New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · CF card errors with USB 3.0, okay with USB 2.0

propman07

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · CF card errors with USB 3.0, okay with USB 2.0

Hi-

I recently ran into some issues with my compact flash cards, and a couple of USB 3.0 card readers that I have.

I have a few SanDisk 32GB Extreme Pro CF cards (UDMA 7, 160MB/s) that I used to shoot a couple of events. When I used a USB 3.0 card reader to copy the files to my PC, all of the files were damaged in a similar way as shown in the sample image. I thought it was the cheap card that I was using (Transcend TS-RDF8K), so I picked up a 2nd one. I used a Lexar multi card reader LRW025U to try copying the files again to my PC. I ended up with the same results. I tried to copy the files to two different hard drives, as well as the SSD drive that I have my OS on. Same results.

On a whim, I used an older USB 2.0 card reader to see if that would yield different results. I tried it with 10 .cr2 files and all of them copied without errors. I tried another 10, and they copied okay as well. It took a long time, but I was able to copy all of my files to the PC with no errors.

I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced anything like this, and what you did to resolve it. I formatted the CF cards in two different camera bodies, so I'm not sure if that could be part of the problem or not. I have a Canon 5DMKIII and a Canon 1DMKIV both with the latest firmware.

Thanks for reading.

Here is a link to a couple of sample images copied to the PC using the USB 3.0 card reader.

Sample Images

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:39 AM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · CF card errors with USB 3.0, okay with USB 2.0

Some of the card readers get firmware updates. Check you readers and make sure they are using the most recent firmware.

Apr 29, 2015 at 05:58 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · CF card errors with USB 3.0, okay with USB 2.0

Try another reader or another port.

EBH

Apr 29, 2015 at 07:28 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · CF card errors with USB 3.0, okay with USB 2.0

if youve used 2 DIFFERENT readers and got the same issue then as EB says try a different port .But also have you tried a different cable ?

Apr 30, 2015 at 07:06 AM
propman07

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · CF card errors with USB 3.0, okay with USB 2.0

Thanks for all of the replies.

I went to Lexar's website, but was unable to locate a firmware update for the card reader that I have.

I have tried different USB 3.0 cables as well as different USB 3.0 ports on the PC with the same results.

I have sent a message to Lexar's tech support, so we'll see what they say.

I'm going to try to shoot some jpeg images on one of the cards, and see if I get the same results when trying to copy the files over. I'll post back my results.

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:49 AM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · CF card errors with USB 3.0, okay with USB 2.0

Try a different computer, if one is available to you.

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:01 PM
propman07

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · CF card errors with USB 3.0, okay with USB 2.0

Squirrely Eyed wrote:
Try a different computer, if one is available to you.

I was thinking about that, but I don't have access to another machine with USB 3.0 ports.

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:03 PM
propman07

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · CF card errors with USB 3.0, okay with USB 2.0

propman07 wrote:
I was thinking about that, but I don't have access to another machine with USB 3.0 ports.

Checked the work laptop, and it has USB 3.0 ports....gave that a shot, and low and behold, no copy errors....

So now, I've got to try to figure out what's going on with my primary PC and it's USB 3.0 ports. I downloaded the latest drivers from the website for the MB. I installed them, ran a test, and similar results...images have distorted colors in them.

Not sure what to do at this point....any ideas?

---

Just wanted to update this message. I re-booted the PC, and ran my test again. It looks like the latest drivers from Lexar did the trick. I'm now able to import files from the CF card using the USB 3.0 port without any issues. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Apr 30, 2015 at 05:31 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · CF card errors with USB 3.0, okay with USB 2.0

Glad to hear you got it working. Always reboot Windows after a driver install.

May 01, 2015 at 12:31 PM
propman07

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · CF card errors with USB 3.0, okay with USB 2.0

Squirrely Eyed wrote:
Glad to hear you got it working. Always reboot Windows after a driver install.

lesson learned.

May 01, 2015 at 12:32 PM
propman07

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · CF card errors with USB 3.0, okay with USB 2.0

Here's an interesting bit of info....

I had e-mailed Lexar tech support, but I THOUGHT I had things figured out before I got their reply. Here is what they told me about the card reader in question:

Hello, Thank you for contacting Lexar. I apologize for the inconvenience but the reader you have is not compatible with UDMA 7 cards. At this time, we don't have a firmware update to make it compatible since it's a hardware issue, not a firmware. We do have newer card readers on our website that are compatible. For more information on the two readers, the Professional Dual Slot reader USB 3.0 and the Workflow Hub, here is a link....

They sent me a couple of links to some other card readers. I was able to successfully use the card reader that I have after I updated the drivers. I asked them if it was a speed issue if I used the existing card reader. Here is their reply.

Hello, The reader is not compatible with UDMA 7 cards so that means that the cards would be unusable with the reader. Trying to use the cards with the reader may show signs of an error or the card not being recognized. In some cases, this can cause corruption or damage to the card itself so it's something that we wouldn't recommend using.

Do you think that is possible?

May 02, 2015 at 11:12 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · CF card errors with USB 3.0, okay with USB 2.0

^^^^
can't speak for the Lexar reader you have but I have the Transcend reader you first mentioned (TS-RDF8K) which works fine with my Transcend UDMA7 (32gb 1000x) on both my iMac and my win 8 surface Pro V1

May 02, 2015 at 11:53 AM
propman07

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · CF card errors with USB 3.0, okay with USB 2.0

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
^^^^
can't speak for the Lexar reader you have but I have the Transcend reader you first mentioned (TS-RDF8K) which works fine with my Transcend UDMA7 (32gb 1000x) on both my iMac and my win 8 surface Pro V1

Thanks for the info. I may test the Transcend to see if I can get it to work.

May 02, 2015 at 12:02 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · CF card errors with USB 3.0, okay with USB 2.0

I have a couple Transcend UDMA7 32GB CF cards and they work fine with my Lexar USB3 reader. It fact, shockingly fast for uploads compared to my "fast" SD cards. It's a bare bones model reader with only a single CF port (Workflow CFR1).

May 02, 2015 at 12:22 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · CF card errors with USB 3.0, okay with USB 2.0

I have Transcend and Lexar readers and both brands of 1000x+ memory cards, but prefer to use the Lexar reader with either brand of cards.

EBH

May 02, 2015 at 12:36 PM
helimat
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · CF card errors with USB 3.0, okay with USB 2.0

For what it is worth, I had a Lexar reader and had nothing but problems with it. Switched to a Kingston reader, works like a charm, super fast.

May 02, 2015 at 11:46 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.