Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · I Feel Like a Rat: Sale and Betrayal of a Mighty 1 Series.

Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I Feel Like a Rat: Sale and Betrayal of a Mighty 1 Series.

Ramble....

I often don't carry my 5D Mark III around when I feel I should. A 40mm STM might help, but still, ya' know the ol' DSLR is hefty. But for now it is safe and looking svelte(ish) with the 85 f1.8 mounted. You know, I like the 85, but the MFD drives me mental - it would be infinitely more usable if the MFD were to be halved.

I have been yearning for a camera I can slip in a belt pouch, but that gives solid results. I have been eyeing the Ricoh GR (excellent work guys and gals) and watching the image threads for that and the A6000 (another contender), but in terms of purchasing I might wait and see what 2015 updates bring. Currently the A6000 is overpriced locally IMO and I am not interested in the 16-50 kit lens.

All this is leading toward a lighter, less bulky, travel-friendly, non-intimidating set up. The 70-200 f2.8L will remain in service for stage shoots on the 5D3, or perhaps a 6D subsidised by today's sale?

So in the spirit of weight loss, today I listed my 1D Mark III. Then I viewed images I have shot with it and definitely felt pangs of regret. But it was gone within hours - I price to sell - one of my students will buy it in two installments.

Further weight loss has occurred with my Lightroom catalog being driven below 1 terabyte as I am on holiday and free to cull. Archives and have been made on 1TB drives and they are now stored offsite.

Mirrorless? Is that you calling?

Apr 28, 2015 at 07:16 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I Feel Like a Rat: Sale and Betrayal of a Mighty 1 Series.

I use a Fujifilm X-E2 with XF 14/2.8 and 18-55 OIS, plus an EOS SL1 with 70-200/4L IS (and 1.4x III) for travel. I also use a Sony RX100 (which fits in a small belt pouch) and/or X100S when I want to travel even lighter.

OTOH, my 1D-series and 6D aren't going anywhere soon.

Apr 28, 2015 at 07:23 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I Feel Like a Rat: Sale and Betrayal of a Mighty 1 Series.

Aye, always said I'd never sell the 1D... alas.

Apr 28, 2015 at 07:24 AM
PatrickSweeney
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I Feel Like a Rat: Sale and Betrayal of a Mighty 1 Series.

Mirrorless? Why? Consider this; a Canon SL1.

Light, compact, and it will use the lenses you have.

It is no 1 Series, nor 5D-anything, but you can;t have what those did, and get the light, compact camera you are looking for.

Apr 28, 2015 at 09:49 AM
MaunaKea7007
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I Feel Like a Rat: Sale and Betrayal of a Mighty 1 Series.

Keeping my 1DsMk3's and 5dMk3's for the commercial assignments. I go out the door every day, however, with a Fuji x100T (first try at RF-like mirrorless when introduced in November -- if you don't count years shooting Leica M2.) I also got a Fuji X-E2 and a 35 and 18 off eBay inexpensively to add flexibility and explore this line further.

I am having so much fun with the quickness and quality.

For me the reduction in weight and size in a SL1 isn't enough to try that route. Further, the Fujis on my shoulder or up at my eye aren't as intimidating. I love the optical finder.

Looking forward to an XPro-2.

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:10 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I Feel Like a Rat: Sale and Betrayal of a Mighty 1 Series.

I convinced my daughter to get an RX10. 1.8 lbs with a Zeiss 24-200 2.8 lens. She loves it. If I traveled that would be a pretty tempting rig to me. I wish I had one when I was in Norway for two weeks.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:32 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I Feel Like a Rat: Sale and Betrayal of a Mighty 1 Series.

