Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Victoria Beach | First outing with A7r

lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Victoria Beach | First outing with A7r

Good to hear you're out shooting again Scott! Congrats on the new gear.

#2 is fantastic. Very clean and simplistic.
At first I thought maybe if you had captured the sky of #1 in your #2 image it would have been better, but I think that would have hurt the simplistic vibe #2 has.

Great shots! Have fun with that new gear!

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:21 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Victoria Beach | First outing with A7r

Thank you all so much for the comments/feedback! GREATLY appreciated!

andrew perkins wrote:
Really liking the first one here. Glad to see you got the a7r!

I've also mistakenly opened the battery door and I'm still fumbling with controls but the files are sooo worth it!

Thank you Andrew! I actually misspoke(typed) [my brain and fingers often do not work well together] and meant the memory card compartment door. I do not like this placement/operation. BUT!, the advantages FAR out weight the other. My second outing (yesterday) It was less of an issue as I am aware of it. I am just used to grabbing onto the Canon grip and being able to swing the camera around when adjusting my composition. Now I have to be a little more delicate. Not necessarily a bad thing. Slowing down and really focusing on what I am doing is always beneficial. For example, last night I arrived 2 hours before sunset, scouted out a composition and waited for the light. Almost all my efforts and energy were spent on that one image. I did shoot a few after but my new goal is one photo. If I can walk away from a photo excursion with ONE photo I am happy with I call that a success.

---------------------------------------------

dswiger wrote:
Scott, nice use of the new tool!
Those are some nicely composed reflection shots & suits your style.
I need to use my A7R more often.
How do you like the Pentax 105?

Thanks for posting

Dan

Thank you Dan. I have not done much with that lens yet. I have had it for a while but rarely used it on my Canon gear. I will be using it more often now. The little bit I have used it I really like it. It has a different quality to it that I can't really explain. I got it for a really great price and glad I did.

Bob Altic wrote:
Welcome back to shooting Scott. I always looks forward to your new shots every time I log on. You are doing well with the new Sony. As for the TSE 24, I have one and it is a stellar lens. Can't imagine the kind of images a person of your talent can get with it!!! Thanks again for posting....Best, Bob

Thank you Bob! It is me dream lens but I am really enjoying these old film lenses. The TSE will just suit how I like to shoot the most plus its IQ is pretty tough to beat when you factor in perspective correction. I JUST pulled the trigger on a Zeiss 28/2.8 lens and am now looking for a Zeiss 85/2.8 so I think the 24 TSE will have to wait a little but it will be in my possession one day!

ChrisKayler wrote:
Hey bud! Great to see you having a camera again. I like the first shot the most, though I would like a teeny bit more room around the edges, particularly at the top. Maybe a step or two backwards and shifting the camera up a touch would have helped with that. Colors and detail of first look excellent, and I can't stop looking at the reflection of the sun and clouds. Beautiful.

Thank you Chris. It is great to be shooting again finally with some nice gear. Stepping back actually brings many ugly elements into the frame. I tried many small variations on camera position until I found the optimal one. Sometimes you're just limited to what Mother Nature gives us.

parsons wrote:
The lenses on my 5dmk2 are, 28mm 2.8 great lens. 35mm 2.8 ok but not in same league as 28, 50mm 1.7 in sanely sharp, if you can find one 85mm 2.8 is as good as the 50mm all in old Zeiss.
21mm 2.8 zuiko is also a great lens but harder to find and pricey. Butbworthy of the tag. Thats my main kit now when I use it !!

Yup. I am super stoked for my 28/2.8 coming in the mail early next week. Now on the look out for the 85. Will make a great 3 lens set. I agree about the 21mm. That will be a tough and pricey find but worth it from all the research I did on it a few years back. C'mon lotto ticket! lol

Gary Clennan wrote:
Scott - what are your initial observations working with the files from A7R compared to your Canon? Any benefits? Any challenges? Interested to hear your feedback.

Hey Gary, well, considering I came from a Canon 40D and 7D(a bloated 40D with new features IMHO) and a taped together 10-22 lens there really is no comparison to what I am shooting now. Like going from a 6cyl automatic to a super charged V8.

Apr 30, 2015 at 09:23 PM
danthebiker
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Victoria Beach | First outing with A7r

The first one and the third are absolutely fantastic. Congratulations on the new camera. I have admired your work on here for a long time and I am exited to see what you can do with this camera.

May 01, 2015 at 12:05 AM
Tuan Le
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Victoria Beach | First outing with A7r

Nice images Scott. That first one is my favorite followed by the second. Glad to hear you've got some gear to get you shooting again.

May 01, 2015 at 12:26 AM
angel manguel
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Victoria Beach | First outing with A7r

Lovely images Scott. I will take the last one as my fav. Did you consider waiting for the a7Rii to make its appearance in a month or so? I am in the market for a Sony and am playing the awaiting game. Wondering what your view is the newer versions of these Sony cameras.

Alan

May 01, 2015 at 02:41 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Victoria Beach | First outing with A7r

Thank you very much Dan, Tuan and Alan!

angel manguel wrote:
Lovely images Scott. I will take the last one as my fav. Did you consider waiting for the a7Rii to make its appearance in a month or so? I am in the market for a Sony and am playing the awaiting game. Wondering what your view is the newer versions of these Sony cameras.

Alan

I have't really considered the A7rII as it is expected to be a lot pricier than the A7r is now. If money was of no object I am sure I'd be getting one but to be honest, the A7r is filling my needs quite well. I still like to shoot large panoramas and a 50mp might mean I need to buy another computer . Maybe when everyone is dropping their A7r's for the A7rII I'll buy a second and have it converted to IR.

May 02, 2015 at 12:08 PM
WillMilne

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Victoria Beach | First outing with A7r

Hi

I'm a bit new here. Nice to see some familiar views of Lake Wpg. Victoria Beach is a great spot for an evening walk . Have you explored Balsam Bay Harbour off #59 ? if not it may be right up your alley for similar style of images

Will

May 02, 2015 at 09:36 PM
davidsyd

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Victoria Beach | First outing with A7r

Good series. The composition in the first photo is really good as well as the reflections.
I am also saving up for the Sony A7r to replace my DSLR full frame.

May 03, 2015 at 06:13 AM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Victoria Beach | First outing with A7r

WillMilne wrote:
Hi

I'm a bit new here. Nice to see some familiar views of Lake Wpg. Victoria Beach is a great spot for an evening walk . Have you explored Balsam Bay Harbour off #59 ? if not it may be right up your alley for similar style of images

Will

Thank you Will. I have never been there. Looks like I will have to check it out the next time I am heading that way!

davidsyd wrote:
Good series. The composition in the first photo is really good as well as the reflections.
I am also saving up for the Sony A7r to replace my DSLR full frame.

Thank you David. I made a much bigger step up from old crop bodies. So far I am loving this new set up!

May 04, 2015 at 01:44 PM
Ipanematom
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Victoria Beach | First outing with A7r

Nice shots. I like #1.

May 04, 2015 at 02:48 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Victoria Beach | First outing with A7r

Congrats on your new toy. Great set with #1 being my favorite.
harsha

May 06, 2015 at 11:28 AM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Victoria Beach | First outing with A7r

Thank you Ipanematom and Harsha! Got my new toy and too busy to get out and now when I am not busy, solid rain for 2 days. Not really complaining though as we desperately needed this rain.

May 07, 2015 at 02:42 PM
       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.