FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Reflections

lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Reflections

I got up early and hit the road yesterday morning to go shoot a particular location I've been wanting to shoot in the early morning light. As I was driving I ran into large patches of thick fog and decided to take a different route in hopes to catch some good light along with the fog and calm winds on a different location that popped in my head at the last minute.

I think it paid off to make the change in plans.

I have never captured reflections this well before and it's now become a new mission when I shoot standing water scenes like this. When I arrived, the fog was clearing away in this area but I think there was enough to still give it the calm mood I was hoping to capture.

I can't wait until autumn to capture this in even more vibrant colors.

Thanks for looking and C&C is always welcomed.

Dave

Edit: These are 3 frame blended shots using the new LR6 HDR feature. So far I'm liking the results.

Table Rock

Table Rock Lake

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:07 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Reflections

Very peaceful scene. I am torn between the two for a preference. I think you have a nice blend here, I am also playing with the LR HDR.

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:25 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Reflections

Hi Dave,

Two nice scenes here indeed. Those are some cool reflections. A bit more fog would have been nice, maybe next time? But these do look really well, and the new LR HDR feature does seem to give a realistic look, so that's great for you LR guys.

Jim

Apr 27, 2015 at 01:06 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Reflections

ben egbert wrote:
Very peaceful scene. I am torn between the two for a preference. I think you have a nice blend here, I am also playing with the LR HDR.

Hi Ben! Thank you!
I'm struggling using LR6 on my old system especially after blending and making any further edits. I was hoping the new GPU usage would help speed it up but now I have more even more issues and it seems to be related to my CPU which means a complete new upgrade of everything.
---------------------------------------------

JimFox wrote:
Hi Dave,

Two nice scenes here indeed. Those are some cool reflections. A bit more fog would have been nice, maybe next time? But these do look really well, and the new LR HDR feature does seem to give a realistic look, so that's great for you LR guys.

Jim

Hi Jim! Thank you and I'm glad you enjoyed them. Fortunately I did catch some good light but I do wish the fog would have stuck around just another 10 minutes. It failed to hear me begging for it to stay as I was driving though. I'm sure there will be plenty more opportunities down the road. So long as I can get my lazy butt out of bed early enough.

Apr 27, 2015 at 02:41 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Reflections

Nice reflections.
How do you like working with the LR HDR? It certainly gave you a nice result here.
The only pain about HDR is the ghosting. Branches, leaves, flowers move, and it can turn out quite poorly.

David

Apr 27, 2015 at 03:02 PM
Ton Hung
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Reflections

very nice

Apr 27, 2015 at 03:13 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Reflections

nice reflections

Apr 27, 2015 at 06:30 PM
darbo
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Reflections

Beautiful work on these Dave! I love them both. The elements in #2 really appeal.

Apr 27, 2015 at 09:17 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Reflections

dgdg wrote:
Nice reflections.
How do you like working with the LR HDR? It certainly gave you a nice result here.
The only pain about HDR is the ghosting. Branches, leaves, flowers move, and it can turn out quite poorly.

David

On my current system is is extremely slow. My CPU is choking very badly and it takes about 2-3 minutes for LR to crunch together 3 frames from start to finish.
I'm looking around right now trying to figure out what mother board and CPU combo I need to buy to make LR6 happy. God knows I'm not.

But I will say I like the results and having a 16 bit DNG file to play with afterwards. It doesn't give you much control other than selecting various strengths of de-ghosting and I don't like using the "Autotone" feature as it doesn't look right to me. The nice thing about it if you do use it, it keeps the adjustments when it opens back up in LR and you can just grab the sliders to put them where you want.

I don't like the lack of being able to do a 1:1 zoom to look closely at the de-ghosting artifacts. To me this is important as I don't want to blend the images until I verify. But as it is, you have to blend them and hope for the best. Ghosting isn't an issue for distant objects but close foreground ghosting might be a problem. I haven't processed any with close moving objects yet so I can say for sure.

The lack of batch processing is kind of a bummer but I can live with that.

Thank you all for your complements!
It's very much appreciated and I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Apr 28, 2015 at 09:54 AM
Chaz
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Reflections

Beautiful pastoral scenes very nicely captured and processed. Big wall space needed.

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:46 AM
jbush
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Reflections

Really nice Dave! I think you did a beautiful job blending these. The light and color you achieved in these is perfect in my eyes. And the reflections are also beautiful. Well done!

Jon

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:50 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Reflections

Thank you Chaz and Jon! I appreciate your compliments.

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:17 AM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Reflections

Dave,
Both are very nice, cannot pick a favorite. Colors came out very naturally. Love the thin layer of fog above water.

Sasha.

Apr 30, 2015 at 02:07 AM
ChrisKayler
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Reflections

I would have never guessed this was an HDR. I might have to do some experiments with that feature myself! Really like #1 ... the symmetry of the composition is wonderful and the bit of fog visible on the distant bit of land provides a really nice depth. I love the quality of the light as well. Beautiful!

Apr 30, 2015 at 10:39 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Reflections

Thank you Sasha and Chris!

As I usually do, I tried to use my standard exposure to process in LR but it just didn't have enough DR without causing problems, almost but not quite enough. So I grabbed all 3 shots and went very gentle with the blend to just pull down and up enough to make my eyes happy.

Glad you enjoyed them!

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:30 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Reflections

A little diff vibe in each.

My pref is #2 ... my gut response was "That's nice."

May 01, 2015 at 09:02 PM
lionking
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Reflections

Hey Dave!

Both are very good, give you this peaceful feeling, good work, looks like LR HDR does pretty good...
Imho the second is little stronger.

Andrey

May 02, 2015 at 12:58 PM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Reflections

Hey Dave - definitely like the 2nd one. Might be lovely as well with a closer crop around to eliminate the bush in the bottom right and focus on the dock/fog more.

Nice work on both!

May 02, 2015 at 04:46 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Reflections

Thank you Kent, Andrey and John for your kind complements! I'm glad you enjoyed them.

John - It's funny you suggested that because I had also played around with a slightly tighter shot while I was there that morning for the very reason you mentioned about bush in the foreground.

There is just something about the wider image that appeals to me. The overall balance "feels" better to me in the wider composition.

I shot the below image that morning as well. It does have a more intimate mood and has a completely different feel than the other wider shot does. I did loose the full reflection inside the cove but it does deliver the message of the morning fog a little stronger.

May 04, 2015 at 03:49 PM
Davenhill
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Reflections

These are excellent, and the sharp reflections are stunning. Well done and thank you very much for sharing

May 10, 2015 at 06:09 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.