After 3 years with various mirrorless cameras I gave up on them and switched to a SL1 and 24 2.8 STM for my "light days." I find DSLR operation and handling faster and more ergonomic than mirrorless. I don't wear fannypacks/belt pouches but it looks like the SL1 would fit. Fits in my coat pocket on the rare occasions I need a coat. The only other lens I use on it is the 10-18 STM and it's a wee gem. For telephoto work I bring a larger camera as most of weight and bulk is the lens itself and the SL1 doesn't give me much to hang on to.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:56 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I Feel Like a Rat: Sale and Betrayal of a Mighty 1 Series.

I used an A7R along my 1DX in Asia for two weeks, and now that I'm done sorting thru the files (finally) I confirmed my conclusion that mirrorless isn't quite there for me, a conclusion I have gained halfway through the trip already. Sure, a lot of it can be attributed to the atrocious Sony UI, but for now mirrorless will remain a domain of my LX100 for amateur 4K video.

At the same time, I do understand that the 1DX is a brick that for me excels in a rainforest climate, or at my son's soccer game. Beyond that, I mostly use my 5D3 as the middle ground. I have found everything smaller than that to be insanely frustrating, either at time of capture (a7R, SL1) or at the time of processing (SL1, LX100). Fortunately other people are less snobs about IQ, DR of AF than me

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:44 PM
luminaire
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I Feel Like a Rat: Sale and Betrayal of a Mighty 1 Series.

As Dr Seuss said: don't be sad it's over; be glad it happened!

But it makes me happy that there are still homes to be found for 1D3 cameras!

Mine is so externally battered that it would make any prospective buyer run a mile, and trade-in value is probably in the double-figures, but it still goes CLACK every time and produces the images.

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:52 PM
VTXT
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I Feel Like a Rat: Sale and Betrayal of a Mighty 1 Series.

I'm a Nikon user but will be getting a used SL1 and the 10-18. I used to have a D700 and the Nikon 2.8 trinity but sold them all and now just have a D300 and a kit 18-55. I tried mirrorless before (Lumix G3) but didn't like anything about it. Tiny controls, terrible image quality (at least the G3 era sensors), there were just too many compromises. The SL1 with the kit 18-55 and 10-18 provides awesome image quality for significantly cheaper and similiar size and weight versus modern M43 cameras. SL1 is the perfect light kit that can supplement a full sized DSLR kit.

Apr 28, 2015 at 01:29 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I Feel Like a Rat: Sale and Betrayal of a Mighty 1 Series.

Problem with the SL route is the size of lenses. If you truly want to reduce bulk and weight, Mirrorless is the route. I have an X100 when
I really want to travel light. It has not dissapointed me.

Apr 28, 2015 at 04:09 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I Feel Like a Rat: Sale and Betrayal of a Mighty 1 Series.

I'd wait for the 24MP update of the SL1, grab the pancakes (and maybe the rumored 50/1.8 STM, if it ever materializes), and win.

Or grab an EOS-M3 from overseas with the 22/2.

Apr 28, 2015 at 05:25 PM
VTXT
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I Feel Like a Rat: Sale and Betrayal of a Mighty 1 Series.

chez wrote:
Problem with the SL route is the size of lenses. If you truly want to reduce bulk and weight, Mirrorless is the route. I have an X100 when
I really want to travel light. It has not dissapointed me.

You have to use the SL1 to your advantage. The SL1/18-55 is practically not any heavier than M43 bodies with the kit lenses, and it offers the advantage of more DOF control. And the 10-18 is really tiny for a DX lens, and while bigger than the Oly 9-18, it's significantly cheaper and has a wider FOV. It's a much better lens than the Oly 9-18. The next ultra wide in M43 you have to jump to the Panasonic 7-14 or the upcoming Olympus 7-14 pro for significantly more money, and those m43 lenses will actually be heavier than the Canon 10-18.

And when it comes to tele-zooms, M43s offerings that match the Canon 55-250 STM are not that great. M43 tele lenses take a drastic up swing in size and weight in the telezoom area and are no better than the Canon 55-250. Variable aperture telezoom is the current weak spot for M43.

