Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · What makes you relatable to your clients?

ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What makes you relatable to your clients?

The most important thing, the top thing, the first thing on the list... you get it. What does it come down to?

I've chosen the word relatable but I am aware it sits very close to trust, which I think many will agree is more important. I do think relatability plays a role of it's own, but feel free to expand in whichever direction you like.

Feel free to elaborate whichever you pick.

Thanks

Apr 30, 2015 at 08:24 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What makes you relatable to your clients?

Values/Interests (and how they reflect in our images)...personality

Apr 30, 2015 at 08:59 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What makes you relatable to your clients?

Something that isn't up there. My honesty and the fact that I go out of my way to do things how I think they should be done and not just how everyone does things, show that I care and want the best for them. That loses me anyone looking for the best deal but the people I book have an immense amount of trust in us.

Apr 30, 2015 at 10:21 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What makes you relatable to your clients?

hard to sum up in one word, but taking the time to get to know them and allowing them to get to know you a bit and pretty much what Kurtis said

Apr 30, 2015 at 10:31 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What makes you relatable to your clients?

TTLKurtis wrote:
Something that isn't up there. My honesty and the fact that I go out of my way to do things how I think they should be done and not just how everyone does things, show that I care and want the best for them. That loses me anyone looking for the best deal but the people I book have an immense amount of trust in us.

Could you break that one down further Kurtis?

I find a disconnect between 'going out of my way', 'doing things differently', 'showing I care' and how that would directly make you more relatable to your clients?

Are you saying your clients are very hard working, caring etc and seeing those qualities in you makes you relatable?

Apr 30, 2015 at 10:48 AM
MattGruber
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What makes you relatable to your clients?

Wow, that's tough, because I feel like it's a bit of all of those choices. I tend to build real relationships and friendships with my clients, and that all comes down to honesty, and the fact that they can tell I actually care. I joke around a lot, and keep it lighthearted. At almost every wedding, I have a bridesmaid or groomsmen or someone come up and say how the last wedding they were in, the photographer was barking orders at them, or simply a stuffy monotoned robot. That reaffirms to me that having a personality while still remaining professionalism can go a long way in making people relate and feel comfortable with you.

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:13 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What makes you relatable to your clients?

ricardovaste wrote:
Could you break that one down further Kurtis?

I find a disconnect between 'going out of my way', 'doing things differently', 'showing I care' and how that would directly make you more relatable to your clients?

Are you saying your clients are very hard working, caring etc and seeing those qualities in you makes you relatable?

When I talk to an inquiring bride, I explain how I do things, how 99% of photographers do things, and why I do things differently. It is all centered around a no-bullshit approach, an anti-salesmanship viewpoint... basically just being a good person who gives a shit and is brutally honest, very opinionated, and will take good care of them, going far beyond what is expected.

Some brides just hear ching, ching, ching (this is going to cost too much), and other brides get it. They appreciate that I'm educating them, that I am not following the pack, and that they're going to get zero bullshit from me. They appreciate that they can ask me a question about literally anything and I'm going to be completely open and honest with their best interests at heart, because basically I have no filter and I don't sugarcoat things. I think my clients appreciate and respect that.

In terms of how this makes me "relatable" - I hear quite often from brides that before we even shoot them they feel like they're talking to their brother when they talk to me. I think that speaks to being relatable and being trustworthy.

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:31 AM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What makes you relatable to your clients?

Were does personality fit in that list?

Apr 30, 2015 at 01:46 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What makes you relatable to your clients?

My work first and foremost. Second would be age. Brides tend to trust me like a father.

Apr 30, 2015 at 01:54 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What makes you relatable to your clients?

Needs to be multiple choice. You can't be successful with just one. Honesty/Integrity is missing.

Apr 30, 2015 at 02:13 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What makes you relatable to your clients?

amonline wrote:
Needs to be multiple choice. You can't be successful with just one. Honesty/Integrity is missing.

I would put that under values, personally

Apr 30, 2015 at 04:08 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What makes you relatable to your clients?

A individual's values are not exactly the same as their integrity or honesty. IMO, those are three different things. I would agree that values are a "measurement" of integrity. Eh, I could give an example, but I don't want to make it political or controversial.

Apr 30, 2015 at 04:34 PM
MollyYoung
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What makes you relatable to your clients?

I would say personality, relatability, and honesty.

Apr 30, 2015 at 08:11 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What makes you relatable to your clients?

For me it would be my ability to convince them I understand what they want and can provide it.
I work on thinking outside the box, doing things for a reason rather than doing them because that's the way everyone else does them and taking control where needed to serve their best interests without being a pain in their arses all day.

I'd also say humility in my attitude in that I will work around their day and what they want rather than taking a position that they should orientate the day to my needs that is endearing to them.
Thats a feedback I'm getting more and more from clients whom have seen other shooters and feel like they want everything done to suit them. I tell them I'll make them aware of things and let them make the decision of what they want to do on the day and work to that and this seems to do down real well.

I think many of my clients would book me because I am different to them.
90% of my clients probably haven't ridden a bike on the road let alone have a Harley parked in their lounge room. It's this " Out there" factor that is a drawcard for a lot of the people I work with.

At my age and stage of life now. I'm moving away from being able to relateable to most of my clients. They are beginning to have more in common with my kids than me.

It's the experience, been there done that, how about this alternative, have you thought of something else, I want to take the pictures that you will be most happy with, not what I want to do, position that I think is why people want me to be their shooter.

Apr 30, 2015 at 08:28 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.