FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Copycat

conebeam
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Copycat

Copycat... that's me. Trying to copy what Eric gets. His cat pictures are masterpieces, mine are learning attempts.

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

http://orofacial.com/Photos/leopard3.jpg

http://orofacial.com/Photos/leopard.jpg

Apr 26, 2015 at 09:36 AM
DonGut
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Copycat

#1 is a couple blades of grass away from being a super shot! Well done indeed!
Don

Apr 26, 2015 at 09:46 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Copycat

Agree with Don...you can't control what these guys decide to sit behind...believe me, I've got hard drives full of "missed it by that much".....but the fact you've seen and photographed a leopard in the wild is fantastic...those shots and memories are never forgotten. Very well done and when it's time to go back make sure your guide knows what you want to see and be willing to spend some time (hours if need be and risk missing seeing other stuff) with a particular animal...once they become accustomed to your presence the opportunities become limitless....one of the keys is not getting within their flight or fight distance...if they want to come to you that's awesome but giving them space allows them to behave naturally and the shots you get then are the very special ones. Some guides push too close or in those areas that don't restrict the number of vehicles around sightings the photo ops aren't nearly as good.
Eric

Apr 26, 2015 at 09:56 AM
conebeam
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Copycat

DonGut wrote:
#1 is a couple blades of grass away from being a super shot! Well done indeed!
Don

Don,

Thanks. You know the feeling, like reaching out and moving the grass away or asking the cat to sit up straight.

Apr 26, 2015 at 03:06 PM
conebeam
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Copycat

eyelaser wrote:
Agree with Don...you can't control what these guys decide to sit behind...believe me, I've got hard drives full of "missed it by that much".....but the fact you've seen and photographed a leopard in the wild is fantastic...those shots and memories are never forgotten. Very well done and when it's time to go back make sure your guide knows what you want to see and be willing to spend some time (hours if need be and risk missing seeing other stuff) with a particular animal...once they become accustomed to your presence the opportunities become limitless....one of the keys is not getting
...Show more

Eric,

Thanks for the valuable advise. As you know this was my first trip, without my family. I was in a vehicle with two other couples. Each had their own priorities. One person had an iPhone only for photography, and was quite happy with what she was getting. Next time, I plan to travel with my family, who will be willing (hopefully) spend as much time with one animal as we want. I think the guide was more interest this time to make sure we can check off all big fives. The guide was good, but he wanted to make everyone happy. I had only three days, and only one part of Kruger. Next time, it has to be longer and a few countries. Seeing your Smugmug pages, I know very well the African fever. If you go there once, you have to keep on going again and again.

--Mansur

Apr 26, 2015 at 03:15 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Copycat

I don't agree about the grass. It actually helps the image. The major issue is about 2/3 of a stop underexposure which can be corrected with the levels tool in Photoshop. Then simply add a little vibrance and a tiny touch of saturation and teses photo will want frames for you wall.

Morris

Apr 26, 2015 at 04:03 PM
conebeam
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Copycat

morris wrote:
I don't agree about the grass. It actually helps the image. The major issue is about 2/3 of a stop underexposure which can be corrected with the levels tool in Photoshop. Then simply add a little vibrance and a tiny touch of saturation and teses photo will want frames for you wall.

Morris

Hello Morris,

Thanks so much for your guidance. Does this one look better than the first post? I tried to do what you recommended, and then tweaked the green channels a little bit.

As you realize, I am novice. And try to learn from all of your expertise. Your this input was really helpful.

I see so many great pictures in this forum. Many times I know which is a great picture. But more often, I do not know why a picture is so eye pleasing. That is the reason I try to read the comments carefully, so that I can learn from your pearls.

Best regards,

--Mansur

http://orofacial.com/Photos/leopard3a.jpg

Apr 26, 2015 at 04:55 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Copycat

yes this is much better Mansur.

Morris

Apr 26, 2015 at 08:19 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Copycat

Very nice shots. I actually don't mind the blades of grass. Like your redo.

Birdie

Apr 26, 2015 at 08:23 PM
conebeam
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Copycat

morris wrote:
yes this is much better Mansur.

Morris

Morris,

Thanks so much. Sincere appreciation.
---------------------------------------------

birdied wrote:
Very nice shots. I actually don't mind the blades of grass. Like your redo.

Birdie

Thanks for the comment. Glad that you liked it.

Apr 26, 2015 at 08:49 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Copycat

The redo is much better Mansur, and 2 is also very nice. Try to keep your subjects off center. Usually it's much better to have more space on the like they are looking towards - even if it's just a slight head turn. Try moving the leopard a little to the right in the frame to see if you like it ~ Ron

Apr 27, 2015 at 07:23 AM
conebeam
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Copycat

surfnron wrote:
The redo is much better Mansur, and 2 is also very nice. Try to keep your subjects off center. Usually it's much better to have more space on the like they are looking towards - even if it's just a slight head turn. Try moving the leopard a little to the right in the frame to see if you like it ~ Ron

Hello Ron,

Thanks for the tip that you gave this morning. The picture was in my home computer. So I had to wait to come back from work.

How is this one? This is the furthest that I could crop.

http://orofacial.com/Photos/leopard5.jpg

Also another one, tweaking based on your and Morris's guidance.

http://orofacial.com/Photos/leopard6.jpg

Best regards,

--Mansur

Apr 27, 2015 at 10:26 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Copycat

I like these, but to fine tune the first, just a little more to the left in the frame. Try halfway between the first and the redo.

Comp does follow some rules loosely, but it is a matter of feel developed by looking at many photos over time, and by experimenting with your own shots. You will eventually get to the point where you can look at a photo and just know what needs to be done. Google "rule of thirds", but remember that you shouldn't follow the rule slavishly ~ Ron

Apr 28, 2015 at 07:09 AM
conebeam
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Copycat

Ron,

Great instructions. Thanks. Will do that. I will not bug you with another post of the corrected image.

--Mansur

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:15 AM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Copycat

Good stuff Mansur, well done with these.
David

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:52 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.