New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · PP experiment

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · PP experiment

It has been suggested that out of camera JPG would be better than my normal processing, or some such. So I decided to give it a try. I don't shoot JPG and when I tried shooting both, file management became tiresome. But I think I get the same result in DPP when I use the default landscape settings, and likewise with Photoshop if I use the Landscape style.

The object here to to have image for the web that have some sort of standardized "non- Ben" processing. I had considered SOOC images but they are not worth showing, At least landscape is closer to what we see in person.

Here is the same image processed in ACR landscape and DPP Landscape. Which would you choose. By the way, ACR had to be corrected cyan in the sky.

ACR Landscape with cyan correction.

DPP landscape

Apr 21, 2015 at 06:38 PM
Charlie K.
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · PP experiment

To my eye and monitor the ACR version appears to have more detail and sharpness overall.

Apr 21, 2015 at 07:30 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · PP experiment

Next time you go out shooting, you might want to try raw+jpeg. I shoot everything that way and have no issues with file maintenance. I am able to review my images with any software including Microsoft Photo Gallery. That makes it very easy to review and cull out the images that are not worth keeping.

The OOC jpegs are often about all that is needed for processing but they are a bit bland. Canon has lots of picture styles available and you can easily set defaults with higher saturation and more sharpness.

I am not sure what you are trying to do with the above images. Both seem a bit dark.

Apr 21, 2015 at 07:38 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · PP experiment

Looks like the ACR version has more gamma / curve / contrast ... BUT (and this could a big BUT), I'm on my OLD T60 backup laptop that hasn't been calibrated in quite a while. Although, for contrast comparison ... it should still render more vs. less okay.

I left out on the project and forgot to bring my good one. Good thing I had already "stashed" this one for a field backup.

Apr 21, 2015 at 07:41 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · PP experiment

I would choose the ARC image due to the slight increase in contrast but I like the sky better in the DPP. With that said however, if you were to hang these on oposite walls I don't think my eyes would pick up on the differences between them.

Yesterday I was reading up on my 70D's various High ISO NR and other settings and ran across some information I never knew about regarding the DPP software. This might be common knowledge to you Ben and others but I thought I mention it here as it might be relative to what you are showing here.
Only the DPP software will read your complete in-camera settings and carry them into the software with your Jpg images. All other programs including ARC will not. I know on my 70D there are a bunch of in-camera settings that are set as defaults and if you've never turned them OFF then the DPP software will pick up on them as it brings in your Jpg files.

Again, you might already know this but I just wanted to point this out just in case.

BTW... You captured some nice light there and a beautiful scene.

Apr 21, 2015 at 08:54 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · PP experiment

Camperjim wrote:
Next time you go out shooting, you might want to try raw+jpeg. I shoot everything that way and have no issues with file maintenance. I am able to review my images with any software including Microsoft Photo Gallery. That makes it very easy to review and cull out the images that are not worth keeping.

The OOC jpegs are often about all that is needed for processing but they are a bit bland. Canon has lots of picture styles available and you can easily set defaults with higher saturation and more sharpness.

I am not sure what you are trying to
...Show more

Hi Jim, the JPG and RAW get stored side by side in my directories and make it hard to tell apart when browsing. I don't really need the jpg because the RAW is easy to convert and is absolutely required for non web stuff and even for my HDR workflow which also gets shown ins some WEB venues, just not FM.

Apr 21, 2015 at 09:01 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · PP experiment

RustyBug wrote:
Looks like the ACR version has more gamma / curve / contrast ... BUT (and this could a big BUT), I'm on my OLD T60 backup laptop that hasn't been calibrated in quite a while. Although, for contrast comparison ... it should still render more vs. less okay.

I left out on the project and forgot to bring my good one. Good thing I had already "stashed" this one for a field backup.

It is fairly easy to change some of this in ACR or DPP. DPP allows more contrast and has a shadows slider too. I can change sharpness and exposure. And ACR has tons of processing power. But then I am just using DPP to do some Ben processing. Got to get Ben out of the picture because his visual judgement is unfit for the intended venue.So I want to stick as close to possible to the defaults. I could have chosen neutral but the is pretty dull.

DPP does handle colors better, always have had a problem with Cyan skies in ACR

Apr 21, 2015 at 09:05 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · PP experiment

lighthound wrote:
I would choose the ARC image due to the slight increase in contrast but I like the sky better in the DPP. With that said however, if you were to hang these on oposite walls I don't think my eyes would pick up on the differences between them.

Yesterday I was reading up on my 70D's various High ISO NR and other settings and ran across some information I never knew about regarding the DPP software. This might be common knowledge to you Ben and others but I thought I mention it here as it might be relative to what you
...Show more

Thanks, I did not know this about the settings. All the settings I care about can be seen in Breeze Browser on the raws and I only shoot raws. The finished jpgs also have as much as I really care about like iso lens info and exposure stuff.

And of course, the lack of DR is a victim of choosing to work with a single exposure. DPP and ACR can both boost shadows and adjust exposure, but nothing like a blended image.

Apr 21, 2015 at 09:08 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.