New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Top-loading camera backpack for day hikes

howard
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Top-loading camera backpack for day hikes

Hi,

I know this topic comes up repeatedly, so let me be very specific to justify starting yet another thread.

I am looking for a camera backpack that will meet the following requirements:

1. It must be able to hold the following gear:
1) one Canon 5D or 7D type of camera
2) one standard zoom (mounted on the camera), such as 24-105 f/4 L or 24-70 f/4 L
3) one extra lens such as a 17-40 or 16-35
4) one flash such as a 430 EX
5) separate pouches for 1 liter of water and food (1 6-inch sandwich, 1 candy bar, see I am being very specific here you see :-) ) for a day hikes
6) other accessories such as filters, cable release, extra memory cards, etc.
7) a carbon fiber tripod
2. It must be top-loading and must have a shoulder strap. This way I can carry it slung over one shoulder and access the gear quickly. This is important because I have used side-access backpacks, but with these, you have to put the bag down to take things out, not very convenient when you are on a trail.
3. Ideally modular so that I can add/remove extra pouches and bottle holders, etc.
4. Durable and somewhat weather-proof -- I don't demand it to be water proof as I don't plan on dunking it in water, but it must be able to at least resist light rain.

My old Tamrac "Extreme Series" backpack fits this description (posted below). Problem is that mine is falling apart after about 16 years of use, and Tamrac does not seem to make this model anymore.

http://www.travelerathome.com/image_upload/other/tamrac.jpg

Is there anything on the market today that will meet my needs?

Thanks,
Howard

May 01, 2015 at 05:20 PM
C Parish
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Top-loading camera backpack for day hikes

I really like the think tank Top Loader system on a belt or shoulder strap.

The only thing is that I think you need to use the belt system to have the additional components you are looking for.

You could consider the belt for components and the shoulder strap for the holster....

Components: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/modular-component-sets.aspx

Holsters: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/digital-holsters/digital-holsters.aspx

Cheers

May 02, 2015 at 08:30 AM
C Parish
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Top-loading camera backpack for day hikes

Hi Howa d

I was using my digital holster the other day and realized that you can attach a modular case to the side of it.

Gets you closer to what you are after.

Cheers

May 05, 2015 at 07:04 AM
howard
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Top-loading camera backpack for day hikes

C Parish wrote:
Hi Howa d

I was using my digital holster the other day and realized that you can attach a modular case to the side of it.

Gets you closer to what you are after.

Cheers

Thanks!

Actually I have the Think Tank Digital Holster 30 v2 bag. I think these holster type bags may be too small for my need -- I need to store camera, lens, extra lens, flash AND food and water. I think that a proper backpack may suit me better. Right now I am looking at the Tamrac Mirage 60 ...

May 05, 2015 at 08:05 AM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Top-loading camera backpack for day hikes

Another consideration would be getting a top-loading hiking backpack from Osprey or a similar company, and using an insert at the top. It seems like most camera backpacks, even the more well designed ones, try to put camera/lens storage lower down in the pack for better weight distribution and balance.

May 06, 2015 at 08:13 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.