FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Magee Marsh Questions

johnip
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Magee Marsh Questions

I am going to be visiting Magee Marsh from May 13-15 and heading home Saturday. This is during the big birding week, and I had a few questions for the veterans.

1. Which lens? I've got a 400f/5.6 and the 500f/4 + 1.4x teleconverter. I doubt it, but is 500mm or 700mm too much lens there? I've read conflicting advice.

2. Closely related, is there going to be room to maneuver with a Big White on the boardwalk? I've seen some crowded photos and if I can't move without knocking someone's head off I'll leave it at home. I'm mostly shooting handheld.

3. What are some of the other good spots for photography in the park or nearby, or should I focus on the boardwalk and parking lot for the best photo opportunities? Warblers are, of course, the main draw, but I like all kinds of birds!

Any tips or tricks to help out are greatly appreciated. Oh, and so I don't embarrass myself up there, how is it pronounced? Muh-ghee or Maggie?

Thanks,
John

Apr 30, 2015 at 01:23 PM
pdmilesjr
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Magee Marsh Questions

I was there last year and will be there this year beginning on the 4th. I am taking my 600mm Tamron and my tripod. Last year there were many photogs there with big lenses and tripods. Muh-ghee is the proper pronunciation I believe. I thin 700mm might be a little long.

Apr 30, 2015 at 01:39 PM
johnip
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Magee Marsh Questions

Thanks pdmilesjr.

Apr 30, 2015 at 05:30 PM
johnip
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Magee Marsh Questions

Surely there have been others that have visited?!

May 01, 2015 at 05:09 PM
jaylee73
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Magee Marsh Questions

I made a visit to Magee a couple years ago. Most of my shots were taken with a 500 and 1.4x on a full frame. You won't go wrong with a 500 and 1.4. I found it difficult to use a tripod on the boardwalks as it was pretty crowded so handheld it was. I was only there for one day but really enjoyed it.

May 01, 2015 at 07:02 PM
johnip
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Magee Marsh Questions

Thanks jaylee. I'll be bringing a 7d and 5dm3 with me. I'll see how the first day goes without a tripod and go from there. I find them constrictive anyway.

May 02, 2015 at 04:08 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Magee Marsh Questions

Weekends are crowded. The light in the boardwalk area is tricky, shade and bright sun or sun or shade only. You will get tired hand holding a 500 and swinging it up and chasing the quick movers in the canopy often over your head.
Outside the boardwalk entrance area can offer great opportunities, better light, tripods are usually set up there not in and on the boardwalk area. More shots will be close than far and at times MFD can be a problem with the 500 or 400.
There are spotters along the way that often will help show you where certain birds are being seen, you will find guides with laser pointers at times showing folks where birds are that can be helpful to you. They are small birds, they move fast!

Early morning shooting on outside perimeters gives best light. As sun comes up the boardwalk inner area gets light. Consider flash use too if you are comfortable with it. Nice fill from any shadowing leaves or in shaded areas.

have fun, it can be warm in on the boardwalk out of the breeze but very cool as you are on the Lake when exposed to the wind and open area, it has been a very very cool Spring so far, growth of foliage has been slow but at your dates will be more an issue.
Eagles nest in proximity of parking lot, old dead trees along lake offering Woodpecker shots, keep your eyes peeled and move around a lot! Stop and watch in the lower areas for movement, lots of little birds working low to find.

If I had to pick a 'Magee' lens for Canon I would say the 400 DO would be excellent, compact, lightweight, fast and IS.
Karl

May 02, 2015 at 09:14 PM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Magee Marsh Questions

Great place and time to visit John. I went there 2 years ago with a 5D M2 + 500 and 7D + 300+1.4. 5D2 was a dog with the 500 on the boardwalk though I was using only the center point. After a very brief while I put the 5 & 5 back in camera and just worked with the 7 + 3 + 1.4. Combo worked perfect

Enjoy your time and look fwd to see some photos.

May 03, 2015 at 12:09 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.