Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fountains

Are fountains cliche/boring?

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:17 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fountains

I don't think they are depending on how they are captured.

With the first two images I think a centered symmetrical shot would have worked better here. The bottom pool area looks odd clipped off on the right side like that. If there was something over there that hurt the image I think I would have clipped both sides off the same amount and keep the fountain centered.

One thing comes to mind that could possibly make this a coolish shot. Take your shoes off and climb right in there! Shoot with a wide lens straight up keeping all three tiers evenly stacked, symmetrical with a consistent spacing between them. Think stacked but stepping down in size as it moves away from the lens. Maybe a super long exposure to get a cool flowing water thing going. And maybe shot at night with the right light.

Might need a strong battery operated fan to keep the water off the lens.

Now that would be interesting.

And you get clean feet all at the same time.

You'll want a second shooter with you though. The image of you shooting it with all the BS involved to get the shot would be priceless.

May 04, 2015 at 02:21 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fountains

Thanks for the reply, Dave! With the lack of response I was just assuming that they WERE pretty dull.

I initially had the first shot composed like that in order to capture other verticals in the scene as well get the river in the background. I agree that the comp/crop is somewhat awkward, but I felt a centered composition would have been too boring. Not saying that either of us are WRONG, just a difference of opinion.

Interesting idea! I wonder how a fisheye lens would do here. The rounded edges could play up a nicely centered fountain stack.

My favorite from this little selection is the last. Just 'feels' the most right.

Cheers,

Jeff

May 04, 2015 at 02:25 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fountains

Agree, the camera's POV is terribly 'boring.' It's like you just walked by and snapped a pic in mid stride. Yawn.

Forget the post-processing attempts; they are a waste of time and a diversion from the real problem. Instead, spend the time and effort _before_ squeezing the shutter. Move the camera. Tilt up and down and sideways. Try different focal lengths. Play with the focal points and DOV. MAKE an interesting point of view. Then, and only they, start thinking about taking a shot. Like LH says, you should be crawling all over the fountain...

May 04, 2015 at 02:50 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fountains

Greg Campbell wrote:
Agree, the camera's POV is terribly 'boring.' It's like you just walked by and snapped a pic in mid stride. Yawn.

Forget the post-processing attempts; they are a waste of time and a diversion from the real problem. Instead, spend the time and effort _before_ squeezing the shutter. Move the camera. Tilt up and down and sideways. Try different focal lengths. Play with the focal points and DOV. MAKE an interesting point of view. Then, and only they, start thinking about taking a shot. Like LH says, you should be crawling all over the fountain...

Greg, thanks for the feedback!

While I do agree these aren't the most innovative or exciting shots I don't agree that they are the 'just shoot from the hip as I walked by' variety.

+1 at more pre-shutter thought.

Cheers,

Jeff

May 04, 2015 at 04:23 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fountains

There is much to like in the first two. Nicely detailed, sharpened. Pleasing color. Good choice of DOF. Verticals are just that. And the toned version is interesting. But the "missing" arc on the right bothers me. Could be a statement, but I am not sure what it would be saying without a series or other context.
I like the second pair more. Again, nice choice of DOF. The centering seems right. But I think what makes it is the freeze action on the droplets. I like both but prefer the richness of the BW and I like the border effect as well.
Scott

May 04, 2015 at 08:16 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fountains

Thanks, Scott!

Sounds like the consensus is that the crop is too awkward. Perhaps being different just to be different?

Jeff

May 04, 2015 at 08:21 PM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fountains

Agreed that the first is awkward... I think the 2nd set is the better one... as scott said... the 'freeze action' on the droplets really makes it.

May 05, 2015 at 10:01 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fountains

Might find a fountain more interesting if you make a long exposure to blur and merge the water flow rather than a high shutter speed that freezes each droplet. Might need to us a neutral density filter to stretch the shutter speed long enough. Also, when you shoot a cliché, you need something special such as unusual or special light. An unusual point of view can also help.

May 05, 2015 at 04:12 PM
NuclearRoy
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fountains

Definately #4. Very nice image.

May 14, 2015 at 12:30 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fountains

FarmerJohn wrote:
Agreed that the first is awkward... I think the 2nd set is the better one... as scott said... the 'freeze action' on the droplets really makes it.

Thank you for the feedback, John! The first one is as good as deleted lol.

---------------------------------------------

AuntiPode wrote:
Might find a fountain more interesting if you make a long exposure to blur and merge the water flow rather than a high shutter speed that freezes each droplet. Might need to us a neutral density filter to stretch the shutter speed long enough. Also, when you shoot a cliché, you need something special such as unusual or special light. An unusual point of view can also help.

Thanks for the comments, Karen, as always!

---------------------------------------------

NuclearRoy wrote:
Definately #4. Very nice image.

Cheers Roy!

May 14, 2015 at 02:30 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.