New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · LR6 on Mac Pro

ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR6 on Mac Pro

I noticed Apple has refurbished Mac Pros for $2500 or so and they can be found used for a bit less... I've never been interested, but now that LR6 uses the GPU... Does that mean the Mac Pro is now the best Mac for LR6? Will LR6 use both GPU's?

Apr 28, 2015 at 01:38 AM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR6 on Mac Pro

So I did some research this morning and it looks the upgraded GPU in the retina iMac (M295X) generally outperforms the dual GPU's in the entry level Mac Pro. Definitely not first hand knowledge on my part, just basing this off of other reviews online.

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:13 PM
butchM
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR6 on Mac Pro

While the nMP, even the entry level models, pack some powerful hardware ... for still image processing, even some of the lower spec'd iMacs and MBP models can and do perform well for still image processing.

Where the nMP does excel over the iMacs and MBPs is when factoring throughput from multiple external drives for video editing and supporting multiple monitors (more than 2) when live editing 2k and 4k video.

For the price of the refurb nMP ... you could get a 5k iMac that should perform extremely well with still image processing.

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:24 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR6 on Mac Pro

I wish I had waited a little longer and bought the Retina iMac. Apple's 4K support for the new Mac Pro is awful. They have no monitors to offer themselves and the 3rd party ones all have some kind of issue, especially with sleep/wake. The forums are full of people having problems with 4K monitors.

It's not clear to me that Adobe is even using both GPU's in the 2013 Mac Pro as the OS doesn't even really support it. Nothing in LR tells you it sees two D700's. I like the quiet, compact hardware form but Apple has been woefully slow to optimize their OS for it.

I'm almost thinking that it makes a better Windows platform as at least then you would have drivers to fully take advantage of the hardware.

Apr 28, 2015 at 01:07 PM
AnnJS
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LR6 on Mac Pro

I bought a late 2013 Reconditioned MBP Retina directly from Apple and it has been totally trouble-free.

I am running it on OSX 10.10.3.

I am running Lr CC 2015 and ACR 9 on this machine using both GPU acceleration and Open GL and operations are extremely fast and crash-free.

I suggest keeping Face Recognition turned OFF — unless you cannot do without it, because it seems to slow everything else down.

Both Panos and HDR work very effectively from Lr but take twice as long as doing the same thing from Ps or Bridge-hosted ACR.

I have also Synched 20,000 images to the Cloud so I now have instant access to them on my iPad via Lr Mobile but don't have to clog my iPad with full-size RAW files.

Apr 28, 2015 at 01:59 PM
AnnJS
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LR6 on Mac Pro

Concerning large Retina screens:

You will need a GPU with 2GB VRAM to run Lr and ACR with Open GL on those monitors.

Windows user's with AMD Cards need to upgrade (or back-grade!) their AMD Driver to v.14.4. Both earlier and newer versions disable Open GL.

Edited on Apr 29, 2015 at 02:01 PM · View previous versions

Apr 28, 2015 at 02:07 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LR6 on Mac Pro

AnnJS wrote:
I bought a late 2013 Reconditioned MBP Retina directly from Apple and it has been totally trouble-free.

Just to be clear Ann .

are you Talking about the New Mac Pro nMP

or the MacBook Pro MBP

??

I believe the OP is talking about the New Mac Pro , Aka Darth Vader's Trash Can

Apr 28, 2015 at 04:28 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LR6 on Mac Pro

ggreene wrote:
I wish I had waited a little longer and bought the Retina iMac. Apple's 4K support for the new Mac Pro is awful. They have no monitors to offer themselves and the 3rd party ones all have some kind of issue, especially with sleep/wake. The forums are full of people having problems with 4K monitors.

I would imagine that if you wait just a bit longer (and have money to spend), we'll see a standalone version of the new Retina iMac's screen released. That's how they've gone about it in the past.

Apr 28, 2015 at 05:38 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LR6 on Mac Pro

Ian.Dobinson wrote:

It's easy to get confused. Folks create and throw around abbreviations like confetti.

Apr 28, 2015 at 05:51 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · LR6 on Mac Pro

ggreene wrote:

It's not clear to me that Adobe is even using both GPU's in the 2013 Mac Pro as the OS doesn't even really support it. Nothing in LR tells you it sees two D700's. I like the quiet, compact hardware form but Apple has been woefully
...Show more

Did you see a performance boost when you switched to LR6? My current iMac is not the retina, but I saw a definite boost when I switched to LR6.

Like I said, my theory was the Mac Pro would be the best LR6 machine with those dual FirePro cards, but apparently the 295x GPU (cost an extra $250) in the Retina iMac is faster than the two GPU's in the Mac Pro...

I'm just a guy who spends 3-8 hours a day in LR. So I'll buy whatever is fastest. Thinking about taking a wedding into the Apple Store and trying the Mac Pro

Apr 28, 2015 at 06:27 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · LR6 on Mac Pro

I don't see a huge boost in performance to be honest but I may not be using the processes that took advantage of the GPU. In another thread it was said that the GPU/CPU core optimizations only affected the development module. I still see performance issues in the Library module and that's with dual D700's and all LR files, photos, and catalogs on 1TB flash storage. I like LR but it is still not very optimized, at least on a 2013 Mac Pro. Perhaps on faster hardware it does better. Unfortunately, to meet the thermal/power requirements of the new form they had to restrict the performance.

I may try boot camp with Windows and see if it's any better. For one thing that would allow me to use BBPro which has no equivalent in the Mac world.

Apr 28, 2015 at 07:08 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · LR6 on Mac Pro

ggreene wrote:
I don't see a huge boost in performance to be honest but I may not be using the processes that took advantage of the GPU. In another thread it was said that the GPU/CPU core optimizations only affected the development module. I still see performance issues in the Library module and that's with dual D700's and all LR files, photos, and catalogs on 1TB flash storage. I like LR but it is still not very optimized, at least on a 2013 Mac Pro. Perhaps on faster hardware it does better. Unfortunately, to meet the thermal/power requirements of the new form
...Show more

Yeah the only place you should see improvement is the Develop Module

Apr 28, 2015 at 09:11 PM
AnnJS
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · LR6 on Mac Pro

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Just to be clear Ann .

are you Talking about the New Mac Pro nMP

or the MacBook Pro MBP

??

By MBP Retina I meant MacBook Pro Retina.

I have a Mac Pro Tower too but it is of the cheese-grater variety and runs a NEC 29" monitor.

Lr CC 2015 is fine on that too

Apr 29, 2015 at 02:53 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · LR6 on Mac Pro

AnnJS wrote:
Concerning large Retina screens:

You will need a GPU with 2GB VRAM to run Lr and ACR with Open GL on those monitors.

Windows user's with AMD monitors need to upgrade (or back-grade!) their AMD Driver to v.14.4. Both earlier and newer versions disable Open GL.

Anne ... you mean AMD based video cards.
AMD does not make monitors per say.
.....And no ... not everybody has to go to earlier drivers.

-Mark

Apr 29, 2015 at 01:19 PM
AnnJS
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · LR6 on Mac Pro

Thank you for noticing: Yes, I did mean Cards!

Can't imagine why I wrote "Monitors"!

Now fixed.

Apr 29, 2015 at 02:00 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.