New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Before I print

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Before I print

Looking back to 2009, April this month, I found this pic. I like the drama of it.
Before I print, I would like you critics and input.
Thanks ahead.

Apr 25, 2015 at 01:04 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Before I print

or this one

Apr 25, 2015 at 01:09 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Before I print

there is more dramatic vs more real (what you saw that day that made you shoot it) your choice.

Apr 25, 2015 at 01:12 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Before I print

sjms wrote:
there is more dramatic vs more real (what you saw that day that made you shoot it) your choice.

right, my choice.
How do you like my pp? only youe opinion of course

Apr 25, 2015 at 01:32 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Before I print

my choice is the first one as it looks more natuaral. just a wee bit too "golden hourish" for me on the second. for has too many additional colors in it.

have you done your due diligence 8x10 proof print?

Apr 25, 2015 at 02:23 PM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Before I print

I prefer the 1st one but I'd definitely look at brightening the shadows only a bit

Apr 25, 2015 at 02:30 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Before I print

I like something between the first and second. A little too much lightening in the second example, IMO. Try just bringing up the shadows and tightening the levels (peak of each color RGB should begin and end with no 'dead space') to enhance contrast. Do this and then change the level adjustment to just the Luminosity channel. It will make a beautiful print when you get done with your PP.

Apr 25, 2015 at 02:32 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Before I print

let the shadows be shadows

Apr 25, 2015 at 04:29 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Before I print

First one.

Apr 25, 2015 at 06:29 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Before I print

First one for me. Like the other post said, just open up the shadows just slightly.

Apr 26, 2015 at 07:40 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Before I print

If it were mine, I might consider a bit of a crop on the left. The snow covered slope to the left of El Cap in your crop is on an edge and just about the brightest thing in the composition, thus it tend to distract me from what I think are the more important elements of your scene, all of which lie to the right. Also, this slope is the highest thing on the left side, higher than El Cap. My crop would ensure that it isn't.

As you to your two versions, my preference is to tend toward lightening things up for a print, since prints can seem darker than screen images. However, I feel like the second version goes a bit too far perhaps, especially on the Valley floor, which seems ab it unnaturally bright for me and on Sentinel Rocks above Bridal Veil Fall, where the snow gets so bright that it loses detail. It seems like perhaps you just brightened the whole thing? If so, you might consider using masks or the equivalent to bring up some of the areas that are most important and leave some of the darker areas as is.

To my eye, the brighter version also reveals some color casts, especially in the Valley where the fog is — it seems too "warm" in color and has unnatural green and yellow tonality. Again, perhaps the global adjustment is getting you into trouble and localizing the adjustments might help. In Photoshop, I might use a curve layer to selectively lighten portions of the fog, but not the non-fog areas, and I would perhaps set the curve to "luminosity" rather than "normal" to avoid some of the color shifts. I would also allow the shadow areas to remain a bit blue rather than trying to push them toward non-shade tonality.

Good luck,

Dan

Apr 26, 2015 at 09:11 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Before I print

I sure appreciate all of your critics and suggestions. Thanks.
I will be in Yosemite today. Let's see what I can catch other than the dogwoods. hoping for a good sunset.

Apr 26, 2015 at 10:45 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Before I print

I too like the first. I see a greenish color cast on the mountain in sunlight on the right. I'd personally look to correct that color cast, but otherwise looks good, given the small size of the web reduction.

Apr 29, 2015 at 08:58 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.