New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Tripod Setup: Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT + Smith-Victor BH8 Head

Bartlett Pair
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tripod Setup: Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT + Smith-Victor BH8 Head

I very rarely need a tripod, but would like to have one for pictures of my own family and occasionally wedding long exposures. I'm looking in the $200-250 range for legs + head. I was about to purchase the below, but considering I know very little about this topic I figured I would get some outside opinions first.

Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT $150 - $20 mail in rebate = $130
For the legs, I want something that extends to ~6ft tall. I do not plan on using this for macro.

Smith-Victor BH8 Metal Alloy Ball Head $59
For the head, I want to be able to use a 5d iii, 70-200 2.8, and a speedlite. I need arca.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Apr 21, 2015 at 06:20 AM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tripod Setup: Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT + Smith-Victor BH8 Head

Looks like a decent enough set up. Kind of heavy at 4.4 lbs and doesn't have much for a minimum height, 52.1", plus it's a little bulky if you plan on traveling with it. It does extend to 65" though.

I'm hooked on Mefoto right now for some reason, they are made by Benro which is a decent enough tripod company. For the about the same money you can get a MeFoto A1350Q1K Roadtrip tripod and head that's over 2 lbs lighter, gets to within 15.4" to the ground and folds up to 15.4". One leg even detaches for a monopod if you desire. The downside is it only extends to 61.6" vs 65", and has five leg sections vs three on the Vanguard.

Myself, I've got a smaller Benro for backpacking and a Gitzo 3 series for my bigger glass. I just ordered a MeFoto carbon fiber set-up at $400 for my midsize traveling. It was on sale. The point to all this is I believe in Benro quality, while maybe not as refined as a Gitzo or RRS, it's decent enough, especially for the cost concious and or infrequent tripod users.

The Vanguard seems decent enough, just a little heavy, which can be a good thing for tripods, a little bulky if you're traveling with it, and doesn't hug the ground very close. No idea what the head performs like, my past experience with the Benro head on my smallest set of legs was decent, although I later upgraded it to a smaller Markins head.

Just my 2 cents.

Apr 21, 2015 at 05:31 PM
Bartlett Pair
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tripod Setup: Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT + Smith-Victor BH8 Head

Wow that's very helpful! Any thoughts on mefoto's roadtrip vs globetrotter? With the gear I mentioned above I don't need the extra max weight of the globetrotter, but I'm reading that it's generally sturdier and the extra max height is nice. I don't specifically need this for airplane carry on purposes, so I may just go globetrotter.

Apr 21, 2015 at 07:05 PM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tripod Setup: Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT + Smith-Victor BH8 Head

I think that would be an excellent choice, and it's within your set budget. It's actually the same one I just ordered only I assume you're looking at the aluminum version vs the carbon fiber I went with. Not much difference really except the price.

I liked the specs, especially the max and min height, plus the Benro reputation based on a past purchase.

Apr 21, 2015 at 08:25 PM
Bartlett Pair
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tripod Setup: Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT + Smith-Victor BH8 Head

Ugh looks like the Globetrotter has historically been $200, but last month all merchants bumped it up to $249.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Mefoto-A2350Q2K-GlobeTrotter-Travel-Tripod/product/B00BETIVUC?context=browse

Apr 21, 2015 at 10:58 PM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tripod Setup: Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT + Smith-Victor BH8 Head

Yeah you're right, still a good tripod imho though.

I know many folks aren't a big fan of eBay but they do have these almost straight from the source probably for $210 with free shipping. I've always had good luck with this site, and reassuring to have PayPal in case things go south. I've never had to put in a claim. Sometimes the shipping from China can be an extra week or so however.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MeFoto-GlobeTrotter-A2350Q2-Aluminium-Tripod-Monopod-Kit-BLACK-EXPRESS-SHIP-/271347855610?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2d97b0fa

Apr 22, 2015 at 10:18 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.