New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2015 · 36MP (D800) vs 12MP (5D)

Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · 36MP (D800) vs 12MP (5D)

BQ?

May 04, 2015 at 12:43 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · 36MP (D800) vs 12MP (5D)

ronno wrote:
Agreed Rob, and thanks Kerry.

Meanwhile, these days I am shooting less fashion and a lot more of this:

www.ronpurdyeats.com

Of course, those are very nicely done, but not nearly so appealing as the others, at least to me.
I got the impression that the girls liked working with you. If that's accurate, it certainly helps make the images.

Thanks for the link. I always like seeing what other people are doing and how they're doing it, if I can figure it out.

Kerry

May 04, 2015 at 12:51 PM
ronno
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · 36MP (D800) vs 12MP (5D)

Kerry Pierce wrote:
Of course, those are very nicely done, but not nearly so appealing as the others, at least to me.
I got the impression that the girls liked working with you. If that's accurate, it certainly helps make the images.

Thanks for the link. I always like seeing what other people are doing and how they're doing it, if I can figure it out.

Kerry

Kerry, it's true we have had lots of fun! It's good work if you can get it.

May 04, 2015 at 12:54 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · 36MP (D800) vs 12MP (5D)

Mark_L wrote:
Anyway, I have contributed my experiences and won't post further in this thread.

Since there is at least one experience I haven't contributed to this thread yet, let me share one that illustrates why I hold my point of view. I could share others, but this one is recent and telling.

I'm part of a print review group that meets about every six weeks or so to share and critique members' recent prints. Among the members of the group are several whose work is well-known and well-regarded. You may have seen their work in books or galleries, taken a workshop from some of them, or perhaps travelled with them to international destinations in Asia or Antarctica, etc.

One member cut his teeth on large format film (working with that AA guy in the 1980s for a while, along with a few other important photographers), eventually becoming expert at dye-transfer printing, then moving to scanned film printed digitally, and then to medium format digital using a 80 MP system. He brought something odd to this meeting. In addition to his "real" prints he brought a small group of letter-sized prints of a very boring urban scene. Without telling us anything about them he simply asked us to look closely at them and share whatever we observed.

Among the group, all of whom are good to excellent photographers and printers, there was agreement that the prints did not all look exactly the same, but we couldn't quite quantify the difference, nor did we agree about which examples were the best. We did agree that all of them looked fine.

My friend then revealed that he had set up a careful test of two camera systems. One was his 80MP Phase One back system with his usual high end MF lenses. The other was a 36MP Nikon with a high quality zoom lens. The photographs were just test images made under very controlled conditions from the tripod.

There are a few interesting things about this test. First, if he had said "Compare these prints. Group A comes from my Phase One 80 MP system and Group B comes from my Nikon DSLR," I'm pretty certain that we would have begun with the presumption that the MF system images would be significantly better, and we would have looked to evidence to back up our preconception. Second, given no indication of what the underlying difference was, we were unable to detect a consistent correlation, even after very close hands-on and up close inspection. I know that is hard to understand — and we were surprised, too.

Oh, making it more interesting, here's a bit more background. In each case he had taken the images though a typical post-processing workflow, including re-sizing them to make 30" x 40" prints. The samples we saw were crops from these much larger image files — e.g. we were looking at letter-sized crops taken out of 30" x 40" prints.

Unlike some photographs, these issues are not entirely black and white. Does FF 36MP perform identically to 80MP digital MF? No. If you exhibited large prints from both systems side-by-side, would the differences be striking? Little evidence that this is true. Can a 80MP MF system sensor out resolve a 36MP FF system? No doubt. ;-)

Dan

Edited on Jun 08, 2015 at 10:28 PM · View previous versions

May 04, 2015 at 12:55 PM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · 36MP (D800) vs 12MP (5D)

I certainly understand the practicality of shooting with just enough MP needed for the job and not waste resources, especially for photogs that have to deal with thousands of images for an event before rushing off to the next project. Just enough can make a lot of sense.

Fortunately, as an amateur wildlife photog I have lots of time to waste and prefer to have plenty of pixels to chose from. Mega pixels on FX lets me crop heavy for the reach and still get good results, or "back off" for nice composition when the shot allows. When things are happening in the wild sometimes it's all you can do to get the shot and worry about cropping/composition later.

I'm also becoming spoiled with my 5K iMac -- displaying high resolution images on this puppy is real eye candy. Such high resolution photography is still not very practical for web posting yet, but I'm starting to do it anyway.

So my fav camera right now is the D810, hands-down. As much as I like the speed of my 7DII, I still prefer having 36MP on FX for the aforementioned reasons.

May 04, 2015 at 02:04 PM
KKFung
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · 36MP (D800) vs 12MP (5D)

jcolwell wrote:
Hey KK. What's "PQ"?

Picture quality

Sorry for my poor English

May 04, 2015 at 07:47 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · 36MP (D800) vs 12MP (5D)

KKFung wrote:
This thread remind me I gave up A7r (used over 1 year) and switched to A7s. I need PQ more than resolution. Very happy after switch

jcolwell wrote:
Hey KK. What's "PQ"?

KKFung wrote:
Picture quality

Sorry for my poor English

It's not poor English. It's just an abbreviation that I haven't seen before.

(I guess I owe Mitesh a beverage of some kind).

May 04, 2015 at 07:49 PM
KKFung
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · 36MP (D800) vs 12MP (5D)

Gunzorro wrote:
BQ?

I know what is BBQ

May 04, 2015 at 07:49 PM
KKFung
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · 36MP (D800) vs 12MP (5D)

jcolwell wrote:
It's not poor English. It's just an abbreviation that I haven't seen before.

(I guess I owe Mitesh a beverage of some kind).

Perhaps I used to write in a Chinese forum that they always use PQ to simplify this Chinese writing, should use IQ here

May 04, 2015 at 07:53 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · 36MP (D800) vs 12MP (5D)

No worries. Maybe PQ will catch on.

May 04, 2015 at 07:56 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · 36MP (D800) vs 12MP (5D)

DR affects FF DSLR PQ. .

May 04, 2015 at 09:33 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · 36MP (D800) vs 12MP (5D)

Pass.

May 04, 2015 at 09:39 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.