New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · LR6 Re-Draw Issue w/GPU's

ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR6 Re-Draw Issue w/GPU's

I'm experiencing something on my iMac which apparently is called a re-draw. I didn't know what it was called because I've never seen it before. Many adjustments cause the image to blur out for a moment, then comes back. This next part is hard to explain, but when I go to the next picture in the Develop Module, the next picture is desaturated for a moment. Then the color shows up. Just odd.

I've been told a new GPU driver solves all this, but I guess we have to wait on Apple...

I have a 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX in a late 2012 iMac with 3.4ghz i7

Despite the re-draw, LR6 is still faster in every way. The re-draw is just a small nuisance, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Apr 23, 2015 at 09:55 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR6 Re-Draw Issue w/GPU's

I have the same machine with the same GPU I've not noticed it but will keep an eye out for it .

what version of OSx are you on ? I'm on an upto date Yosem if that makes a difference

Apr 24, 2015 at 02:46 AM
BlueBomberTurbo
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR6 Re-Draw Issue w/GPU's

I've got the redraw (blur then normal) effect on a 2011 iMac w/ Radeon 6970M on Yosemite. And yeah, either way, it's miles faster than LR or ACR has ever been.

Apr 24, 2015 at 07:43 AM
JPuckettPhoto
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR6 Re-Draw Issue w/GPU's

Custom built PC (i5 3570k, GT660) and I have this same "issue". My video driver is the most current offered by Nvidia.

Apr 24, 2015 at 09:36 AM
BlueBomberTurbo
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LR6 Re-Draw Issue w/GPU's

Just noticed something else that I probably wasn't paying attention to. The cursor doesn't change when changing tools (arrow, eyedropper, crop, etc.). Only after clicking with the tool does it change. No impact on functionality, though.

Apr 24, 2015 at 09:37 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LR6 Re-Draw Issue w/GPU's

blurredvision wrote:
Custom built PC (i5 3570k, GT660) and I have this same "issue". My video driver is the most current offered by Nvidia.

After installing LR6, playing with video card setting.....
I have come to conclusion that if you are running large monitor 27"+ with higher resolution, you will need a really solid graphics card to kick LR6 in the back-end to get going.
Meaning the gaming stuff really is not up to speed - except the top end stuff.

As mentioned in another thread, the cards installed on mac pro - points users in a direction of and AMD Fire Pro series (or Nvidea equivalent) graphic cards.

We users wanted to get the most out of our computer when driving LR.... CPU/GPU/RAM ... etc
Looks like Adobe said here you go....

Maybe we should be careful what we ask for.

-Mark

Apr 24, 2015 at 10:11 AM
JPuckettPhoto
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LR6 Re-Draw Issue w/GPU's

Ziffl3 wrote:
After installing LR6, playing with video card setting.....
I have come to conclusion that if you are running large monitor 27"+ with higher resolution, you will need a really solid graphics card to kick LR6 in the back-end to get going.

I believe you are correct, some are calling it the "Retina tax".

Apr 24, 2015 at 12:35 PM
AnnJS
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LR6 Re-Draw Issue w/GPU's

I have seen suggestions in the Adobe Forums that you need a 2GB card if you are using a large Retina screen.

Both Lr CC 2015 and ACR 9 seem to be trouble-free on my 13" MBP Retina and also on a MacPro tower with a 29" NEC monitor.

Macs also need to be running on OSX 10.9.5 (or later) or on OSX 10.10.2 or later.

Apr 24, 2015 at 02:44 PM
Bruce n Philly
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LR6 Re-Draw Issue w/GPU's

Two different GPUs on my Windows 7 64 machine, Intel Core i7-3930K, SDD, and NEC PA301W 30" 2560x1600.

I installed LR 6 with a EVGA GTX 650 Ti and installed an EVGA GTX 970 SC this morning. Even with this very high-performance 970 (about $350), I have redraw lag and some lag in the sliders. With the 970, sliding my clarity slider hard left or right results in a two-stage render. However it is very fast anyway.

I found a redraw bug where if I am flipping between two pics in Develop using the arrow keys, sometimes one image will not render/redraw and stays blurry. I have to move a few images away and come back.

Odd, even with my high-performance machine with a ton of RAM (32GB), LR does not seem to cache the images or much of it anyway, and has to re-render the image when moving back and forth in develop. It is definitely faster than previous versions... but not that much more if you already have a fast machine.

Great Graphics Card benchmark site: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

Just some data points..... FWIW.

Update: I discovered a bug... the PERFORMANCE tab in Preferences disappeared. Great. I suspect it is using the GPU as it is faster than the previous LR version.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:05 AM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · LR6 Re-Draw Issue w/GPU's

I think new drivers and maybe a LR6 update will do the trick, but as a Mac user I can't update my drivers haha, just have to wait on Apple. All we need is a little patience

Apr 25, 2015 at 11:29 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.