New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · "Toilet to Tap" Plant

Tuan Le
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · "Toilet to Tap" Plant

I usually shoot landscapes but haven't had a chance to head out much the past year. So I shoot what I can, including family and my current jobsite, the OC Water District Ground Water Replenishment System plant in Fountain Valley, CA. This plant is one of the largest of its kind in the world, taking in water from the sanitation plant next door and turning it into drinking water. The second phase of this project I'm working on will expand the plant from producing 70 MGD (million of gallons a day) to 100 MGD. They give free tours all the time so it's a great place to visit and take some photos. Here are some that I've managed to take over the course of the project.

#1 Secondary Effluent Tank

#2 Decarbonator

#3 Lime Saturator

#4 Reverse Osmosis

#5 Ultra Violet

Edited on May 01, 2015 at 01:11 PM · View previous versions

May 01, 2015 at 01:01 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · "Toilet to Tap" Plant

Nice Tuan! I enjoy seeing other peoples industrial shots. I work at a refinery in Carson and have posted some of the equipment I work with, but this seems so much cleaner! I recognized the RO system as we employ the same system for our cooling towers...hope you post some more! Will you be submitting to the OC Fair this year?

Greg

May 01, 2015 at 02:27 AM
Shiva dancing
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · "Toilet to Tap" Plant

Tuan,

As a waterborne disease microbiologist, I very much appreciate these photos and the work you are doing.
Artistically, I enjoy the symmetry of the structure in the first photo.

cheers!
Steve

May 01, 2015 at 03:29 AM
Tuan Le
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · "Toilet to Tap" Plant

gregfountain wrote:
Nice Tuan! I enjoy seeing other peoples industrial shots. I work at a refinery in Carson and have posted some of the equipment I work with, but this seems so much cleaner! I recognized the RO system as we employ the same system for our cooling towers...hope you post some more! Will you be submitting to the OC Fair this year?

Greg

Thanks Greg. This plant is one of the cleanest I've ever worked on, even considering that the raw production material is poop water. Probably helps with public perception to keep the place tidy when so many tours are going through the plant. Not sure I'll have anything to submit this year for the fair but I'll definitely make it there to see everyone else's entries. Hopefully I'll see yours?

---------------------------------------------

Shiva dancing wrote:
Tuan,

As a waterborne disease microbiologist, I very much appreciate these photos and the work you are doing.
Artistically, I enjoy the symmetry of the structure in the first photo.

cheers!
Steve

Thanks for picking out your favorite Steve. I'd imagine your work will become increasingly important in the future. The tank in #1 is being filled soon so it may be a while before anyone see it in the same condition you see here.

May 01, 2015 at 08:54 AM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · "Toilet to Tap" Plant

Nice images! Is that location what I personally call the "poop plant" adjacent to the Santa Ana "river"?

I love manufacturing environments, always have.

May 01, 2015 at 10:44 AM
Tuan Le
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · "Toilet to Tap" Plant

TrojanHorse wrote:
Nice images! Is that location what I personally call the "poop plant" adjacent to the Santa Ana "river"?

I love manufacturing environments, always have.

The OCSD "poop plant" is next to the river and is a separate entity right next to this water plant. Treated water that would otherwise get released through a pipeline 5 miles offshore from the OCSD is now being used to produce drinkable water.

If you ever take a tour of the plant, there's one portion where you can sample the water being produced. I haven't had a chance to try it yet even though I've gone by a hundred times.

May 01, 2015 at 07:57 PM
WillMilne

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · "Toilet to Tap" Plant

Hi

love the industrial nature of the subject matter and the delicate post work . #4 is especially well composed and presented.

May 02, 2015 at 06:47 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.