FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Painted Hills, OR - Set 3 and LR6

rsk7
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Painted Hills, OR - Set 3 and LR6

I've been waiting for LR6 to process and post these 2 shots.

Edit: I've reprocessed the Sunrise at Painted Hills image paying closer attention to both the highlights and shadows to make sure I didn't blow them after initial HDR was created. Also, after getting more info about the HDR tool I recreated the HDR using only 3 images instead of 5 based on the recommendations. Interestingly the 3 shot HDR DNG file is about 2MB larger than the 5 shot DNG.

Edit: I also ran the face recognition on the collection containing these shots and there is apparently a face in the back hillside of the second shot around center left.

The sunrise shot is a 3 (was 5) shot bracket processed with the new LR6 Photo Merge HDR with Auto Align and Auto Tone to a DNG and then tweaked with some use of the Gradient filters and the new Brush Erase feature.

The pano is similar to a shot I posted in Painted Hills -Set 2 post but is a 4 shot pano stitched to a DNG and then processed similarly to the post in Set 2.

Enjoy. C&C welcome.

Rick

Sunrise at Painted Hills

Alien Hills

Edited on Apr 23, 2015 at 04:15 PM · View previous versions

Apr 22, 2015 at 10:42 AM
Mjollnir
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Painted Hills, OR - Set 3 and LR6

The first one doesn't really speak to me, the second one is fantastic, esp. with the color palette.

Apr 22, 2015 at 11:40 AM
darbo
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Painted Hills, OR - Set 3 and LR6

#1. Looks like the brackets needed to be spaced wider to capture the full dynamic range of the scene. I don't ever expect to see that many blown-out highlights in an HDR. I would like to see more exposure on the landscape: it looks dark and dull (although actual landscape is very interesting).

#2. Love it! Would like to see the tones and clarity pushed just a bit more, but this looks great. Really nice composition.

Apr 22, 2015 at 11:45 AM
rsk7
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Painted Hills, OR - Set 3 and LR6

I screwed up the processing on the first one with the blown highlights. Initially out of HDR merge it had no blown highlights.

I'll rework it.

Thanks for the comments.

Rick

Apr 22, 2015 at 01:16 PM
smmokan16
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Painted Hills, OR - Set 3 and LR6

I actually prefer #1 as it is.... if you over-do it (like many, many people do), then the HDR processing looks too unnatural.

Apr 22, 2015 at 01:38 PM
rsk7
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Painted Hills, OR - Set 3 and LR6

I re-edited the HDR image and re-posted. See the edit notes in the original post.

Apr 23, 2015 at 04:23 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Painted Hills, OR - Set 3 and LR6

I like them both but am leaning towards #2 a little bit. TFS

-Tree

Apr 23, 2015 at 04:33 PM
briancphoto
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Painted Hills, OR - Set 3 and LR6

The second one is awesome. I love the composition. I would like to see the first one redone with the blacks darkened a bunch. It looks too bland to me. Also I don't know if it is your lens or the HDR process but some of the sunstars look like they are doubled up some how?? Maybe the separate HDR shots the sunstar moved a bit? Brian

Apr 23, 2015 at 04:33 PM
rsk7
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Painted Hills, OR - Set 3 and LR6

Brian - the sunstar was like that in the original full and highlight shots. I think it was a result of the sun being so full in the shot. Usually with the nice tight stars there is just a peak of the bright light point but with this it is a relatively large sun in the image and immediately surrounded by brilliantly lit clouds.

Apr 23, 2015 at 04:48 PM
salamander1

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Painted Hills, OR - Set 3 and LR6

i like both images, they both speak to me.

Apr 23, 2015 at 05:29 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Painted Hills, OR - Set 3 and LR6

Hey Rick,

It looks like the new LR will be great for people who don't want to use Layer masks in Photoshop. Glad it worked well for you.

#2 is my favorite here. I also like #1, though I would add more contrast to the ground layer, it feels a bit washed out.

Jim

Apr 24, 2015 at 03:46 PM
RDStamps

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Painted Hills, OR - Set 3 and LR6

I liked them both - a lot !!!

May 01, 2015 at 08:50 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.