Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · easily assembled octa for travel / location? (profoto)

NFlux
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · easily assembled octa for travel / location? (profoto)

I currently have an Elinchrom deep octa, but it's just too much of a pain to setup / teardown. I've worked with the Westcott rapidbox, but the central shaft doesn't lock into place so that's a no-go. I was looking at the Jinbei k-90, but I'm reasonably sure there's no Profoto speeding for it. Are there any other options?

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:24 AM
Sheldon N
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · easily assembled octa for travel / location? (profoto)

If you're using the B1 or B2, have you looked at Profoto's new OCF Softboxes?

Apr 29, 2015 at 03:29 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · easily assembled octa for travel / location? (profoto)

The easiest solution I have found is a PLM with the front diffuser fabric. Almost as quick as an umbrella to set up.

Apr 30, 2015 at 04:04 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · easily assembled octa for travel / location? (profoto)

I'd look at one of the Profoto Umbrella Deep's, the 41" or 51". Add the sock and you have something close to the deep octa and very durable.

Apr 30, 2015 at 06:21 PM
Inga
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · easily assembled octa for travel / location? (profoto)

NFlux wrote:
I currently have an Elinchrom deep octa, but it's just too much of a pain to setup / teardown. I've worked with the Westcott rapidbox, but the central shaft doesn't lock into place so that's a no-go. I was looking at the Jinbei k-90, but I'm reasonably sure there's no Profoto speeding for it. Are there any other options?

Does your octa have the rotalux speedring? I have the softbox version and find it super easy to set up. I leave the rods in the speedring and in the cover. I leave half of the internal baffle press-studs done up, and just put the whole thing like that into the bag. On getting it out of the bag, I lay it on the ground and from above simple push opposing rods down and out until the little locking cylinders pop into place. Repeat for the other two rods. Then clip remaining baffle studs into place, and mount front cover. Takes 20 seconds, if I'm talking to the client at the time, less otherwise.

I know that such a speedring exists for mounting to Profoto strobes too:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=10887638&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi

May 04, 2015 at 10:17 PM
colinm
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · easily assembled octa for travel / location? (profoto)

Came to post what Inga did—the standard ring with the Deep Octas is one of Elinchrom's quick-release Rotalux rings. If you're tearing it down completely after every shoot, you're doing it horribly wrong.

Used with either Elinchrom's Profoto Rotalux ring or the EL-Profoto adapter, set up and tear down don't get much easier. To tear it down, pop the rod locks, fold it up, and you're done. Setup is just a matter of pushing each rod back until it locks by itself.

The only thing faster to set up or tear down is the big momma Elinchrom Octabank, which has all the rods connected together.

May 13, 2015 at 06:55 PM
Elijah
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · easily assembled octa for travel / location? (profoto)

A PCB Foldable strip box, octa box, softbox are amazing & easy to setup. My giant foldable strip box with a grid DOES have a lock on the shaft.
Here's their description quote:

"Our softboxes and octaboxes offer the soft lighting effect that you love without the hassle of construction and setup time. With simple and quick umbrella-like construction, each softbox and octabox arrives with the speedring and frame poles already attached - to form the box, you will simply slide and lock the poles into place, then attach your front diffusion panel. The design saves you time in your studio and allows you to take your softboxes and octaboxes on location."

http://paulcbuff.com/stripboxes.php

May 14, 2015 at 08:34 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · easily assembled octa for travel / location? (profoto)

Inga wrote:
Does your octa have the rotalux speedring? I have the softbox version and find it super easy to set up. I leave the rods in the speedring and in the cover. I leave half of the internal baffle press-studs done up, and just put the whole thing like that into the bag. On getting it out of the bag, I lay it on the ground and from above simple push opposing rods down and out until the little locking cylinders pop into place. Repeat for the other two rods. Then clip remaining baffle studs into place, and mount front cover.
...Show more

---------------------------------------------

colinm wrote:
Came to post what Inga did—the standard ring with the Deep Octas is one of Elinchrom's quick-release Rotalux rings. If you're tearing it down completely after every shoot, you're doing it horribly wrong.

Used with either Elinchrom's Profoto Rotalux ring or the EL-Profoto adapter, set up and tear down don't get much easier. To tear it down, pop the rod locks, fold it up, and you're done. Setup is just a matter of pushing each rod back until it locks by itself.

Thanks very much for that info, Inga, Colin. Any youtube videos that reference to how you go about it - or care to be a rockstar and knock one out so we see how you do it?

Regards,

Chuck

May 21, 2015 at 08:20 PM
Inga
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · easily assembled octa for travel / location? (profoto)

nolaguy wrote:
---------------------------------------------

Thanks very much for that info, Inga, Colin. Any youtube videos that reference to how you go about it - or care to be a rockstar and knock one out so we see how you do it?

Regards,

Chuck

Found one...not in English, but you get the idea:

https://youtu.be/IJdCdJI5ZxQ?t=1m12s

One difference is that I put the modifier on the ground and stand over it, which allows me to grab and push down on opposing rods at the same time. This means I can set up a rectangle in two moves. It makes the process more stable and the box has a tendency to tip over if you're trying to do only one rod at a time. This method (opposing rods) works with the octa as well, but there is a bit more resistance. There is a bit of technique involved, but it's simple physics at play. Because the lug is cylindrical, and so is the receiver, but the rod resists being at right angles to the ring, you need to apply a reasonable amount of downward pressure to allow the lug to slip neatly into the receiver. It is a very clever design and I haven't had any part of it fail on me yet...but then I am pretty kind to my gear.

Then from 1:50-2:10ish you see the way I "pack down" my Elinchrom softbox.I never remove the rods from the ring. Just 'unclip' the lug at the ring (again on opposing rods if possible, or one at a time if you don't have the strength in your fingers), then bring all the outer corners together and drop it in the carry case.

Edited on May 22, 2015 at 12:21 AM · View previous versions

May 22, 2015 at 12:19 AM
Inga
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · easily assembled octa for travel / location? (profoto)

Here's another:

May 22, 2015 at 12:20 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · easily assembled octa for travel / location? (profoto)

Hey Chris,

Thanks so much for the videos. I appreciate your help and examples.

Regards,

Chuck

May 22, 2015 at 07:09 AM
Sheldon N
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · easily assembled octa for travel / location? (profoto)

A little late to the party, but here's a quick video made a few years back of how I expand/collapse a 39" Deep Octa. Very quick and easy to do.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/sheldonnalos/media/DeepOcta.mp4.html

May 22, 2015 at 10:46 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · easily assembled octa for travel / location? (profoto)

Thanks so much, Sheldon.

May 22, 2015 at 11:19 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.