New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Leica -> Canon Adapter

beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica -> Canon Adapter

Hello all,

Not sure if this post should live in the Canon section (Canon body) or Alt section (Leica lens), so I'll just crosspost and let the replies dictate the proper location.

I just picked up a Lecia Elmarit R 135mm f/2.8 and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on the best adapter to use on Canon bodies. I've never really played around with the non-standard gear so I'm pretty clueless.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

Apr 24, 2015 at 01:07 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica -> Canon Adapter

Not sure it's going to be that big a deal at 135mm. I'd probably just get one off eBay. Might not be the best idea, but that's probably what I'd do.

With uwa in the corners I'd be more concerned, but at 135mm the corners are likely to be oof anyway. ?.

Apr 24, 2015 at 01:34 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica -> Canon Adapter

AmbientMike wrote:
Not sure it's going to be that big a deal at 135mm. I'd probably just get one off eBay. Might not be the best idea, but that's probably what I'd do.

With uwa in the corners I'd be more concerned, but at 135mm the corners are likely to be oof anyway. ?.

Yeah I don't foresee any issues when it comes to mirror clearance at 135, but I didn't know if all adapters were created equal or if I'll have a better experience with a specific brand over another.

Thanks for the reply!

Jeff

Apr 24, 2015 at 01:58 PM
Bacalhau
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica -> Canon Adapter

The Alt section will have more info (and probably replies if you do a search there followed by a more specific question.
here's another site:
http://forum.mflenses.com/
and if you search with Google with the right key words, there is a ton of information.... to dig in, in order to find the correct one.
Anyway, one the best leica to canon EF adapter's maker is Leitax. Novoflex seems to be pretty good according to reviews, and then it's all way down in price....and quality. You can find adapters on EBay on the cheap, for a quick trial, but they might bring you a lot of issues, mostly with infinity focus.
I been across a website that details clearly which old lenses (leica included) can fit on a canon DSLR, but can't recall the name - CAN be found, as it was not too long ago

Apr 24, 2015 at 02:22 PM
johnahill
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica -> Canon Adapter

If you want to use one adapter per lens then my preference would be a leitax adapter which is screwed onto the lens.

Other than that there's novoflex which is about the best engineered removable adapter followed by Rayqual and then fotodiox pro

Apr 24, 2015 at 02:25 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica -> Canon Adapter

Bacalhau wrote:
The Alt section will have more info (and probably replies if you do a search there followed by a more specific question.
here's another site:
http://forum.mflenses.com/
and if you search with Google with the right key words, there is a ton of information.... to dig in, in order to find the correct one.
Anyway, one the best leica to canon EF adapter's maker is Leitax. Novoflex seems to be pretty good according to reviews, and then it's all way down in price....and quality. You can find adapters on EBay on the cheap, for a quick trial, but they might bring you a lot of
...Show more

Thanks! I did infact find the site that I think that you're referring to, but they only seemed to go into the generalities and not any specific brands.

I think I'll try a FotodioX to see how things work and go from there - it seems to guarantee infinity focusing.

CMcG01
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leica -> Canon Adapter

I'd try some cheaper ebay adapters first to know you like working with full manual, but here's one to consider: http://www.leitax.com/Leica-lens-for-Canon-cameras.html

Far from the cheapest, but probably the best. I got these for my 3 Contax Zeiss lenses. You remove the mount screws and place this over the original mount and use his longer screws. Its secure and forever after works like a Canon mount. Its totally reversible, as well.

I went this way after getting tired of swapping mounts and having to be so careful with my 85 1.4 making sure it would not fall off the body-- I had several close calls and never wanted to use it until I got the Leitax.

beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leica -> Canon Adapter

johnahill wrote:
If you want to use one adapter per lens then my preference would be a leitax adapter which is screwed onto the lens.

Other than that there's novoflex which is about the best engineered removable adapter followed by Rayqual and then fotodiox pro

Great - reading up on the Leitax now!

---------------------------------------------

CMcG01 wrote:
I'd try some cheaper ebay adapters first to know you like working with full manual, but here's one to consider: http://www.leitax.com/Leica-lens-for-Canon-cameras.html

Far from the cheapest, but probably the best. I got these for my 3 Contax Zeiss lenses. You remove the mount screws and place this over the original mount and use his longer screws. Its secure and forever after works like a Canon mount. Its totally reversible, as well.

I went this way after getting tired of swapping mounts and having to be so careful with my 85 1.4 making sure it would not fall off the body-- I had
...Show more

Rock on - it seems like going with the cheapo Fotodiox to see how things go and then possibly upgrading down the road is the best option.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Jeff

Apr 24, 2015 at 02:30 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Leica -> Canon Adapter

Rayqual, for the win. Dead on infinity, no slop. Easy on, easy off.

Novoflex, as a second.

Apr 24, 2015 at 02:55 PM
shirozina
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Leica -> Canon Adapter

beavens wrote:
Hello all,

Not sure if this post should live in the Canon section (Canon body) or Alt section (Leica lens), so I'll just crosspost and let the replies dictate the proper location.

I just picked up a Lecia Elmarit R 135mm f/2.8 and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on the best adapter to use on Canon bodies. I've never really played around with the non-standard gear so I'm pretty clueless.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

The Elmarit is a very good lens - probably the best 135 you can get for sensible money ( and silly money) It's only ' flaw' is it's very heavy but cheap eBay adopters are mostly fine. The lens is pretty easy to adjust to set the infinity stop if it overshoots or undershoots infinity. I have a several leitax adapters but I have gone off them.

Apr 24, 2015 at 03:24 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Leica -> Canon Adapter

Leitax.

Apr 24, 2015 at 07:20 PM
Gerry Szarek
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Leica -> Canon Adapter

Www.cameraquest.com

Apr 24, 2015 at 07:45 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Leica -> Canon Adapter

Guaranteed infinity usually means the adapter is too thin, and focus will be past infinity.
I have an R to EOS adapter that was too thick, that is a pain in the butt.

Apr 24, 2015 at 08:00 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.