New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Finding dust spots

AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Finding dust spots

A while back someone raised the question, how do you find dust spots that aren't obvious?

Perhaps try this method:

#t=28

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:17 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Finding dust spots

Neat trick, but how on earth do you get back to the pre levels image afterward? Had he done this on a layer, it would have applied to the levels layer and not the background. For me, levels is a one way trip.

Apr 29, 2015 at 08:55 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Finding dust spots

Heck... I just wish I knew how to make a level.

I saw something similar to this once. I think they used LR and converted it to B&W then slammed a few sliders around and they popped right out. For the life of me I can't remember which adjustments they used though.

I personally like to check my lens using the oof f/22 pointed @ blue sky trick and clean my sensor if needed. Of course this doesn't solve the "after the shot" issue if those little critters are there, which this video explains.

Apr 29, 2015 at 09:25 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Finding dust spots

Any trick to add contrast will help to find them. I used to use autolevels when cleaning.

For formal spot removal, I would use it as a temporary way to locate them but then do the spot removal on the background layer (rather than the levels layer) using the spot healing brush tool. I think that is faster than the magic wand followed by content aware fill.

But this tutorial implies that there is a way to get back to the pre levels adjustment stage after doing the spotting and I want to know how this magic is accomplished so I can add it to my knowledge.

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:15 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Finding dust spots

You use a levels layer to FIND the spots, but you select the original layer to apply the fixes. Then you delete the levels layer. That leaves the original layer with it's corrections and no levels changes. You could duplicate the original layer before adding the levels layer and apply the fixes to that layer if you wish to preserve the original layer untouched.

Apr 29, 2015 at 05:25 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Finding dust spots

AuntiPode wrote:
You use a levels layer to FIND the spots, but you select the original layer to apply the fixes. Then you delete the levels layer. That leaves the original layer with it's corrections and no levels changes. You could duplicate the original layer before adding the levels layer and apply the fixes to that layer if you wish to preserve the original layer untouched.

Yes, that is what makes sense, work on a layer that has not been modified. It looked to me like he was working on the levels layer but I could have missed something. Anyway, I will be doing this in the future.

Apr 29, 2015 at 06:31 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Finding dust spots

I always duplicate the original layer before doing any work at all, leaving the original untouched (in case I need something from it later, or I ooops, too much down the road, etc.).

Ben, you do have to work on an image layer (background, duplicate, etc.) ... not the actual levels layer (or gamma, etc.)

Apr 29, 2015 at 06:34 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.