New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · 5D3 iPad tehering?

gregfountain
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D3 iPad tehering?

Is it possible yet? I would love to use my iPad as a field monitor. Yet, I can't seem to find an app that makes it happen. Anyone find anything that works? Any work arounds? I have a 7" monitor, but the quality is lacking. I suppose it will do for now, but it would be great to take advantage of the iPad's retina display for critical focusing...

Thanks,

Greg

Just waiting for the software.....

Edited on Apr 21, 2015 at 07:17 PM · View previous versions

Apr 21, 2015 at 07:06 PM
jaylee73
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D3 iPad tehering?

The CamRanger works really well but it's pretty expensive for what it does.

Apr 21, 2015 at 07:11 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D3 iPad tehering?

I use DSLR Controller with my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (GN3). It works a lot better than did my SmallHD DP6.

DSLR Controller says that they support iPad, at least after you jailbreak it,

http://dslrcontroller.com/iOS/

Apr 21, 2015 at 07:12 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D3 iPad tehering?

Thanks for the quick feedback. I've seen CanRanger, but it DOES seem expensive. I'm a little hesitant to jailbreak my iPad, but I'll take a look at it....

Apr 21, 2015 at 07:16 PM
jaylee73
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D3 iPad tehering?

I would pay for a CamRanger before jailbreaking my Ipad or Iphone...but that's just me.

Apr 21, 2015 at 07:40 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D3 iPad tehering?

Okay, ordered the cam ranger....will report back on how well it works....

Apr 22, 2015 at 01:13 AM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D3 iPad tehering?

The CamRanger seems to work very well, and I think you will be happy with it.

Apr 22, 2015 at 01:33 AM
fredster
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D3 iPad tehering?

Manfrotto just announced the Digital Director will be available In June List price Is $499.00 It clamps on you tripod leg and allows you to operate your camera, you can download your images to the I Pad and enhance and send them with the software provided. I know Its costly but sounds like a nice toy to have. I was looking for a small monitor I have a 7 inch and wanted something a little smaller and came across this. Also It works with two I Pads one Is the I Pad Air.

Apr 22, 2015 at 06:21 AM
gwaww
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D3 iPad tehering?

I have jailbroken every iPad or iPhone I've owned and never had a problem. And by the way, it is not illegal. It is illegal to unlock (to change carrier) an iPhone however.

Apr 22, 2015 at 06:43 AM
Konablue
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D3 iPad tehering?

I've been using the CamRanger with a 5D3 and a 1DX for a couple of years. It works great and you'll be surprised at how much control you have over the camera. As fredster mentioned, there is the new Manfrotto Digital Director coming out in June but I'd much prefer the Camranger.

Just to be clear, I've only reviewed a little bit of info on the Digital Commander but this is what I believe to be the advantages of the CanRanger over the Digital Commander.

The DC appears to be tethered by cable only and not wireless. The CamRanger is wireless only and creates its own WiFi link and therefore doesn't depend on a WiFi HotSpot. Additionally, you can wirelessly tether the CR to an iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch or Android as well as a Mac or PC. The Camranger is somewhat involved with initial setup as you have to configure your device to use the Camranger's WiFi but it works fine once you're there. Manfrotto products typically have very good build quality and I would expect the Digital Commander to be built to a higher standard and more rugged than the Camranger. Since the DC is cable tethered and has it's own processor built-in it will probably respond faster than the Camranger.

I'm sure we'll see some comparisons and plenty of reviews once the DC is released.

Apr 22, 2015 at 07:39 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D3 iPad tehering?

Or just get a TP-Link wireless router, flash the firmware yourself. Buy the DSLR controller app and a small usb cable.
All for about $60 after all said and done.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0088PPFP4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=23W3KDXZ0Q77Z&coliid=I1QBA4GTPDIRHE&psc=1

Apr 22, 2015 at 08:00 AM
jaylee73
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D3 iPad tehering?

dgdg wrote:
Or just get a TP-Link wireless router, flash the firmware yourself. Buy the DSLR controller app and a small usb cable.
All for about $60 after all said and done.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0088PPFP4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=23W3KDXZ0Q77Z&coliid=I1QBA4GTPDIRHE&psc=1

Can you do this with an non jail broken Apple product? Last time I looked I couldn't find a way to do it.

Apr 22, 2015 at 10:14 AM
jaylee73
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5D3 iPad tehering?

gwaww wrote:
I have jailbroken every iPad or iPhone I've owned and never had a problem. And by the way, it is not illegal. It is illegal to unlock (to change carrier) an iPhone however.

In Canada it is not illegal to unlock an iPhone, in fact carriers provide an unlocking service for about $50. I always have my iphones unlocked so I can use a US SIM when travelling to the US as my provider (Bell) charges too much for roaming.

I don't jailbreak as I hate tinkering with products and their associated software. If I needed more than Apple has to offer I would likely switch to another platform like Android.

Anyway, I've taken this way off topic..sorry.

Apr 22, 2015 at 10:22 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5D3 iPad tehering?

I appreciate all the feedback, off-topic or not I like the wireless solution the cam ranger presents, but I wouldn't be opposed to a tether either, as I have my platform right next to the camera. I'm mostly using this for critical focus and finding the nodal point of my lenses as the LCD on the camera just isn't big enough at times for this type of fine tuning, but having control of some of the functions of the camera is also cool. I've used the remote control apps from Fuji and after the hassle of getting those connected, it worked pretty well and made for some easy shooting when the camera was mounted on a horizontal boom for overhead type shots without having to route a cable...

Of course, if the situation allows, I can also tether the camera to my laptop via Lightroom....

Apr 22, 2015 at 11:38 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5D3 iPad tehering?

A LCD loupe is a simpler and more portable solution for magnifying the LCD.

Apr 22, 2015 at 12:13 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5D3 iPad tehering?

jaylee73 wrote:
Can you do this with an non jail broken Apple product? Last time I looked I couldn't find a way to do it.

Nuts, didn't know you had to jail break the Ipad. Guess that offsets the cost of the camranger package if you had to buy a cheap android device in addition to the TP-link and app.

Apr 22, 2015 at 12:42 PM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5D3 iPad tehering?

I'm not understanding jail breaking I guess.

My iPad works fine with the Camranger, downloaded the app, followed the instructions and it works fine.

Maybe because I have an unlocked iPad? Meaning I have a choice of providers or I can use any SIM card I want? Not understanding the need to jail break.

Apr 22, 2015 at 02:01 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5D3 iPad tehering?

shutterbug guy wrote:
I'm not understanding jail breaking I guess.

My iPad works fine with the Camranger, downloaded the app, followed the instructions and it works fine.

Maybe because I have an unlocked iPad? Meaning I have a choice of providers or I can use any SIM card I want? Not understanding the need to jail break.

Jailbreaking is basically replacing the iOS with a modified version that allows you to install non-Apple sanctioned apps....

Apr 22, 2015 at 03:31 PM
ted1000
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5D3 iPad tehering?

The CamRanger app is Apple sanctioned and is in iTunes.

Ted

Apr 22, 2015 at 06:52 PM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5D3 iPad tehering?

gregfountain wrote:
Jailbreaking is basically replacing the iOS with a modified version that allows you to install non-Apple sanctioned apps....

Okay, no need to Jail break then. I downloaded the Cam Ranger app without having to mess with the iOS at all. Not sure where this need to jail break came from.

Apr 23, 2015 at 01:11 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.