New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · message?

beanpkk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · message?

You have all seen the advertisement that appears on FM with an apparently naked man lying on his stomach, propping himself up on his elbows, looking intensely at something possibly out of the frame. On the left side, the image has three words: DANCER DEFIER OWNER.

RustyBug in particular and many others of us on the critique board talk a lot about "what's the message" of an image. So I pose the question: what's the message of that image?

Is it good to be a defier? A defier of who or what? Does it matter? Is the ad encouraging defiance? In the US today if one defies the wrong cause/people one is liable to find one's business shut down and the recipient of death threats and calls on public media to burn down one's property. Does that play into the message of this ad?

Owner of what? is it good to be an owner? Does the ad say we should all own and defy?

What does the image say about defiance? Ownership? or dancing for that matter? What is the naked man doing? Why is he naked? Is his nakedness a part of the message? If not why is he naked? Are we supposed to recognize this man?

I'm just curious what any of you think. Does the ad evoke any sort of reaction for you?

Thanks,
keith

Apr 30, 2015 at 07:51 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · message?

I don't recall seeing such an image. Perhaps it's something I tune out from notice as advertising noise.

Apr 30, 2015 at 08:37 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · message?

Sorry Keith ... I've missed the image so far as well ... but will watch for it.

Apr 30, 2015 at 09:29 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · message?

I also have never seen this ad. Thankfully

I have noticed that some of the ads that pop-up around here are related to tracking cookies. For instance, the other day I was looking at new graphics cards and low and behold there were a bunch of graphics card ads popping up here.

I understand your asking about the intended message of the ad your seeing, but if you find it offensive you might be able to make it go away by clearing out your cookies. You might have visited a modeling photography site or something which somehow planted a cookie that brings up that strange ad.

May 01, 2015 at 09:21 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · message?

I should note I use Ghostery and ABP (AdBlock Plus) plug-ins for my browsers. Together they clobber virtually all pop-ups and ad tracking in my browser windows so I don't see many intrusive or targeted ads.

May 01, 2015 at 03:59 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · message?

AuntiPode wrote:
I should note I use Ghostery and ABP (AdBlock Plus) plug-ins for my browsers. Together they clobber virtually all pop-ups and ad tracking in my browser windows so I don't see many intrusive or targeted ads.

Right there with you on ABP - I haven't seen the ad either.

Jeff

May 01, 2015 at 04:21 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · message?

Wow! I never used ABP before but just loaded it and it has really improved the speed browsing this forum.

Cool! Thank you Karen!

May 01, 2015 at 05:49 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · message?

thanks for the comments -- I hadn't thought of it being a result of some cookie or other. I'll get rid of the cookies and see what happens.

Sorry to post what amounts to a meaningless msg for most of you.
keith

May 01, 2015 at 07:05 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · message?

One thing I might add about "message" of an image.

Sometimes (i.e. in advertising, especially) the message is very simply "Made you look !!!" ... and that can be accomplished from anything that ranges from novelty to shock ... and the image itself doesn't have any relevant message inherent to itself.

Kinda reminds me of the Clown Suit salesman, or the blow up figures @ car dealers, or balloons or

The point (or message) is simply ... "Made you look !!!" ... now that you looked (i.e I got your attention), let's see if I can keep your attention with something else that is my real message.

May 01, 2015 at 08:56 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · message?

Considering that we've all been discussing it I think they did their job.

May 01, 2015 at 08:57 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · message?

The downside to that is that there exists a disconnect between the image and the real message (i.e. the product) that the irrelevant message (shock / novelty) is retained, while the product (real message) is readily forgotten.

A zillion cute / clever / novel ads on tv ... and 1/2 a zillion that nobody can remember the product 10 minutes later. It's a dicey proposition at best, to present an unrelated message to "make you look" ... unless you have substantial repetition to reinforce the lack of a relevant connection. That, or you're just playing the numbers for impulse follow through @ curiosity.

Playing a "numbers" game ... easy and effective to a degree. But, that is a far different matter from command & control of your crafting a well orchestrated message. "Skin to win" @ "Sex Sells" is a long standing "Made you look." strategy ... just ask Hardee's how effective it's been for them of late. But, even that can be done to varying degree of message relevance / irrelevance.

May 01, 2015 at 09:29 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.