New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Nikon D300 for a Canon G12

jrachal
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon D300 for a Canon G12

I have a Canon G12 that I am thinking about selling or trading towards a Nikon D300. Is the D300 pic quality as good or better? Advantages/dis-advanges? Last DSLR I had was a Canon 1D mark ll. I liked it but was too bulky for everyday shots. I bought it when I was shooting my kids sports and was very good for that. I like the fact that the D300 has built in flash and I can add battery pack if I need to. The last Nikon I had was a film camera..F4S and it was a workhorse. I might keep the G12 and just add the Nikon D300. I'm looking for a low shutter count one in excellent condition.

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:05 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon D300 for a Canon G12

The D300 is old technology but still a relevant camera. There are a number of us who continue to use this camera despite its flaws. While I have a D800E and a D610, I also continue to use a pair of D300 (non-S) bodies... note, my wife and I both shoot and this is way we have four cameras.

For each of us, the D300 is our go to wildlife camera. The camera is more ruggedly built than my D800E, other than the D4s, the D300 has a faster frame rate than any current AF body, and has a robust and accurate AF system. With all of this, you must accept that the camera has quite a few limitations. I do not find the ISO to be acceptable to me beyond ISO 400. Furthermore, the base ISO is 200 rather than the base of 100 (or 64) found in the current cameras. In addition there is no movie mode and the live-view is not good when compared to the new crop of Nikon bodies.

While many will advise that you look for a D7000 in the same price range, I continue to believe that the D300 is the best bargain in a pro-build / pro-quality camera. If you are willing to deal with its limitations and want to get back into DSLR photography, I think that your move would be a positive one.
regards,
bruce

Apr 29, 2015 at 02:51 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon D300 for a Canon G12

Given the choice in the similar price range, I'd take a full frame original Canon 5D over the D300. Image quality is going to be a lot better. This coming from someone who recently sold a D300 (and G10!) to help fund a used D800e. I'm a previous 5D owner as well, and currently have the 5D Mark II and 1Ds Mark III in the Canon line.

Full frame!

Apr 29, 2015 at 03:11 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon D300 for a Canon G12

Or consider a D300s. Faster fps without the need for an add on ( and bulky) grip. Dual card slots are very nice. IQ is very good all the way up to 3200 in my experience and according to my clients. Unless you are planning on printing huge wall murals the D300/300s bodies are fine. 3D focus tracking is also great if you need it.

Apr 29, 2015 at 03:19 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon D300 for a Canon G12

One more thing, I've recently started to photograph the Milky Way. After some research I thought a full frame camera with higher native ISO was needed. Before I pulled the plug I dug out a backup D300 body and one of my 17-35 f/2.8 zooms. I'm getting great results shoot ISO 2500 raw files. And when I need something wider my old mf 16mm full frame fisheye is perfect.

Apr 29, 2015 at 03:42 PM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon D300 for a Canon G12

jrachal wrote:
I have a Canon G12 that I am thinking about selling or trading towards a Nikon D300. Is the D300 pic quality as good or better? Advantages/dis-advanges? Last DSLR I had was a Canon 1D mark ll. I liked it but was too bulky for everyday shots. I bought it when I was shooting my kids sports and was very good for that. I like the fact that the D300 has built in flash and I can add battery pack if I need to. The last Nikon I had was a film camera..F4S and it was a workhorse. I might
...Show more

The D300 is still a great camera. I have the s model which I use along side my D700. I'm guessing the PQ is better on the D300 over the G12 since it has a bigger sensor and more MP

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:58 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon D300 for a Canon G12

The D300/S can be had for hardly any money these days and as long as you're ok with 12MP, is still excellent. Comparing it to a G12 isn't really Apples to Apples since it's a P&S vs a pro-grade DSLR, so the D300 is overwhelmingly superior in every possible way except physical size and the fact it doesn't come with a lens. For ~$400, it's an easy pill to swallow if you go that route, and isn't likely to further depreciate anytime soon if you decide it was the wrong decision. If you like the convenience of a pocketable P&S camera, just hang onto the G12 as well. Grab the D300 "S" if you can find one, it has some very useful additions and sells for almost the same price as the D300.

If sensor quality is your #1 requirement, I would take a D7000 or or D5200 over a D300/S for the same price, however the rest of the D300 body is better in pretty well every other important area (AF, build, FPS, buffer, etc.) Since you mention that you might be using it for sports, and used the word "workhorse", I don't think you can do much better than a D300/S for $400ish.

Apr 30, 2015 at 02:51 PM
Wingspar
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon D300 for a Canon G12

I still own a D300 and my other half has the G12. The D300 blows the G12 out of the water. No comparison between the two. The G12 would be good to keep for a pocket camera when you don’t want to carry the weight of the D300.

Apr 30, 2015 at 03:00 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.