New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · LR6 Major Bug cannot validate upgrade install/serial number

fqo63ta
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR6 Major Bug cannot validate upgrade install/serial number

Several folks, me included, are reporting that they cannot validate the serial number of LR6 upgrade from LR5.7.1.

https://forums.adobe.com/message/7469891#7469891

I bought a LR6 upgrade, installed it, and at first launch inserted the new serial number issued by Adobe. Got an error message stating that my computer had to be connected to the internet in order to validate the new SN.

I am connected to the web. Tried with my firewall disabled....tried my LR5 SN...nothing worked.

It's a shame that Adobe did not go through a Beta testing period. This would likely have been caught.

Edited on Apr 23, 2015 at 07:55 AM · View previous versions

Apr 23, 2015 at 07:31 AM
gwaww
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR6 Major Bug cannot validate upgrade install/serial number

And what did Adobe say when you contacted them?

Apr 23, 2015 at 07:41 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR6 Major Bug cannot validate upgrade install/serial number

gwaww wrote:

Yep, first thing that should be done.

Apr 23, 2015 at 07:46 AM
fqo63ta
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR6 Major Bug cannot validate upgrade install/serial number

gwaww wrote:

So far...nothing...no response.

Apr 23, 2015 at 07:54 AM
fqo63ta
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LR6 Major Bug cannot validate upgrade install/serial number

In addition to NOT being able to use my new LR6, but now LR5 is loaded with pop-up's that were not there previously.

GRRRRR!!!

Apr 23, 2015 at 07:59 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LR6 Major Bug cannot validate upgrade install/serial number

I ran into a similar issue last night. Once I finally found the very well hidden page (Thanks Adobe) for the LR6 upgrade everything went smoothly until AFTER it finished the download. Then it said that it found a system restart was scheduled. (my Avast had just upgraded and needed to restart but I had told it "later"). So I clicked the quit button so that I could do the restart then continue. An hour later I final figured out how to finish the install after logging into Adobe and giving them all legal rights to my first born child. AGAIN!

But... I'm up and running now. I need to upgrade my graphics card because it was 5x slower than 5.7 was which was already slow as all crap. I got numerous "Black bars" along the top while working on a 3 frame HDR. I expected I would need a new GPU anyhow so that part doesn't bother me much. It had better run like a raped ape when I do though or I'm going to be pissed.

I'm not impressed with the HDR results or interface at all. There's a radio check box to see what the ghosting effects and I see nothing change in areas that I suspect ghosting to be regardless of which amount I choose. And the zoom function is a joke while inside the HDR screen. It zooms to maybe a 1:24 or some crap. What the heck good is that! How about a 1:1 at least. The resulting image is no better than what I can get with LR-Enfuse from what little testing I did last night. And the 16-bit file didn't seem to give me any more wiggle room for adjustments than what I have with LR-Enfuse.

Idk. Hopefully after my GPU upgrade I'll be happier after spending more time with it.

Apr 23, 2015 at 08:28 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LR6 Major Bug cannot validate upgrade install/serial number

fqo63ta wrote:
So far...nothing...no response.

You actually spoke with an Adobe service tech? What was their response to your issue?

Apr 23, 2015 at 08:28 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LR6 Major Bug cannot validate upgrade install/serial number

lighthound wrote:
I'm not impressed with the HDR results or interface at all. There's a radio check box to see what the ghosting effects and I see nothing change in areas that I suspect ghosting to be regardless of which amount I choose. And the zoom function is a joke while inside the HDR screen. It zooms to maybe a 1:24 or some crap. What the heck good is that! How about a 1:1 at least. .

from the videos posted by Adobe the preview size for both the HDR and Pano is pretty small . the video stated that this was for 'performance' . so yeah any zoom at all isnt going to go in very deep .
ive not tried either bit yet but from what I can see in those videos there is so little you can actually do within that interface you may as well just let it render and work on from there .
as the result is a DNG and Adobe state that the process is 'non destructive' does anyone know if you can get back into that interface to apply for example more or less of the deghost or a different perspective (in Pano)?

By the way RE a GPU and itr being slower than 5.7 at the moment:
I dont know what system you on but with or without the GPU activated on my imac LR6 seems to be quicker than 5.7 was . I dont know from what ive seen mentioned that the GPU is being used for past the sliders bit that adobe specifically mention . Maybe its used in rendering of stuff like the HDR and Pano (need to test that) . it certainly didnt seem to be any different going between images in the DEVELOPE mode with GPU turned on or off . but both ways seemed faster than doing the same in 5.7

Apr 23, 2015 at 08:40 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LR6 Major Bug cannot validate upgrade install/serial number

I have been playing with the HDR today and I find it quite good.

Yes you only have very basic controls for combining the RAW files but when the DNG is produced it is still completely malleable and you can make whatever changes you like to it, just like any other RAW

Like most HDR's it's lacking contrast and noisy but both of those can easily be beefed up.

Apr 23, 2015 at 09:04 AM
RP3lks

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · LR6 Major Bug cannot validate upgrade install/serial number

Thom Hogan posted a discussion of the LR6 download issues that shed some light on this. It looks like it just may take a little time for Adobe to get it right.
http://www.dslrbodies.com/accessories/software-for-nikon-dslrs/software-news/adobes-not-so-smooth-rollou.html

Apr 23, 2015 at 09:07 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · LR6 Major Bug cannot validate upgrade install/serial number

That's a good question about being able to go back in to the merged HDR and different settings. I'm not sure if it will do that because the final stage is to "merge" and I suspect that the resulting dng file is what it is. I think what they are implying is that your original raw files are left intact and the HDR feature creates a new separate file.

