FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · My rant of the day

jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My rant of the day

People who stand during the couples first dance.

Apr 20, 2015 at 01:29 PM
S-Man23
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My rant of the day

LoL I was thinking this after flipping through a wedding from Saturday. For me it seems like there's always someone just blocking a perfect shot on an incredible moment, or some doofus with a red tie ruining an otherwise great shot.

Apr 20, 2015 at 01:42 PM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My rant of the day

but it could be a nice image if that person was the FOB or MOB, I always try to capture something like that

Apr 20, 2015 at 02:02 PM
MalachiConstant
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My rant of the day

It would be way better if we was using an ipad to video it.

Apr 20, 2015 at 02:19 PM
S-Man23
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My rant of the day

Kind of looks like this guy waiting for the right moment...

Apr 20, 2015 at 02:23 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My rant of the day

Most weddings I photograph people stand around the dance floor watching the first dance - the b&g then call them on so I guess don't see the problem. Guests are part of the event/moment and otherwise they could be dancing in a bokeh-fied anywhere.

If that is the worst photobomb/UB/ipadiot I'd had die happy!

Apr 20, 2015 at 02:40 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My rant of the day

You would rather they all sit down and act un-interested?

Apr 20, 2015 at 02:40 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My rant of the day

Um, standing during the first dance is quite common. I think this is more about the photographer's chosen position.

Apr 20, 2015 at 03:03 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My rant of the day

Most of the guests were sitting. This spot is one of my favorites to shoot in this venue because of the arch in the background. I just felt like ragging on the dude in the red tie for spoiling my otherwise quite excellent photo.

Apr 20, 2015 at 06:57 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My rant of the day

It's unbelievable what we have to put up with!

I mean people go and have these weddings as if it's about them, not us being able to capture perfect pictures. Why would you have a wedding if you are not going to put effort into making things as perfect and easy for the photographer as possible and have them as the first and most important criteria of the day?
It just makes no sense does it?

These couples have their ceremonies in Churches that no one bothered to think about putting lighting into that would be perfect for our photos, they have the weddings in reception places with equally poor lighting we have to go to the trouble of putting our own lights in...... I mean geez, They don't even consider the time of day for pictures, instead they work around the availability of the church.
You'd think you were dealing with god the way these churches don't consider or take into account our specific needs.

Why dosen't the minister meet with us beforehand to make sure the lighting in the place is exactly the way each and every shooter that honours their church with their presence wants it? Damn poor service if you ask me.

Couples who are not A grade international models expect us to photograph their everyday looks, they have average people in their wedding party..... Geez they don't even put any effort into selecting highly photogenic parents for our pictures!
no foresight or consideration what so ever!

Forget about the non stunning spouses, but then they go invite 100 family and friends without pre selecting them on a looks and photogenic basis. They aren't even trained where to stand so they are in the right spot at the right time for every pic we want to take. That's why we have unworkable fiascos like this that ruin our visions of perfection.
It's just not fair!!

And don't even get me started that some of these family and friends want to intrude on our god given moral and legal rights to be the only people on earth to own and operate a camera!

Talk about selfish!!

And to top it all off, some of these people even have the audacity to have their weddings on days where it raining or overcast or otherwise less than perfect for the shooters needs! For crying out loud, they have like a year or more to pick a perfect day, whats so hard about choosing to have you wedding on a photographically perfect day instead of a crappy one? Not once have I ever heard of a B&G expressing a modicum of gratitude by doubling the photographers fee as a small token of their appreciation for them coming out on a cool or undesirable weather day.
Dunno how shooters put up with it really I don't!!

It's a good job there are saints with cameras like us in the world to bear the burden of these ungrateful and take their money even if we don't get to shoot perfect pics and have everything pre arranged just the way we like it.

I think it's about time we stood up for ourselves if guests are going to stand during the wedding dance.

We should say " Look, if you are going to make this whole wedding thing about you instead of us getting the worlds most perfect picture, you can forget about paying us thousands to cover it, we are just going to go and pay out of out own pocket for professional models, stunning locations, set designers and lighting guys so we can get pictures as perfect as we want them".

That would show them.
Maybe then they would realize the only reason for putting on a wedding in the first place is so the shooters can get perfect pics with no effort so they can blog what great photographers they are.

Apr 20, 2015 at 09:49 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My rant of the day

Tell us what you really mean Glort.

And I trust you know that my post is 85% tongue in cheek.

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:59 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My rant of the day

Baby carriages, and smartphones everywhere. I can edit out the carriage this time.
http://www.joeyallenphoto.com/forumpics/BabyCarriage-01.jpg
I also miss seeing more work from some of the best photographers on this forum, but I can still go to their websites for that. Still, it kept a positive feeling going here.

Apr 22, 2015 at 01:30 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · My rant of the day

Here in the UK, in 7yrs of covering weddings I don't think I've ever shot a first dance during which the guests weren't congregated around the dance floor. It's standard practice here.

Apr 22, 2015 at 04:31 PM
MattGruber
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · My rant of the day

People standing during the first dance or parent dances don't bother me at all. I usually can get a really good emotional shot of a guest getting teary-eyed watching.

However.... when the bride is walking down the aisle... and that one person has to put their entire body into the aisle so they can snap a photo, drives me crazy. Every other family member and guest is able to take photos from their spot, but not this person. This person has to be physically in the aisle, making me either zoom in, or crop them out. End of the world? No, but it can ruin what would be an amazing wide shot.

Apr 22, 2015 at 06:49 PM
Doug Maclean
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · My rant of the day

glort wrote:
It's unbelievable what we have to put up with!

I mean people go and have these weddings as if it's about them, not us being able to capture perfect pictures. Why would you have a wedding if you are not going to put effort into making things as perfect and easy for the photographer as possible and have them as the first and most important criteria of the day?
It just makes no sense does it?

These couples have their ceremonies in Churches that no one bothered to think about putting lighting into that would be perfect for our photos, they have
...Show more

As a self employed person most of my life but not a professional photographer.And I do shoot for $ on occasion..weddings..events.I think your perspective and sarcastic soliloquy is dead on..Bravo!! .Doug M

Apr 23, 2015 at 08:01 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · My rant of the day

glort wrote:
That would show them.

You made me chuckle!

Apr 23, 2015 at 08:35 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · My rant of the day

MattGruber wrote:

People standing during the first dance or parent dances don't bother me at all.

Isn't that the norm?

Apr 24, 2015 at 09:56 AM
MattGruber
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · My rant of the day

D. Diggler wrote:
Isn't that the norm?

Absolutely, which is why it doesn't bother me.

Apr 24, 2015 at 10:04 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · My rant of the day

Standing people are like church ladies. They should all be banned to the cloak room.

Apr 24, 2015 at 01:43 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.