Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Mirrorless + Long Telephoto + Sunrise/Eclipse = ?

BlueBomberTurbo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mirrorless + Long Telephoto + Sunrise/Eclipse = ?

Just wondering how the sensor will handle shooting a long lens with the sun in the frame. I used to quickly flip back and forth in Live View to compose with a DSLR, keeping the sun off the sensor for any length of time, but that option doesn't exist in mirrorless world. Any experiences out there? I'd be using either a Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8 + 2.0x TC or a Tamron 500mm SP F/8 mirror lens, to give you an idea of the focal length.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:46 AM
hauxon
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mirrorless + Long Telephoto + Sunrise/Eclipse = ?

You will need a heavy ND filter anyways to see the outline of the eclipse and it will also protect your sensor too.

Edited on Apr 28, 2015 at 11:57 AM · View previous versions

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:56 AM
BlueBomberTurbo
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mirrorless + Long Telephoto + Sunrise/Eclipse = ?

Yup, have one of those that I shot the end of an eclipse with 2-3 years ago, though I think it's too small for the mirror lens. How bout just regular sunrises/sunsets?

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:57 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mirrorless + Long Telephoto + Sunrise/Eclipse = ?

Almost all mirrorless systems will stop down the lens when shooting normal sun exposures, until it's time to focus and expose the image. It's not unusual to see the blades close as far as they can during normal live view operations. They then open for focusing and to the selected aperture for exposure before stopping back down to cut light to the sensor.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:58 AM
hauxon
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mirrorless + Long Telephoto + Sunrise/Eclipse = ?

I suspect that pointing a telephoto for prolonged time into the sun will work as a magnifying glass and might overheat your sensor...

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:59 AM
hauxon
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mirrorless + Long Telephoto + Sunrise/Eclipse = ?

Here's a timelapse of a solar eclipse I did with the Fuji 50-140/2.8 and Lee Big stopper (10 stop).

Edited on Apr 28, 2015 at 12:06 PM · View previous versions

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:04 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mirrorless + Long Telephoto + Sunrise/Eclipse = ?

Jman13 wrote:
Almost all mirrorless systems will stop down the lens when shooting normal sun exposures, until it's time to focus and expose the image. It's not unusual to see the blades close as far as they can during normal live view operations. They then open for focusing and to the selected aperture for exposure before stopping back down to cut light to the sensor.

Hmmm, I tend to shoot into the sun a lot with my normal to wide lenses, and have never seen that happen on my A6000. My 70-200 is used on an LA-EA2 (A to E mount) adapter, though, where the aperture is always fully open until it closes down to take the shot, DSLR style. The 500mm is a fixed aperture lens, too.

hauxon wrote:
I suspect that pointing a telephoto for prolonged time into the sun will work as a magnifying glass and might overheat your sensor...

Yup, that's what I'm afraid of.

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:05 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mirrorless + Long Telephoto + Sunrise/Eclipse = ?

Huh....what do you know....Sony doesn't do it. I just took my a6000 out and sure enough, it doesn't stop down. My Fuji and Olympus cameras definitely do this, though. Strange that Sony does not.

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:26 PM
apsphoto
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mirrorless + Long Telephoto + Sunrise/Eclipse = ?

These people sell filters and they have them that screw on to the end of a lens or can be had in sizes large enough for just about anything. Works really well with long focal length.
http://www.thousandoaksoptical.com/solar.html

The sun will look yellow colored. Here is the setup with a canon 1dm4 and 100-400 at 400mm with a 1.4x extender
_DSF0803.jpg by APS-Photo, on Flickr

And here is an image during the eclipse using that kind of filter there was no problem with pointing at it for several hours.

_32E5920.jpg by APS-Photo, on Flickr

Alan

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:58 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mirrorless + Long Telephoto + Sunrise/Eclipse = ?

Sunrise and sunsets aren't very intense, relative to midday sun. I wouldn't worry about it for conventional usage.

People have been take tens of thousands of sunrises and sunsets, including long exposures and with long lenses with no issues.

On the other hand, I wouldn't go out at noon, point my 70-200 straight at the sun, and then forgot about the camera while I go eat lunch

Apr 29, 2015 at 02:39 PM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mirrorless + Long Telephoto + Sunrise/Eclipse = ?

Thanks for the link to Thousand Oaks.

Apr 30, 2015 at 06:33 AM
BlueBomberTurbo
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mirrorless + Long Telephoto + Sunrise/Eclipse = ?

Well, hasn't spontaneously combusted yet. Shot sunrise at the beach this morning. Was pretty foggy/misty, though.

May 04, 2015 at 07:36 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.