Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Quick Lighting Help for Corperate Headshots (LED constant lights)

Invertalon
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Quick Lighting Help for Corperate Headshots (LED constant lights)

Hello everyone,

Need some quick help... The company I work at is interested in doing headshots relatively soon, along with some product photography. They gave me the OK to purchase lighting equipment, backdrop, etc...

I just need help with one thing... I am looking at constant LED lighting:

http://www.adorama.com/FPLCL500RK1.html

or

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/909230-REG/genaray_2_light_kit.html

Now some of these come daylight color balanced, others tungsten balanced. Which would be better for using indoors in a closed off room with overhead fluorescents? Lighting in the room is quite good as is, so I don't believe I will not strobes/flash, plus, they want to be able to use them to do product stuff later on and I figure they would be more versatile.

I will be using my 5D3 with 85L most likely, as a reference.

They want to make the purchase today in the next few hours. Thanks!!

Apr 24, 2015 at 10:16 AM
MNPNW
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Quick Lighting Help for Corperate Headshots (LED constant lights)

LED still lack CRI unless you get the very best expensive ones.

Apr 24, 2015 at 08:38 PM
J.D.
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Quick Lighting Help for Corperate Headshots (LED constant lights)

Okay, I have never used these lights but have loads of experience with LED panels. Your best bet is to go with a custom white balance or shoot a pic with a piece of white paper and batch correct in ACR. Don't bother with $50 white balance cards. If you really must have one, get the Porta-Brace one from B&H for $5.21.

Try to turn the flouros off if you can. If you can't then try to over power them by getting the panels in close. Fluoros used to be about 4500º K but most of the ones I have come across in office situations have been roughly tungsten temp.

That said, I think daylight is better. Just MHO.

What is your budget? If it's over say $1500, you can get a pair of 400W monolights and a couple of softboxes. Throw in a reflector board or two and you're set.

Apr 25, 2015 at 02:18 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Quick Lighting Help for Corperate Headshots (LED constant lights)

Why specifically are you looking at LED panels? They may well struggle to overpower the overhead florescents and you will end up with less versatility with the low power and lack of modifiers.

Apr 25, 2015 at 06:02 AM
J.D.
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Quick Lighting Help for Corperate Headshots (LED constant lights)

LEDs should be able to overcome fluoros without too much trouble if they're positioned close enough. The lights he's looking at have 1144 LEDs in them. The bi-colour ones I use have 900 and with a custom white balance, I don't have too many problems overcoming them.

But I agree, they would be less versatile and there are fewer modifiers available. That said, there are still other options open. The main things to consider are the position and size of the modifier.

Apr 25, 2015 at 03:43 PM
nixland
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Quick Lighting Help for Corperate Headshots (LED constant lights)

And if you need more than one light, it is better to buy the same brand and type so that they have the same color temperature. (although each brand can have color temperature shift at different power level on it's own)

Apr 30, 2015 at 01:11 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Quick Lighting Help for Corperate Headshots (LED constant lights)

I'd get flash, not LED. A lot more versatile

Apr 30, 2015 at 07:19 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Quick Lighting Help for Corperate Headshots (LED constant lights)

Flashes will offer more versatility than LED lights. Also, I would strongly encourage you to turn off or over power the overhead lights as their color temperature will likely not match any of the off camera lights you purchase.

May 01, 2015 at 10:26 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.