Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Canyonlands Sunset

rparchen
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canyonlands Sunset

Congratulations to rparchen for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 14 votes - View Previous Winners

I don't always take selfies but when I do, I make it count. And I can't really think of a better place than False Kiva, the man-made stone circle tucked inside of a cave with still unknown origins, located in a remote section of Canyonlands National Park in southern Utah. I just got back from spending 2,600 miles though the best Southwest desert scenery that our country can muster up and I always leave wanting more. Enjoy!

Nerdy tech details:
Camera: Sony ILCE-7r
Lens: Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 ZE
Sky: 1/160, F/8, ISO 100
Foreground: 1/3, F/13, ISO 100
LR5 -> CS6, no filters, manually blended

Apr 26, 2015 at 06:04 PM
JR Photo
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canyonlands Sunset

What a magical shot. The selie is great. The only thing that I could say to have improve it is a tripod/camera across your shoulder.

I have to get down there soon, and before it gets too warm.

Print large, place on a very viewable wall and enjoy. I do envy in a good way you miles.

J. R.

Edited on Apr 26, 2015 at 06:12 PM · View previous versions

Apr 26, 2015 at 06:10 PM
jbush
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canyonlands Sunset

Wow...this has some punch! Beautiful image and a breathtakingly vast landscape you're looking out at. For some reason the caption "Now where did I park my car?" came to me...

Jon

Apr 26, 2015 at 06:10 PM
luigi645
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canyonlands Sunset

Stunning...great work!

Apr 26, 2015 at 06:40 PM
BoneCounter
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canyonlands Sunset

Shocking! Very nicely done.

Apr 26, 2015 at 06:46 PM
quickking
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canyonlands Sunset

Great concept and nicely executed.

Apr 26, 2015 at 07:31 PM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canyonlands Sunset

Rick,

I'm a huge fan of your work. Your nightscapes for me are amongst the tops. I have to be honest, this particular image, I feel is a bit heavy handed. I know you have that bold and punchy approach to your landscape shots but I feel this one seems a bit too crunchy for me. But you are the artists so its your vision. Just my 2 cents

Jason

Apr 26, 2015 at 08:21 PM
rparchen
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canyonlands Sunset

roguecoolman wrote:
Rick,

I'm a huge fan of your work. Your nightscapes for me are amongst the tops. I have to be honest, this particular image, I feel is a bit heavy handed. I know you have that bold and punchy approach to your landscape shots but I feel this one seems a bit too crunchy for me. But you are the artists so its your vision. Just my 2 cents

Jason

I appreciate the candid feedback Jason! I can see what you mean though and I took down some of the highlights in the foreground. I kept going back and forth between keeping this dark(ish) or brightening it up a bit. It's easy to stare and work something long enough to easily go overboard so I took it down a quick notch on my facebook version. Again, I appreciate the feedback!

Thanks all for the comments as well!

Apr 27, 2015 at 10:47 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canyonlands Sunset

Hey Rick,

What a very cool shot of False Kiva, you had a great sky to work with also on this. I have gotten a bit jaded with everyone seemingly taking selfies with headlamps on, but yours seems to work fine. Though I think ultimately, I would like the scene without a human in it, but again I recognize I have been jaded a bit over the last year or so with these selfies.

Jim

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:58 PM
rparchen
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canyonlands Sunset

JimFox wrote:
Hey Rick,

What a very cool shot of False Kiva, you had a great sky to work with also on this. I have gotten a bit jaded with everyone seemingly taking selfies with headlamps on, but yours seems to work fine. Though I think ultimately, I would like the scene without a human in it, but again I recognize I have been jaded a bit over the last year or so with these selfies.

Jim

Appreciate the feedback Jim! I have a version without me in the shot as well but just couldn't resist giving this place some scale. One of my friends saw my older pics from here and asked if it was a fire pit so I had to prove him wrong, lol.

Apr 27, 2015 at 02:05 PM
chasphoto2015
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canyonlands Sunset

Unbelievable shot ! Love the million shades of earth tones. This should be a award winning photo !!!

Apr 27, 2015 at 02:59 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canyonlands Sunset

AWESOME!

Apr 28, 2015 at 06:46 PM
rxgolf
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canyonlands Sunset

What a great shot!!
It all works for my eyes.
Super work,
Greg

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:02 PM
WiseTioga
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canyonlands Sunset

I'm with Jim Fox on this, don't like humans in my landscape shots. Otherwise a terrific shot. Please post the one without you in it.

Apr 29, 2015 at 01:33 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canyonlands Sunset

Dang, how did I miss this one.

Very nice image. Talk about drama! Holy crap did you nail that here.

Normally I also try to avoid humans in landscapes as well but for your intended purpose and message I think you delivered it here very well. Nice job!

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:24 AM
Ipanematom
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canyonlands Sunset

This is absolutely gorgeous and inspiring! Congratulations on a magnificent composition!

Apr 30, 2015 at 09:02 PM
Harold Carlson
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canyonlands Sunset

I kind of feel like this could be a movie poster. It has that adventure type feel to it.

May 03, 2015 at 07:51 PM
Tyr-Sog
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canyonlands Sunset

great!

May 09, 2015 at 02:20 PM
TexSchneider
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canyonlands Sunset

Awesome False Kiva shot!

Best selfie ever!

Tex

May 09, 2015 at 08:41 PM
rparchen
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canyonlands Sunset

Wow guys! There are so many good images posted that it's quite an honor to have one selected to be featured. I appreciate the support!

May 11, 2015 at 09:22 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.