Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · LR6/CC speed gain . what you seeing ?

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR6/CC speed gain . what you seeing ?

OK I've only just started to play with the LR CC trial but my initial findings do seem like its quicker .

example:

going from image to image in the DEVELOP module there was a perceptable lag as the preview redraws (I think the preview always redraws in develop) .
But now in 6/CC whilst I do still see the little 'loading' box on the screen its done with much faster .

Im on an iMac 27" late 2012 with the GTX 680 MX 2gig upgrade . and LR does report that it can use the GPU .

whats your findings ? and on what system/gpu ?

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:45 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR6/CC speed gain . what you seeing ?

I'm curious about this also, as i haven't upgraded yet and the performance boost from using a GPU is the most interesting feature of LR6 to me. I have a GTX-970 waiting in a box for installing to my PC....

Apr 23, 2015 at 01:26 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR6/CC speed gain . what you seeing ?

actually a bit of testing with the GPU on and off (its a tick box in the prefs) and I don't think its using the GPU for the redraw in develop . the speed seems the same on or off . but either way its definatly quicker than LR5 was

Apr 23, 2015 at 01:46 AM
mtbakerskier
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR6/CC speed gain . what you seeing ?

Both loading previews and browsing in full screen is way faster for me, and the delope moduals sliders are all lightening fast for me compared to before. I'm on a 2010 mac pro, thats using all flash storage for the catalog and application files. Curious if Adobe finally started to use multi core processing.

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:01 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LR6/CC speed gain . what you seeing ?

mtbakerskier wrote:
Curious if Adobe finally started to use multi core processing.

At first glance looks about the same between LR5.7 and LR6, at least for import+preview generation. Here is a 20-second sample I just captured of a D800 import + 1:1 preview generation:

LR5.7 vs LR6 CPU Utilization
LR5.7 vs LR6 Thread Utilization

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:26 AM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LR6/CC speed gain . what you seeing ?

I thought I read somewhere only the Develop module uses the graphic processor.
So import+preview generation should be more or less the same.

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:42 AM
AnnJS
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LR6/CC speed gain . what you seeing ?

The Adjustment Brushes and the Brush/Healing tools do not use the GPU Open GL at this time.

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:50 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LR6/CC speed gain . what you seeing ?

Eric Chan (of the Lr Team) offered this elsewhere :

Yes, GPU acceleration is currently available in Develop only. It is used during interactive adjustment of images for the main preview image. The benefits are more noticeable on higher-resolution screens -- such as 4K and 5K displays, and high-res laptop screens such as the MacBook Pro Retina 15" model (which has a 5 MP display).

There were some speed improvements made to Library as well, but these are not GPU-based.

I also read at some point yesterday (can't recall exactly where) that some export tasks have been given multi-core capabilities which in nice.

In the past a workaround for exporting large batches of jpegs would be to divide up the batch into smaller groups and export thus forcing a more multi-thread like job ... hopefully now that will be done for us behind the scenes.

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:59 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LR6/CC speed gain . what you seeing ?

butchM wrote:
Eric Chan (of the Lr Team) offered this elsewhere :

I also read at some point yesterday (can't recall exactly where) that some export tasks have been given multi-core capabilities which in nice.

In the past a workaround for exporting large batches of jpegs would be to divide up the batch into smaller groups and export thus forcing a more multi-thread like job ... hopefully now that will be done for us behind the scenes.

Here is the total export time of LR5.7 vs LR6 for a single batch of 74 D800 NEFs, default settings, full-sized JPEG @ 80% quality. On an i7 4.5ghz system, catalog on SSD, NEFs on 7200RPM HD:

LR5.7: 4 Minutes 3 Seconds
LR6: 2 Minutes 53 Seconds

Apr 23, 2015 at 02:55 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · LR6/CC speed gain . what you seeing ?

AnnJS wrote:
The Adjustment Brushes and the Brush/Healing tools do not use the GPU Open GL at this time.

