Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Fanny pack

MollyYoung
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fanny pack

Do any of you use a fanny pack waist bag to carry your gear?
I've been toying with the idea of removing all weight off my shoulders and like to keep my bag in my person throughout the wedding day.
Just wondering if anyone has experience with waist packs.

Apr 30, 2015 at 06:36 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fanny pack

Molly, as your friend I feel comfortable saying that you're way too young and pretty to ruin it with a fanny pack. This is an intervention

Apr 30, 2015 at 07:58 PM
MollyYoung
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fanny pack

What if we call it a comfortable waist accessory. I could bedazzle it and everything.

Apr 30, 2015 at 08:05 PM
joshua grasso
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fanny pack

friends dont let friends pack their fanny's

Apr 30, 2015 at 08:07 PM
MollyYoung
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fanny pack

Well that escalated quickly.

Apr 30, 2015 at 08:25 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fanny pack

A SAY WHAT ?

That has got to have a different meaning to what it would be understood to be here or this thread would have been taken down already!!

Apr 30, 2015 at 08:32 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fanny pack

I'll take two

http://theworstthingsforsale.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/the-man-sack-fanny-pack.jpg

Apr 30, 2015 at 08:34 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fanny pack

How about you get yourself a stylish ONA bag... that would be much better...

Apr 30, 2015 at 09:28 PM
MollyYoung
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fanny pack

Ona is not really my style. I've given up on being stylish. I would much rather be comfortable and functional.

Apr 30, 2015 at 09:58 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fanny pack

Then get a ThinkTank belt system, you'll look super comfortable and functional.

Apr 30, 2015 at 10:28 PM
dgleason
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fanny pack

What exactly are you wanting to have in the fanny pack? My wife picked up a really small compact purse with a strap long enough she can wear it across her body. Pairs that with the 35/85 combo and a moneymaker and she's got a nice mobile system.. Anything more and she makes me carry it :/

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:08 PM
MollyYoung
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fanny pack

dgleason wrote:
What exactly are you wanting to have in the fanny pack? My wife picked up a really small compact purse with a strap long enough she can wear it across her body. Pairs that with the 35/85 combo and a moneymaker and she's got a nice mobile system.. Anything more and she makes me carry it :/

My goal is to get as much weight off my shoulders as possible or at least even it out where it isn't so horribly painful. I basically come home after most weddings with my shoulder bruised. I like keeping my gear on my person as much as I can.
In said fanny pack I would love to have 2-3 lenses (one of them being 70-200) speedlight, triggers, batteries, memory cards, business cards.

May 01, 2015 at 01:14 PM
Mr Kris
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fanny pack

So- I do own the Think Tank belt system, though any decent belt system (or "fanny" or lumbar pack) all do the same thing with the weight. The weight all goes directly to your hips and then legs, so it's certainly less fatiguing than anything with a shoulder strap. Everybody will be different, but you can carry some number of lenses (or any arbitrary object) like that and it's not even noticeable.

One thing I like about the Think Tank system is that the lens pouches can slide along the belt, so you can bring stuff to the front to take stuff in/out, or put stuff in the back if you need to get down low on your belly or something. (I imagine most of the belt systems do this.)

When I go on a short hike, I have a North Face "lumbar pack" that I can fit a couple bottles of water and a mirrorless camera system in. I can wear that for miles/hours with no discomfort.

Fashionability is a separate topic, of course- but in terms of comfort, yes, far better than anything on your shoulders.

May 01, 2015 at 01:29 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fanny pack

I heard Tony Hart has a pretty big fanny pack. You might wanna shoot him up.

May 01, 2015 at 01:48 PM
dgleason
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fanny pack

I hear ya Molly. The gear carry struggle is real! I will say this though.. my photography got a lot better when I learned to simplify. Juggling all that gear slows most people down and distracts. Me included. When I decided to roll with only two cameras, two lenses and memory cards on me, and stash the stuff that I only use on occasion in a roller bag, things got a LOT better. I might suggest to just re-evaluate what you really need on you and stash the rest. Game changer

May 01, 2015 at 01:55 PM
Elijah
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fanny pack

TTLKurtis wrote:
How about you get yourself a stylish ONA bag... that would be much better...

I've been meaning to give an ONA a try myself... Been hearing a lot about it lately.

May 01, 2015 at 02:48 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fanny pack

Elijah wrote:
I've been meaning to give an ONA a try myself... Been hearing a lot about it lately.

Love my ONA Bowery bag, holds two primes or one big zoom, perfect for my needs.

I have tried their bigger bags but I didn't like having two buckles to open/close and they were just too big for what I wanted.

May 01, 2015 at 04:19 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fanny pack

dgleason wrote:
I hear ya Molly. The gear carry struggle is real! I will say this though.. my photography got a lot better when I learned to simplify. Juggling all that gear slows most people down and distracts. Me included. When I decided to roll with only two cameras, two lenses and memory cards on me, and stash the stuff that I only use on occasion in a roller bag, things got a LOT better. I might suggest to just re-evaluate what you really need on you and stash the rest. Game changer

I like this approach really. Changing habits to shed un-necessary weight. I keep two bodies on my moneymaker, a couple batteries in my pocket, and a shoulder bag with lenses and other sundry in the area (back of ceremony space somewhere, in prep area somewhere, at reception under a light stand or by the DJ, etc.) This usually works well, though I like the idea of paring down more and just having less crap with me. I shot my first wedding (grossly under-prepared) with just a 35 f/1.8...and I'd love to try this again some time. More time thinking at one focal length, less time dicking around with gear.

May 01, 2015 at 08:40 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fanny pack

glort wrote:
A SAY WHAT ?

That has got to have a different meaning to what it would be understood to be here or this thread would have been taken down already!!

Yes. One of two words of the King's English that translate (or mis-translate) with considerable astonishment. A good life lesson. Taxation without representation can lead to some peculiar stuff.

May 02, 2015 at 08:56 AM
ShutterbugJ
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fanny pack

I use a Think Tank belt system along with my BlackRapid Dual Strap (which I alternate with Think Tank neck straps, depending on situation. Although it's not exactly stylish, I love the belt system, and find I can easily carry an extra lens or four, light meter, etc for extended periods of time.

May 02, 2015 at 12:47 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.