New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · EN-EL15 won't fully charge

Weasel_Loader
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · EN-EL15 won't fully charge

Purchased a refurbished D810 and a brand new OEM EN-EL15 battery. Both batteries will not fully charge. I put them on the charger when depleted and light flashes for an hour or little more, then turns solid orange telling me its done charging. Put battery in camera and only shows about 70%. Even after leaving all night, I cannot get either batteries fully charged. Pretty odd that both batteries giving same result, when one is brand new (purchased through B&H), while other came with camera.

Any ideas before I try a return on the new one to B&H?

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:34 AM
Keith B.
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · EN-EL15 won't fully charge

The odds of getting two bad batteries with exactly the same disease are low. What about the charger? Can you try a different one? At worst you could buy a new charger(with return privileges, of course), and if the one the came with the camera is NG, make B&H replace it.
PS: Do we know that the camera is reading the battery strength correctly?
While at the camera store buying the charger, you could put your 70% battery into one of their Nikons.

Apr 26, 2015 at 01:08 AM
Neddie Seagoon
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · EN-EL15 won't fully charge

Or put a voltmeter on them to check the actual charge instead of relying on the camera to tell you. A fully charged EN-EL15 should read about 8.2 to 8.4 volts.

Apr 26, 2015 at 01:29 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · EN-EL15 won't fully charge

Probably the charger. I'd keep what you got and get this:
http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-Charger-EN-EL15/dp/B009DJ1THW
Brought life back to 3 OEM batts I had that were 4 yrs old. The Wasabi batts are great,
been using them in the grips of my D810/800/600/7K...can never have too many.

Apr 26, 2015 at 05:30 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · EN-EL15 won't fully charge

I'd be suspect of the charger first also. You might want to look into a charger that can full discharge a battery before it recharges it. Do any of your friends or members of a local camera club have a charger for that battery.

Apr 26, 2015 at 06:03 AM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · EN-EL15 won't fully charge

What does "battery info" under setup menu tell you? Specifically, what does it say your "battery age" is?

Also, just to cover all bases , try plugging the charger into another outlet.

Apr 26, 2015 at 08:23 AM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · EN-EL15 won't fully charge

I'll try a few different ideas expressed here.

- Voltmeter on the batteries
- Wasabi charger (could use another charger/batteries)

I have tried the charger in a few different outlets with same results.

Apr 26, 2015 at 08:37 AM
Neddie Seagoon
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · EN-EL15 won't fully charge

DaveOls wrote:
I'd be suspect of the charger first also. You might want to look into a charger that can full discharge a battery before it recharges it. Do any of your friends or members of a local camera club have a charger for that battery.

There is no advantage to fully discharging a Li battery. You are better off keeping lithium batteries fully charged. It was necessary to fully discharge NiCad batteries or they would loose capacity. Nobody uses NiCads anymore. Just remember to fully recharge your batteries as soon after each shoot as possible and they'll last for years.

Apr 26, 2015 at 05:58 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · EN-EL15 won't fully charge

You are better off keeping lithium batteries fully charged. Just remember to fully recharge your batteries as soon after each shoot as possible and they'll last for years.
Gotta disagree with this advice. I have several 8 yr old EN-EL4's that still hold a full charge.
MY care and feeding? Don't run 'em completely down/charge just BEFORE intended use.

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:36 AM
mfrank999
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · EN-EL15 won't fully charge

Hey Will,
I assume besides in the grip the wasabi battery also works as main battery in camera.
If so that is a great deal and I will order them.

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:25 PM
barisaxer
• • •
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · EN-EL15 won't fully charge

I had similar problems and it was a bad charger.

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:33 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · EN-EL15 won't fully charge

mfrank999 wrote:
Hey Will,
I assume besides in the grip the wasabi battery also works as main battery in camera.
If so that is a great deal and I will order them.

That's correct, Marty

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:45 PM
Neddie Seagoon
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · EN-EL15 won't fully charge

trenchmonkey wrote:
Gotta disagree with this advice. I have several 8 yr old EN-EL4's that still hold a full charge.
MY care and feeding? Don't run 'em completely down/charge just BEFORE intended use.

I think we're actually in agreement here. The key is to not leave them in a fully discharged state, which it sounds like what we are both doing. I've also got some old EN-EL4's that still hold a full charge. Cheers.

Apr 27, 2015 at 01:03 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.