My system is getting old (2009) running win7. It has struggled with LR5.X for some time now and I have been eagerly awaiting this LR6 in hopes that the GPU speed increase was a true rumor. Now that I know it is real, I will invest in a new graphics card. Right now I have a NVIDIA Geforce GT220 1GB and I'm thinking of picking up a GTW 750 2GB to help my aging system deal with LR6.

Edit: I forgot to mention that yes, I am seeing a fair amount of speed improvement while simply moving from one photo to another in the Develop module. But not so much if I work inside an edited image.

Edited on Apr 23, 2015 at 09:37 AM · View previous versions

Apr 23, 2015 at 09:26 AM
fqo63ta
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · LR6 Major Bug cannot validate upgrade install/serial number

chez wrote:
You actually spoke with an Adobe service tech? What was their response to your issue?

Adobe's phone support is limited to their more professional apps. They do not support LR by phone...I was directed to web customer service.
So far, no response from them.

Apr 23, 2015 at 09:35 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · LR6 Major Bug cannot validate upgrade install/serial number

fqo63ta wrote:
In addition to NOT being able to use my new LR6, but now LR5 is loaded with pop-up's that were not there previously.

GRRRRR!!!

Does LR6 not give you the option of using it for the 30 day trail? (until you sort out the S/N issue).

Apr 23, 2015 at 09:40 AM
fqo63ta
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · LR6 Major Bug cannot validate upgrade install/serial number

RP3lks wrote:
Thom Hogan posted a discussion of the LR6 download issues that shed some light on this. It looks like it just may take a little time for Adobe to get it right.
http://www.dslrbodies.com/accessories/software-for-nikon-dslrs/software-news/adobes-not-so-smooth-rollou.html

That's what I'm seeing...an endless loop of error messages.

While trying to validate my new LR6 serial number, my internet connection shows NO activity.
This is when I get the error message that I have to be connected to validate the SN.
Apparently, something in the validate process is telling LR that I am not connected, even though I am connected.

Apr 23, 2015 at 09:42 AM
fqo63ta
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · LR6 Major Bug cannot validate upgrade install/serial number

snapsy wrote:
Does LR6 not give you the option of using it for the 30 day trail? (until you sort out the S/N issue).

Well...I could do that. I also could use Capture One or DXO.
That's not the issue. The issue is...after paying good money for an upgrade, it should work properly.
Shame on Adobe for putting out a buggy product that the customer cannot use.

Still GRRRRR!!

Apr 23, 2015 at 09:49 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · LR6 Major Bug cannot validate upgrade install/serial number

lighthound wrote:
My system is getting old (2009) running win7. It has struggled with LR5.X for some time now and I have been eagerly awaiting this LR6 in hopes that the GPU speed increase was a true rumor. Now that I know it is real, I will invest in a new graphics card. Right now I have a NVIDIA Geforce GT220 1GB and I'm thinking of picking up a GTW 750 2GB to help my aging system deal with LR6.

Does it have a 4-core cpu ?, or is it a dual-core ?
What GHz ?

Edit: I forgot to mention that yes, I am seeing a fair amount of speed improvement while simply moving from one photo to another in the Develop module. But not so much if I work inside an edited image.

Maybe the balance between cpu cores and cpu GHz on your computer is not suitable for optimum performance in Lr.

You might do a lot better to get a new m/b and cpu and RAM rather than a new graphics card. Anything from 2009 will be a lot slower than todays stuff. Even the graphics built into the latest cpu is speedy enough for Lr, and will run a 4k screen. A new graphics card would be icing on the cake but the other gear is what is really slowing everything down.

- Alan

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:09 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · LR6 Major Bug cannot validate upgrade install/serial number

I have CC Cloud version on two computers including Lr 5.7 on 4 machines. I upgraded yesterday with many issues in validating the licence in an endless loop. I spoke to Adobe, and they have resolved 3 machines but I have my 4th that I am still having issues with. This is an issue that Adobe do need to resolve!

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:19 PM
ebiggs
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · LR6 Major Bug cannot validate upgrade install/serial number

lighthound wrote:
I ran into a similar issue last night. Once I finally found the very well hidden page (Thanks Adobe) for the LR6 upgrade everything went smoothly until AFTER it finished the download.

Of course this is Adobe and very little works well if you don't want CC. I have called twice, hard to get through and I am still not able to register LR6 as a perpetual. I have been at this for two days and am no closer. I must be connected to the Inet and sign in. It still show xx days left. I am at the point where I am about ready to return it and go back to LR5. LR5 was doing all I wanted except for the HDR and I have Photomatirx anyways.

My advice if you are not a CC person is to forget LR6 and be happy with LR5. Keeps the blood pressure lower and preserves what little hair I have left. Adobe is a sorry company. IMHO, of course.

Can you pray tell where or how to get to the "well hidden page" is?

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:32 PM
ebiggs
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · LR6 Major Bug cannot validate upgrade install/serial number

I just returned LR6. Tired of messing with it and Adobe. Geeez! They can have it at least until they can get their act together.

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:56 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · LR6 Major Bug cannot validate upgrade install/serial number

ebiggs wrote:
Of course this is Adobe and very little works well...

Fixed that for you.

EBH

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:56 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.