Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · After three days with my first full from camera, I have one thing to say..

NYCPhotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · After three days with my first full from camera, I have one thing to say..

Holy depth of field. The shallowness of the DOF is amazing. I knew it was going to be different but not this drastic. I love it. I feel like I can easily stop down to f4 and get the same depth of field I was getting at 2.8 on my D300s. Sharper pictures and same DOF, I like it.

Apr 22, 2015 at 06:30 PM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · After three days with my first full from camera, I have one thing to say..

B-b-b-b-but the internet says you're wrong.

It was the first thing I noticed too when I went from a D300 to D700. It was jaw dropping...and made me a bokeh junky.

Apr 22, 2015 at 07:11 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · After three days with my first full from camera, I have one thing to say..

I just bought an iMac, don't get me lusting after a full frame now...

Good to hear you're enjoying the new kit! I know a guy around here who went from a D300s to a D610, and has had nothing but good things to say about the switch.

Apr 22, 2015 at 07:24 PM
cbbr
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · After three days with my first full from camera, I have one thing to say..

Congrats! It will spoil you... I went from a D7000 to a D600 for people shooting and it was a fantastic move. (I still use a D7100 for macro)

Apr 22, 2015 at 08:15 PM
Birdchsr

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · After three days with my first full from camera, I have one thing to say..

J, jus, just a little while longer and my D810 will be here. Coming from a D300 and seeing some of the most excellent images I'm seeing posted, I don't think I've been so excited in quite some time.

We have clear skies here today and I'm already rolling around my head where I want to be when magic hour arrives.

Apr 23, 2015 at 09:56 AM
cope07
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · After three days with my first full from camera, I have one thing to say..

Birdchsr, the D810 from a D300 will be a revelation

Apr 23, 2015 at 09:58 AM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · After three days with my first full from camera, I have one thing to say..

I just went from D700 and Sony A7s to D810. Can't imagine what a difference a D300 to D810 would be.

I tried out medium format film a few years ago and had the same experience. Fun stuff!!!

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:42 AM
infosecgeek
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · After three days with my first full from camera, I have one thing to say..

Yeap.. I'm a bit of a bokeh nut too.. Miss the APS-C reach but nothing like FF

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:01 PM
static808
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · After three days with my first full from camera, I have one thing to say..

congrats on the switch to FX! i think i read somewhere that for the exact same framing, FF has 1 and 1/3 stop shallower DOF, so your comparison of f4.0 at FX with f2.8 on DX is pretty darn close. good eye!!

Apr 23, 2015 at 02:08 PM
Birdchsr

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · After three days with my first full from camera, I have one thing to say..

OMG! I love the D810!

Spent about 2 hours at a local nature park and wow. It's all mostly default settings and wow, it smokes my D300. I'm totally happy with the choice.

Apr 23, 2015 at 06:59 PM
low325
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · After three days with my first full from camera, I have one thing to say..

if to do it over, i wouldve said screwed nice glass and went fx with the cheapest prime.

Apr 23, 2015 at 07:18 PM
cbbr
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · After three days with my first full from camera, I have one thing to say..

Nope. I built a solid set of glass first which made DX shine and still use DX for some things (sports, macro). A 24-70 or 70-200 looks great on both and given the choice I would keep the glass and ditch the FX. I can take shots with a D70 that are simply fantastic using my "good" glass.

Apr 23, 2015 at 09:12 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · After three days with my first full from camera, I have one thing to say..

Lauchlan Toal wrote:

Good to hear you're enjoying the new kit! I know a guy around here who went from a D300s to a D610, and has had nothing but good things to say about the switch.

got both..just do it!

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:21 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · After three days with my first full from camera, I have one thing to say..

Jason_Brook wrote:
B-b-b-b-but the internet says you're wrong.

It was the first thing I noticed too when I went from a D300 to D700. It was jaw dropping...and made me a bokeh junky.

I remember having a first look through a 400/2.8 over 30 year ago. There was no internet nonsense then.

EBH

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:51 PM
clay23
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · After three days with my first full from camera, I have one thing to say..

try shooting 4x5!!

Apr 24, 2015 at 12:05 PM
low325
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · After three days with my first full from camera, I have one thing to say..

cbbr wrote:
Nope. I built a solid set of glass first which made DX shine and still use DX for some things (sports, macro). A 24-70 or 70-200 looks great on both and given the choice I would keep the glass and ditch the FX. I can take shots with a D70 that are simply fantastic using my "good" glass.

i did too...and now where is all my nice 2.8 zoom glass?? sitting collecting dust ready to be sold....keeping cheap old primes instead. more interesting, much more challenging and 10X more fun with great quality.

Apr 24, 2015 at 12:32 PM
cbbr
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · After three days with my first full from camera, I have one thing to say..

My gear is not the challenge - that's me.

Apr 24, 2015 at 03:40 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.