FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Wrong way, go back!

morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wrong way, go back!

The first time out with new equipment involves a learning curve. This is the story of one of a lesson well learned.

I'm using my brand new Sigma 150-600 Sport lens and set up to photograph the male osprey when it returns to the nest with building materials. I wait patiently for the osprey to fill the frame and am planning to zoom back for a nice full frame image. I have the shot all lined up and I start to rotate the zoom ring and it dose not move. Now I don't want to miss the photos so I compose the best I can with too much lens and take a few photos as the osprey lands. I figure I left the zoom ring locked so I take a moment and see it's not locked. Back to the ring and it still dose not move. By this time the osprey is in the nest and I still have not figured it out. As he takes off I remembered Sigma lenses rotate in the opposite direction as Nikon lenses. Now I remember this by the signs that warn drivers not to make the horrible mistake.

Here are a few images with too much glass:

041815DSC_0312 by Morris0, on Flickr

041815DSC_0314 by Morris0, on Flickr

041815DSC_0317 by Morris0, on Flickr

041815DSC_0322 by Morris0, on Flickr

041815DSC_0324 by Morris0, on Flickr

041815DSC_0325 by Morris0, on Flickr

041815DSC_0327 by Morris0, on Flickr

D300 + 150-600 Sport @ 600mm, ISO 400, 1/1600, f6.3, fill flash (Metz 64 + JJC flash extender)

It is fun to be able to laugh at our selves!

Morris

Apr 20, 2015 at 07:34 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wrong way, go back!

I've been laughing at myself for decades! I had the same issue the year I switched to Nikon...the good news is you can go back and do it again so no harm, no foul.
Eric

Apr 20, 2015 at 07:52 PM
psharvic
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wrong way, go back!

The perils of new equipment. Well done, Morris.

Apr 20, 2015 at 08:08 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wrong way, go back!

I will be eagerly awaiting the next set with zoom in full operation. But you need to get that plastic bag out of there first. Such and eyesore.

These are great despite the clipping.

TFS
Geoff

Apr 20, 2015 at 08:37 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wrong way, go back!

I feel your pain Morris... having switched back to Nikon after spending the last 10 years with Canon, I have engaged in an endless list of rookie errors these las few months... time and practice makes these senior moments fade into the past.

bruce

Apr 20, 2015 at 08:37 PM
davidearls
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wrong way, go back!

Even if you got flummoxed with the zoom ring, it sure looks like you have perfect focus and exposure worked out. Great looking shots even with your own-pointed-out missteps. Looking forward to a lot of nice images from this lens in your hands.

Apr 20, 2015 at 09:06 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wrong way, go back!

I'd rather have too much glass than not enough Morris. Still a nice set. With all this cutting, you could be a surgeon ~ Ron

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:46 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.