An SL1 kit with the 10-18, 55-250, and the kit 18-55 and a pancake or two is a much better and SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper alternative to the M43. And you can mount regular EF lenses in a pinch if need be for added flexibility.

Apr 28, 2015 at 09:58 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I Feel Like a Rat: Sale and Betrayal of a Mighty 1 Series.

VTXT wrote:
You have to use the SL1 to your advantage. The SL1/18-55 is practically not any heavier than M43 bodies with the kit lenses, and it offers the advantage of more DOF control. And the 10-18 is really tiny for a DX lens, and while bigger than the Oly 9-18, it's significantly cheaper and has a wider FOV. It's a much better lens than the Oly 9-18. The next ultra wide in M43 you have to jump to the Panasonic 7-14 or the upcoming Olympus 7-14 pro for significantly more money, and those m43 lenses will actually be heavier than the
...Show more

You still need to carry the outfit in a bag. I carry my X100 in my jacket pocket. I cannot take then SL1 on my bike rides or cross country ski trips without excess bags.

Personally, if I'm going to carry around a bag with my gear, I'll take my Sony A7r with the 16-35 lens. Otherwise, I want a system camera that can be carried in my jacket pocket.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:33 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I Feel Like a Rat: Sale and Betrayal of a Mighty 1 Series.

Good posts and advice, thanks.

chez wrote:
Otherwise, I want a system camera that can be carried in my jacket pocket.

Indeed. I am going to have to be patient and see what new release come in 2015 as well as keeping an eye out for good buys on the used market.

As it was my student backed out of the deal for the 1D3 - teenagers! So it went back up for sale but was gone two hours later. Pretty stressful negotiating sales online in a (barely) second language.

Now comes patience and care in spending money wisely - and slowing down after making some purchasing and selling mistakes over the past year as I reconfigure my kit.

To be honest I miss the pace and methodology of working with my old Nikon FM's and fast primes.

I am a bit attached to fullframe and would like to complement the 5D3. It'll be interesting to see what an A7r update brings.

Apr 29, 2015 at 03:56 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · I Feel Like a Rat: Sale and Betrayal of a Mighty 1 Series.

Looks like it's time for you to go the Fuji route. I've now got a nice XPro1 kit with a handful of lenses. Love it. Still NOT selling my 1DsIII.

Apr 30, 2015 at 03:40 PM
Nate71LB
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · I Feel Like a Rat: Sale and Betrayal of a Mighty 1 Series.

I had an X-T1 for a while. The lenses and IQ are top notch. But the interface and AF were not to my liking. And I needed the grip to make it comfortable, which defeats some of the purpose.

Apr 30, 2015 at 04:59 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · I Feel Like a Rat: Sale and Betrayal of a Mighty 1 Series.

I tried the X-T1 as well. Great secondary camera, not a DSLR replacement. Harder to change settings on the fly. Also, really not built to the same standard as something like the 5DIII. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the Xtrans files. Good camera, albiet a bit overhyped IMO.

May 01, 2015 at 01:36 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · I Feel Like a Rat: Sale and Betrayal of a Mighty 1 Series.

Jeffrey wrote:
Looks like it's time for you to go the Fuji route. I've now got a nice XPro1 kit with a handful of lenses. Love it. Still NOT selling my 1DsIII.

What I'd like is a 16MP FF Rebel which is great in low light with 7fps, A7 style DR, and focus peaking for manual lenses.

Not ready for the 2x crop factor of M4/3 being invested in EF and Nikkor AI/AI-S glass.

May 01, 2015 at 01:51 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · I Feel Like a Rat: Sale and Betrayal of a Mighty 1 Series.

Paul Mo wrote:
What I'd like is a 16MP FF Rebel which is great in low light with 7fps, A7 style DR, and focus peaking for manual lenses. .

That's nearly what a 6D is.

I use a G1X as my pocket cam, it's still big-ish but the IQ is exceptional for a compact.

May 01, 2015 at 02:10 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.