New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Canon 10-18 STM

tony rizzo
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 10-18 STM

Have not been on the post for a while. I was hoping to get some feed back on the 10-18 Canon STM lens with the 7dll or other 1.6 bodies. Primarily of course for landscape IQ etc.
Thanks Tony
Thanks for all you replies and feedback was a help. Will give one a try.
Tony

Edited on Apr 30, 2015 at 04:24 PM · View previous versions

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:35 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 10-18 STM

delete the other duplicate thread or you will soon get a very confused pair of threads

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:43 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 10-18 STM

The members of this forum tend to shoot with big guns so the 10-18 STM didn't get a lot of discussion like the 16-35 series. However, there are a zillion reviews on this lens, both pro and amateur, so no shortage of opinions out there. I really like it and find it just as sharp as my 10-22 USM but with the added advantage of being much lighter and having smoother video focus and IS. It's an ideal companion for the SL1. My musings on the 10-18:

http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/canon_efs10-18_STM.htm

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:47 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 10-18 STM

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
delete the other duplicate thread or you will soon get a very confused pair of threads

There's still time to delete it, before anyone posts on it!

The lens is very good, especially for the price. In fact I don't think I've ever heard a word against it!

Edited on Apr 30, 2015 at 11:53 AM · View previous versions

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:50 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 10-18 STM

seem to remember a little 'feature' of the lens that it would go out of focus (set to manual) when the camera goes to sleep or something similar .
Not a serious issue for most but I know the guy who left it set out in the wild doing a long timeless (or something similar) ended up with a bunch of OOF images .

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:51 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 10-18 STM

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
seem to remember a little 'feature' of the lens that it would go out of focus (set to manual) when the camera goes to sleep or something similar .
Not a serious issue for most but I know the guy who left it set out in the wild doing a long timeless (or something similar) ended up with a bunch of OOF images .

Yes that and FTM doesn't work unless the shutter button was just half-depressed. That one really bothered me at first but you adapt.

Edited on Apr 30, 2015 at 11:55 AM · View previous versions

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:54 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 10-18 STM

Ian.Dobinson wrote:

I think all the STM's do that. They are only awake and active when the camera is too. It's a small issue that once you know about you just instinctively press the shutter halfway before you do anything. No big deal.

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:54 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 10-18 STM

OK I didn't realise it was all STM .
I guess its no issue most of the time I just mentioned it as Id seen it posted .

would be an issue for stuff like time-lapse though I guess .

Apr 30, 2015 at 01:25 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 10-18 STM

Personally, my favorite reviewer is Bryan Carnathan over at TDP:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-10-18mm-f-4.5-5.6-IS-STM-Lens.aspx

He, like many others, had good things to say about the lens considering the price point. Currently helping my girlfriend find a lightly used copy for her photography right now...

Apr 30, 2015 at 01:28 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 10-18 STM

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
would be an issue for stuff like time-lapse though I guess .

I don't know for sure but I expect some clever engineer has thought of that

Apr 30, 2015 at 01:29 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.