Using Windows Performance Analyzer I've confirmed that every slider in LR uses the GPU in LR6, including those associated with adjustment brushes, vs no GPU use in LR5.7. Here is a capture of GPU utilization in LR6 using an adjustment brush with only the exposure slider set for the brush:

http://horshack.smugmug.com/photos/i-NjPVQh9/0/O/i-NjPVQh9.jpg

Apr 23, 2015 at 03:05 PM
mtbakerskier
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · LR6/CC speed gain . what you seeing ?

Anyone else notice that Lightroom slows down significantly after going to the face recognization screen, or after any prolonged use?

Apr 23, 2015 at 04:33 PM
AnnJS
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · LR6/CC speed gain . what you seeing ?

I merely relayed the information which Eric Chan (ACR Engineer) posted on the Adobe Forums:
https://forums.adobe.com/message/7470607#7470607

[Quote]
GPU performance in Lr CC will depend a lot on the control that you are editing, as well as what other settings (image adjustments) you have enabled on the particular image. At present, the most acceleration will happen when editing non-detail, global controls. For example, Basic, Tone Curve, HSL, Split Tone, Lens Correction, Post-Crop Vignette, etc. Many gradient and radial filter operations are also greatly accelerated.

Some other editing operations such as local brush adjustments and the spot tool do not currently take advantage of GPU acceleration.
If you heavily use these tools, then you may find that their performance (with the GPU feature checked) is on par with Lr 5 performance, or possibly slower due to additional overhead when using the GPU path.
[/Quote]

Apr 24, 2015 at 12:43 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · LR6/CC speed gain . what you seeing ?

AnnJS wrote:
I merely relayed the information which Eric Chan (ACR Engineer) posted on the Adobe Forums:
https://forums.adobe.com/message/7470607#7470607

Thanks, just posted a reply to Eric on that thread with my findings.

Apr 24, 2015 at 12:53 PM
NormanPCN
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · LR6/CC speed gain . what you seeing ?

snapsy wrote:
Using Windows Performance Analyzer I've confirmed that every slider in LR uses the GPU in LR6, including those associated with adjustment brushes, vs no GPU use in LR5.7.

So you know the code associated with a specific slider is using GPU, or just that some code in the application used GPU when you moved the slider.

This is the problem with utilization numbers. You don't know what used the GPU, but just that something used the GPU. Moving a slider whose implementation code does not use GPU can certainly cause code that does use the GPU to be executed as part of a redraw initiated by a UI control movement.

Apr 24, 2015 at 01:44 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · LR6/CC speed gain . what you seeing ?

NormanPCN wrote:
So you know the code associated with a specific slider is using GPU, or just that some code in the application used GPU when you moved the slider.

This is the problem with utilization numbers. You don't know what used the GPU, but just that something used the GPU. Moving a slider whose implementation code does not use GPU can certainly cause code that does use the GPU to be executed as part of a redraw initiated by a UI control movement.

I had confirmed the GPU usage was specific to the slider by disabling LR6's GPU acceleration and capturing the same slider operation in the GPU analyzer - it showed zero GPU usage, the same as I saw in LR5. In addition, there's a separate analyzing app in the kit that lets me see every GPU primitive issued by LR6, including all the kernel ops around that primitive - that can be use to correlate the GPU operation to specific application events.

Apr 24, 2015 at 01:52 PM
JPuckettPhoto
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · LR6/CC speed gain . what you seeing ?

Took some pictures at my daughter's 2nd birthday party today and it was the first time I've used LR6 in a normal workflow manner. I can say without a doubt that most everything within the Develop module is MUCH faster. With LR5 and previous, I would often just type in numbers because of the lag between sliding and the changes appearing, but now it's pretty close to 1:1 (not quite but close enough) when sliding to seeing the changes on the photo.

I use a second screen and photos have always shown a degree of lag, however the second screen photos are updating much faster as well. Cropping on the main screen updates the second screen almost immediately, which is a nice change of pace.

I've only used LR6 very little so far but I already feel it's well worth my $80 upgrade fee.

Apr 25, 2015 at 08:51 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.