Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · How's my copy of the 16-35 f4 IS?

Liquidstone
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How's my copy of the 16-35 f4 IS?

Not being an UWA guy, I'm not sure if my copy of this well-regarded zoom is up to par. The IQ does look much, much better than my Sigma 10-20 on APS-C, particularly on the longer end. On the 16 mm end however, the extreme lower corners are not as sharp as the rest of the frame (but then perhaps I'm expecting too much?).

35 mm, f/11, 5.2 MB full-res jpeg, straight from DPP and unedited in PS except being saved as quality 10 jpeg:
http://www.pbase.com/liquidstone/image/159803778/original

16 mm, f/11, 4.4 MB full-res jpeg, straight from DPP and unedited in PS except being saved as quality 10 jpeg:
http://www.pbase.com/liquidstone/image/159804020/original

I did shoot a detailed wall and the IQ at the wide end is similar to the one posted, hence I'm inclined to believe that DOF is not the culprit at the extreme corners.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Romy

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:05 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How's my copy of the 16-35 f4 IS?

Hi Romy,

It's hard to say. I think the corners on mine are better at f/11 and 16mm against a vertical wall than your example of the ground, but the gravel is getting pretty close. The apparent unsharpness is certainly most obvious in the corners, but you can see it at the centre/bottom edge too. I'd be tempted to use a tilt lens if I wanted the foreground sharper, when it's that close.

On the up-side, the bright highlights on the windshield and on the name of the truck on the left (in the 35mm photo) show a remarkable lack of CA.

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:19 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How's my copy of the 16-35 f4 IS?

You can't really tell about the top corners as there is nothing much going on, I would say my lens's corners are better at 16mm @ f11, and I had to send my first 16-35IS back because it wasn't sharp, so there is batch variation.

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:30 AM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How's my copy of the 16-35 f4 IS?

I think your lens probably does not have any problem in the corners. With the 16-35 4 IS, you get this effect when you are at the margin of your DOF. You can see the focus deteriorating as you approach the bottom edge of image. To confirm just focus a little closer and you will see the corners become sharp. Try a little different test setup.

Edited on Apr 20, 2015 at 02:31 PM · View previous versions

Apr 20, 2015 at 11:36 AM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How's my copy of the 16-35 f4 IS?

This test is kinda iffy, but the corners at the rocks don't look sharp enough--especially for f/11 in the second image. My 16-35 f/4L IS is incredibly sharp wide open.

I would carefully test it again shooting perfectly parallel to an evenly illuminated textured wall. On a tripod, at f/4, no IS, raw, no processing at 35mm, 24mm and 16mm. If there is an corner issue, the problem will jump out at you.

Apr 20, 2015 at 01:29 PM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How's my copy of the 16-35 f4 IS?

The blurry part is very small and it's located in the very far corners. I think it's very good considering it's FF. Certainly better than my 16-35 II on 1,3x crop.

OTOH, I don't agree with posting photos that are not edited. Sometimes a little bit of sharpening turns a "somewhat soft photo" into fully useable photo. Why don't you do your normal processing and sharpening. If the results are unacceptable even after PP, you should take action.

Apr 20, 2015 at 01:35 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How's my copy of the 16-35 f4 IS?

The only thing that I will say about my 16-35IS, in comparison with my much used 17-40L is that the 16-35IS is excellent right into the corners.

That one isn't for whatever reason (at 16mm anyway) - even by f11

Apr 20, 2015 at 01:46 PM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How's my copy of the 16-35 f4 IS?

dhphoto wrote:
The only thing that I will say about my 16-35IS, in comparison with my much used 17-40L is that the 16-35IS is excellent right into the corners.

That one isn't for whatever reason (at 16mm anyway) - even by f11

The whole foreground looks a bit fuzzy. So less than perfect capture technique was probably a factor as well.

Apr 20, 2015 at 01:58 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How's my copy of the 16-35 f4 IS?

Milan Hutera wrote:
The whole foreground looks a bit fuzzy. So less than perfect capture technique was probably a factor as well.

Yes very possibly, I think there are much better testing conditions than having no detail to check in the top of the frame too

Apr 20, 2015 at 02:02 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How's my copy of the 16-35 f4 IS?

It is expected that the extreme corners are better than this. If I was doing the test myself, I wouldn't get peace of mind until I had tried the same scene with Live View focus on the corners. Even at 16 mm and f/11 DOF can be a limiting factor, in addition to possible field curvature.

Apr 20, 2015 at 02:23 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How's my copy of the 16-35 f4 IS?

Romy, if its not a DOF issue, its soft, esp on the right bottom corner. I have some test shots for you I will give a link too with both brick wall and vegatation.

Apr 20, 2015 at 05:41 PM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How's my copy of the 16-35 f4 IS?

Thanks everyone for the enlightening comments. I stand corrected - it's indeed a DOF/focus placement issue.

alundeb wrote:
It is expected that the extreme corners are better than this. If I was doing the test myself, I wouldn't get peace of mind until I had tried the same scene with Live View focus on the corners. Even at 16 mm and f/11 DOF can be a limiting factor, in addition to possible field curvature.

Great UWA testing tip, thanks!

I did this (LV AF with the focusing box in extreme corner, one shot per corner) and I'm now a believer - my 16-35 f4 IS is sharp at all corners even wide open, provided focus placement is right.

Here's a sample at f/8 (the IQ at the corners at f/4 is not so far behind):

http://www.pbase.com/liquidstone/image/159810870/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/liquidstone/image/159810871/original.jpg

Again, thanks all for the tips/comments.

Apr 20, 2015 at 07:28 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How's my copy of the 16-35 f4 IS?

That's more like it.

Apr 21, 2015 at 01:20 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.