New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Tripod recommendation

godfreyz
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tripod recommendation

A friend asked me for a recommendation for a decent tripod for around $100. The tripod would not be used with any heavy lenses. I personally have a Manfroto and basically am not knowledgeable about what decent tripods are out there around $100. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Apr 22, 2015 at 10:02 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tripod recommendation

0, none, nada, zilch

Apr 22, 2015 at 10:15 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tripod recommendation

Whenever I want to survey the market, I check B&H. This link should show the B&H tripod info, listed in order of price, starting at the lowest price.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ns=p_PRICE_2%7c0&ci=2636&setNs=p_PRICE_2%7c0&N=4075788741&srtclk=sort

I can't provide any suggestions for tripods priced at around $100, but I'm confident that some FM members can. Maybe.

Apr 22, 2015 at 10:17 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tripod recommendation

cheapest thing in the long run is to check all sources for an old Gitzo - it will be Al, not CF, thus heavier but cheaper

or pay more and get a used CF Gitzo (you will never find a used RRS tripod) - those are the two brands to buy

if he absolutely cannot pay for that level of used quality, then get a Man Frodo or maybe Sirui or Induro

tons of crappy tripods out there, buy one and use it as a light stand after you buy YAT (Yet Another Tripod)

Apr 22, 2015 at 10:26 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tripod recommendation

Tell your friend to save up their money and spring for a decent tripod and head from the start. They will end up spending way over the price of a good tripod as they step up each time trying to get a steady one and be stuck with the crappy ones that Wobble.

Apr 23, 2015 at 01:05 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tripod recommendation

Wobble wrote:
Tell your friend to save up their money and spring for a decent tripod and head from the start. They will end up spending way over the price of a good tripod as they step up each time trying to get a steady one and be stuck with the crappy ones that Wobble.

+1. I suspect you also have some experience in that area.

EBH

Apr 23, 2015 at 01:27 AM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tripod recommendation

People seem to be reasonably happy with the Dolica tripods available at Costco and elsewhere. Costco has an excellent return policy if it does't work out.

Apr 23, 2015 at 09:08 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tripod recommendation

rw11 wrote:
cheapest thing in the long run is to check all sources for an old Gitzo - it will be Al, not CF, thus heavier but cheaper

or pay more and get a used CF Gitzo (you will never find a used RRS tripod) - those are the two brands to buy

if he absolutely cannot pay for that level of used quality, then get a Man Frodo or maybe Sirui or Induro

tons of crappy tripods out there, buy one and use it as a light stand after you buy YAT (Yet Another Tripod)

I bought a used Gitzo Al tripod in the early 1990s and it's a real tank and still works and looks great. No ballast needed with a heavy video head and camera!

You can still get a Manfrotto 190 kit for $120. I'm not too fond of that head but you can't do any better than this for a Benjamin 'n change:

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-190XB-Section-Aluminum-804RC2/dp/B000NOGR0A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1429808343&sr=8-3&keywords=manfrotto+190

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:58 AM
kylebarendrick
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tripod recommendation

I have a Slik 700DX (comes with a pan/tilt head) that's been really good value for the money ($139 for legs and head). Built like a tank but it is quite heavy.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/131427-REG/Slik_615_315_Pro_700DX_Tripod_with.html

Apr 23, 2015 at 01:37 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tripod recommendation

this is an old tank but sturdy - no affiliation

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1361514

Apr 24, 2015 at 04:18 PM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tripod recommendation

I use the Mefoto backpacker; This little guy is very robust and well-made, as well as light and short. /in windy conditions, I hang my bag from a hook that is situated under the centre column, which makes it very stable:
http://www.mefoto.com/products/backpacker.aspx

I bought mine at $89 CAD and have seen them from $90-$130 US.
I highly recommend it..

Apr 24, 2015 at 08:50 PM
godfreyz
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tripod recommendation

Thanks to all that replied. Will forward your responses!

Apr 25, 2015 at 12:04 AM
can0nfan2379
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tripod recommendation

EB-1 wrote:
+1. I suspect you also have some experience in that area.

EBH

Someone once said....."Buy once, cry once"

If you save up and buy quality legs / ballheads, they will last a lifetime as long as you take care of them and in the end it really is cheaper than going through the path of many upgrades over the months/years.

Apr 26, 2015 at 10:12 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tripod recommendation

kylebarendrick wrote:
I have a Slik 700DX (comes with a pan/tilt head) that's been really good value for the money ($139 for legs and head). Built like a tank but it is quite heavy.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/131427-REG/Slik_615_315_Pro_700DX_Tripod_with.html

+1. I have owned a Slik tripod for over 10 years. It sports a very robust build and is as sturdy as they come for a decent price.

Apr 26, 2015 at 10:48 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tripod recommendation

can0nfan2379 wrote:
Someone once said....."Buy once, cry once"

If you save up and buy quality legs / ballheads, they will last a lifetime as long as you take care of them and in the end it really is cheaper than going through the path of many upgrades over the months/years.

Tripods and heads have improved a lot during my lifetime. I still have good solid tripods from the 1970s, but I would not use them anymore for cameras.
I'd say a good tripod is something to plan on using for about 10 years.

EBH

Apr 26, 2015 at 11:00 AM
can0nfan2379
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tripod recommendation

EB-1 wrote:
Tripods and heads have improved a lot during my lifetime. I still have good solid tripods from the 1970s, but I would not use them anymore for cameras.
I'd say a good tripod is something to plan on using for about 10 years.

EBH

True enough...my experience is based in the last 15 - 20 years. My current RRS setup does everything I could possibly want so I can't imagine needing anything else but who knows what will be available in the next decade or two.

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:13 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tripod recommendation

buy RRS and Gitzo CF and you should be good for a few decades

I enjoy seeing all the people in Yosemite Valley with D800s, super expensive lenses and Slik tripods...

Apr 26, 2015 at 01:20 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tripod recommendation

Deezie wrote:
+1. I have owned a Slik tripod for over 10 years. It sports a very robust build and is as sturdy as they come for a decent price.

Just be careful when extending the legs.

I've somehow accumulated TWO of the things. (DX700) The first, purchased ~12 years ago, has proved to be a bomb-proof tank. The second, newer one, has proven to be fragile garbage! It's not the metal components that are defective, it's the plastic sleeves and guides in the leg extension mechanism that fail. Apparently, at some point in time, some bean counter decided to 'update' their components with cheaper versions. Twice, when (gently - I've never abused the equipment) extending the lower leg segment, the retaining tab has broken, allowing the entire leg segment to fall to pieces. I was left with a tripod in one hand and a severed leg in the other, watching springs and bits of broken plastic go flying through the air. Great fun! Replacement parts are stupidly expensive for what they are (ten cent bits of nylon), slow to arrive, and just as prone to breakage as the original bits.

I'm afraid my once-positive opinion of Slik had done a complete 180. I'd now suggest the OP avoid their products if possible.

May 02, 2015 at 11:41 AM
Surfnsun
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Tripod recommendation

I'm using the Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB 100 Tripod. I've been very impressed!

May 02, 2015 at 11:56 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Tripod recommendation

I'm afraid my once-positive opinion of Slik had done a complete 180. I'd now suggest the OP avoid their products if possible.

My Slik tripod is primarily all metal. The only rubber is has is the footing piece at the bottom of the tripod legs. Below is the model I purchased many years ago and it still look brand new. It's built like a tank.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/885665-REG/Slik_615_316_Pro_700DX_Tripod_With.html

May 03, 2015 at 10:36 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.