any better at tracking.

After my brief time using the lens my preliminary conclusion is this: the SIGMA 150-600mm f/5 – 6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary is very close or equal to the acquisition, tracking, focus, as well as sharpness performance of the SIGMA 150-600mm f/5 – 6.3 DG OS HSM Sport. I felt the acquisition, tracking, and focus speed of the Sport a bit faster but not significantly enough to be concerned with. Center of frame Sharpness of the two seems equal. The two-pound weight savings of the Contemporary versus the Sport is not an issue for me as I can comfortably hand...Show more

http://blog.sigmaphoto.com/2015/first-impressions-sigma-150-600mm-contemporary/?link=apr-150-60mm-first-impressions

May 04, 2015 at 12:11 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anyone using the new Sigma 150-600mm Sport Lens

Imagemaster wrote:
I have no idea why the Sport would be any better at tracking.

http://blog.sigmaphoto.com/2015/first-impressions-sigma-150-600mm-contemporary/?link=apr-150-60mm-first-impressions

"Motor", gearing, and/or electronics/firmware would make the diffrence

May 04, 2015 at 07:00 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anyone using the new Sigma 150-600mm Sport Lens

IndyFab wrote:
Interesting Morris, the info I received was a bit different.
When I spoke with Sigma, I told them I can buy either, I just want to get the best performing one. He asked are you a pro shooter that will be shooting in all kind of weather conditions.
Then you want the Sport, otherwise the contemporary will yield you the same performance as the Sport. I asked, well what about for BIF, he said no difference..

I have a friend in the photo industry, I asked his opinon of the two, his comment to me was the Sport had better
...Show more

It would be best if a few people did independent test. There is a huge difference in build quality.

May 04, 2015 at 07:03 AM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anyone using the new Sigma 150-600mm Sport Lens

once again thanks to everyone that has replied. I have purchased the sport model and after i fully test it i will be happy to give my opinion on it compared to the 600 vII. I realize that a fixed f/4 compaired to a 5.6-6.3 has its limitations, but i want to see in general how it performes. I also purchased the 1.4 tele to use along with it. wcj

May 04, 2015 at 08:29 AM
D.Hussey
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Anyone using the new Sigma 150-600mm Sport Lens

EB-1 wrote:
When did they put that up? I've been checking every few days, ever since their first copy that was a decentered mess. At least it's better than the Tamron over 400mm.

EBH

Very recently, within the last week I think

May 04, 2015 at 09:44 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Anyone using the new Sigma 150-600mm Sport Lens

morris wrote:

"Motor", gearing, and/or electronics/firmware would make the diffrence

It would, but have you seen any evidence showing it has any different motor, gearing, and/or electronics/firmware

May 04, 2015 at 10:39 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.