New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Nowhere to go?

Ageingoaf

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nowhere to go?

Hi folks.
First post....
I have 2 70D's and recently tried two f2.8 "standard" zooms on them both. These lenses were the EF-S 17-55 and the Tamron 17-50 vc.
The EFS wont focus correctly at 2.8, despite MFA-ing it to death, and the Tamron locks up every time I go from near to far focus.
Both have been returned. As my 18-200, 15-85, 40mm, 24mm 60mm, and 70-200 are fine, I don't suspect the cameras.

The question is, "what f2.8 lens would YOU recommend as a quick, do it all, (within limits!), piece?"
Budget £800

Or should I just buy a 6D and forget APSC?

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:51 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nowhere to go?

Hello and welcome.

If you have 2 70D's and both of them have problems with both lenses then you seem to have 2 duff lenses. I wouldn't give up on an entire system due to that. It's possible the Tamron might not be entirely compatible (just a guess) but the 17-55 should be.

My personal opinion is that you still can't beat a Tamron 17-50 non-VC for sharpness and value if you want a max ap of f2.8

I think you should work out where the problems really lie and take it from there, otherwise you have a lot of gear to sell

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:58 PM
Ageingoaf

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nowhere to go?

Thank you, DH.

I've really come to the end of my tether trying to understand the problems. The Tamron dealer told me that he had heard of the locking up problem before, but only once!
The EFS is/was a nightmare. MFA improved it, (+10 tele), but then it was simply unpredictable; sometimes good, sometimes great, often awful. I tried everything, or at least believe I did.
So you see, I've failed, (over a week), to get any logical explanation. That's why I'm seriously considering drastic action.

Apr 30, 2015 at 01:05 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nowhere to go?

You say you have two 70D's. Did you buy them together? Have you had any lenses that did work properly? Can you send them back or to Canon under warranty to be checked and calibrated?

You have four items which all appear to be malfunctioning, that is very unlikely IMHO.

Do you have an alternative lens or body so you can do more comprehensive testing?

Apr 30, 2015 at 01:08 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nowhere to go?

that really does sound strange . I had the 17-55 and the thing was peach on my 7D .
Maybe worth trying another example . I still think its the best allrounder for canon crop .

But if your not willing to go down that route then the Sigma 18-35 gets some very good reviews . No stabilisation and its 20mm shorter then the EFs but it is a stop and a bit faster . its Dock Compliant so if it gives you issues it could be sorted on the dock (although Im not sure about dock adjusting a lens with 2 different bodies though)

the other crop standard 2.8 is the Sigma 17-50 or the 17-70 2.8-4 (i think it goes to f4 quite early in the zoom range though)

Apr 30, 2015 at 01:40 PM
DesertFoxPhoto

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nowhere to go?

I would definitely agree on the Sigma 18-35 being a great alternate choice if the other two lenses don't pan out. The extra speed has been fantastic in dark venues like convention centers, indoor dance events, nightclubs and other low light areas.

Apr 30, 2015 at 02:42 PM
Ageingoaf

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nowhere to go?

I'll try to explain a little more. The 18-135, 15,85, 70-200, 24, 40 and 60mm lenses are all great. No issues at all.
The two bodies were bought about 5 months apart from 2 different dealers, and seem to behave very well indeed.

I agree that this all sounds unlikely. I can't believe it myself, but it's happened! Very odd. But... The main thrust of this message is, "where next?"
I did wonder about the 18-35, as you've suggested, but don't really think it's quite long enough at the tele end. Shame, because I hear it's amazing!
Anyone tried Sigma offereings in the 17-50 ish range?

Apr 30, 2015 at 02:56 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nowhere to go?

How were you testing your AF anyway?f2.8 is a little more challenging than f4, that's for sure.

I'd recommend finding a friend with a known-good f2.8 lens and testing that. It's possible both of your cameras have the same issue but it's also possible it's user error, or maybe you just randomly got two bad lenses at the same time. Maybe your dealer can help you test a replacement tamron?

Apr 30, 2015 at 07:22 PM
Ageingoaf

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nowhere to go?

I tested the AF by:
1/ Basic "real world" results
2/ Live view comparisons
3/ Test shot examination with targets set up

My 24mm, 40mm, and 60mm are all f2.8 lenses, and really good. No problems with them. I also tried an old 28mm f2.8, and that was fine too....

My real concern is where to go now... There seems to be no other good "standard" zoom to try.

May 01, 2015 at 12:16 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.