FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Website name dilemma

leethecam
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Website name dilemma

I have an existing website for my commercial work which has been running for many years: www.LeeChristiansen.co.uk

I'm putting together a new website to showcase just my wedding / bar mitzvah / parties work, (which is not shown on my existing site), and so the dilemma of a new site name arises.

If I were starting out, I'd choose the existing name but I need something new, something which reflects my name, and something which reflects all three of those areas.

Being blessed with a rather long surname doesn't help with adding words, and of course I can't just have "weddings" or "bar mitzvah" tagged on the end. I'd considered LeeChristiansenEvents, but that sounds cold and corporate.

Any thoughts?

Or - is there merit in having a web address that doesn't include my name?

(My video site is www.CameraAndSound.com and my headshot site is www.HeadshotPortraits.co.uk and there's no issue there - but weddings / parties are more personal and I wonder if there is a better connection by using my name in the site title?)

I'm guessing there are others who have separated their commercial and wedding /bar mitzvah / party work who have needed multiple web names...

Apr 29, 2015 at 02:34 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Website name dilemma

LeeWeddings

Apr 29, 2015 at 03:27 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Website name dilemma

leethecam wrote:
Any thoughts?

Mainly, don't over think it. Unless you call yourself ripoffweddingphotography, the name is not the make or break of your Business.

I'd go something simple like "your area " Weddingphotography. or your area Weddingsocialphotography.

It's going to target the area you want and the clients you want as well. Best not to be too creative, just make your name what the clients are going to search for and you'll be fine.

Apr 29, 2015 at 04:00 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Website name dilemma

Keep it simple. Long URL's are annoying. And for whatever reason photographers have this need to put their name on everything, even their URL. You can break that cycle!

Apr 29, 2015 at 06:34 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Website name dilemma

I think I may keep it very simple and still use my name.

I originally registered both www.LeeChristiansen.co.uk and www.LeeChristiansenPhotography.co.uk so I'll keep the former for my commercial work and use the latter for weddings / parties etc.

They are two quite separate client bases so hopefully no confusion. I may have a link to the commercial site from the wedding site just in case, but not the other way around.

I want to retain the name (wish it was shorter...) because that's how people remember me to friends / events planners.

Apr 29, 2015 at 08:58 AM
hendrikm
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Website name dilemma

ricardovaste wrote:
LeeWeddings

What about Wee Leddings?

Apr 29, 2015 at 02:50 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Website name dilemma

My fashion site is: lastnamephoto.com, you could try that to shorten it.

I think a name is far more professional, genuine and memorable. Even as a brit try and get .com too.

Apr 29, 2015 at 04:58 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Website name dilemma

I wouldn't rule out the use of initials as well. LC Photography, LC Photo, etc.

My initials are BS, so that doesn't sell too well. BJS are my full initials, which isn't any better.

Apr 30, 2015 at 10:32 AM
StevenMI
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Website name dilemma

Couldn't you also just keep your current site but have an option when you go there to enter the wedding/events area or the commercial area? Do you think you need to have two separate names?

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:03 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Website name dilemma

StevenMI wrote:
Couldn't you also just keep your current site but have an option when you go there to enter the wedding/events area or the commercial area? Do you think you need to have two separate names?

Weddings and events are often a real no no to show you do in the fashion and commerical world. It is often viewed as lesser work less photogs take to pay the bills because they can't get enough 'real' work. Not hating just stating etc.

Apr 30, 2015 at 04:10 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.